Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I named my dog Rossi.
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an old SV650 that's been in storage for many years. The sprockets don't show much wear, but the chain is rusted. On my R6 track bike I've always just done DiD or EK 520 chain kits with sprockets included. Something like 8,500+ lbs tensile strength. Obviously no problems.

The SV650 comes 525 stock. I'm keeping the sprockets so I just need an affordable 525 chain (really trying to stay within budget for this project bike). Manufacturers are ALL OVER THE PLACE when it comes to what they think is appropriate tensile strength for any class of bike. I've seen 7,500 lb tensile strength only recommended up to a 300cc bike. That seems... weird.

The SV puts out a measly 64hp, but similar torque numbers as any middleweight inline 4. Do I need a $100 8,500 lbs tensile strength chain? :confused:

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Just picked up an old SV650 that's been in storage for many years. The sprockets don't show much wear, but the chain is rusted. On my R6 track bike I've always just done DiD or EK 520 chain kits with sprockets included. Something like 8,500+ lbs tensile strength. Obviously no problems.

The SV650 comes 525 stock. I'm keeping the sprockets so I just need an affordable 525 chain (really trying to stay within budget for this project bike). Manufacturers are ALL OVER THE PLACE when it comes to what they think is appropriate tensile strength for any class of bike. I've seen 7,500 lb tensile strength only recommended up to a 300cc bike. That seems... weird.

The SV puts out a measly 64hp, but similar torque numbers as any middleweight inline 4. Do I need a $100 8,500 lbs tensile strength chain? :confused:
Do you need one? No. But I would still rather have a quality chain from a brand I trust, even on a bike with only 64hp. I'd just go with a 520 and be done with it. Sprockets are cheaper and easier to find, and chains are usually cheaper too.

I'll pretty much only run a D.I.D. 520 ERV3. Never had an issue, so I like to stick with what I know and trust. Dan Kyle has them the cheapest I've seen anywhere on the net: http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/product.sc?productId=201&categoryId=87

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Got the pitbull 520 setup on my gen 1 racebike. It was $160 or so for everything. It was about 1/2 lb lighter than the 525 setup.
Gearing is 15/45 if I remember correctly.
Bike doesnt make much hp but does make more torque than an R6 (about 50lb ft) :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts