Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I dunno what it is, but I dont seem to be improving. Kinda keeping constant slow speed through corners. I get a little bit better on the track but im still basically at the very back of the slow group. I seem to always let of the throttle during the corner. Something always never feels right. especially on publics roads, either I dont trust me or the tyres to go faster. Im generally onl about 10-20km/h over the recommended corner speed signs. I especially have trouble with slow corners

Ive been riding for two years and my tyres have done two track days but still have plenty of tread left.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
Most of it is probably in your head. Rolling off the throttle mid turn is one of the worst things you can do. It will upset the suspension and make you feel even less in control. You should buy Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II and read it cover to cover. Don't worry about being slow or fast, worry about being smooth, confident and in control.

Combined with reading that, you should evaluate your tire pressures and suspension set up. Having tire pressures that are way off or suspension that is not compliant will really degrade the performance of the bike and will contribute to you not being comfortable on the bike.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Find an instructor who you can work with, and spend whatever it time/money takes to be comfortable. Don't rush yourself or compare your speeds with others. Everyone is different. I'd rather ride with someone slow who was predictable and comfortable with their speed, vs someone riding over their head trying to prove something to themselves or anyone else.

Don't worry at all about speeds on the street. Go whatever speed you feel comfortable, and don't ever forget that the street is way more dangerous than the track. It isn't a place to improve on any skill other than being a better street rider.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
phillip island,

I know people progress differently. But my speeds on the street have not progressed at all in the past 6 months that I can tell. Thats with doing 2 track days.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
phillip island,

I know people progress differently. But my speeds on the street have not progressed at all in the past 6 months that I can tell. Thats with doing 2 track days.
Wow. I'm pretty jealous of that. I would go back there as often as possible.

Don't worry about your speed on the street, worry about your control.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
phillip island,

2 track days isn't much at all...especially over what time span?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Make sure you get your suspension dialed in correctly; check out some of the other threads on here for specifics. If your bike is not set up for your weight or your dampening is too soft then the bike will not react as well to your inputs, making it seem as though the problem is coming directly from your inputs alone. I've had a lot of instances where my buddies just starting out have the same grievances and lack of confidence. After a few quick sag and dampening alterations, I've seen 10-15 seconds instantly shaved off their lap times with heaps of compliments about how much easier it feels to ride. Our bikes are seemingly infinite in their range of adjustment and they are designed to have the bike adapted to the rider, not have the rider adapt to the bike so-to-speak.

But with your limited time out there you might also need some confidence boosting that can only be remedied with experience. I'm also super jealous of Phillip Island...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Find a large empty, CLEAN, smooth parking lot.

Set up cones according to the state's motorcycle maneuverability test and master it.
http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/MOP0001.pdf

I intentionally set the cones a little closer than the book demanded.

Ride circles, focusing on left turns first. (if you're more comfortable with left turns) Ride the circle with a comfortable lean. Progressively, carefully, increase your lean angle on the turns. Once you're comfortable with an increased lean, focus on making your right turn lean angle, match your left.

Getting comfortable with maneuverability also heavily relies upon your ability to be able to rapidly lean the bike from left to right. This is harder to test, even in a large parking lot.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
You'll want your turns to be lloonngg by the way. A quick lean here and there won't get it.

You won't be able to experiment with hitting gravel, bumps, craters and such in a turn.

But you can experiment with light braking, light acceleration in those long turns.

·
wat?
722 Posts
But my speeds on the street have not progressed at all
Good. Ride slow on the street.

Go do more track days. 2 days is nothing, especially over 6 months. You have a specific thing to work on (i.e., not chopping the throttle, roll on smoothly through the corner), so go and focus on that at your next track day.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Keep your eyes as far down the track as possible. Looking 30 feet in front of you is pointless, as you can't correct that fast anyway. Looking waaaay down the track slows your brain down.

Other good advise from above - go to a track day and find a good coach to work with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts