Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to change my oil and I have some oil sitting around in my garage but I don't know if it'll work in my FZ6. It's Kendall GT-1 High Performance Motor Oil. I have two kinds of it, SAE 40 and SAE 20w-50. Will either of these work? And does oil have an expiration date? Not sure how old this stuff is. Hahah I'm still learning. :lmao

·
up on one
332 Posts
personally, i wouldnt use it. i dont believe kendall makes motorcycle oil's which do have some additives that car oils do not have. second, if i did use that, go with 20-50. third, no, there is really no expiration date. as long as it has not been unopened, or the cap has been resealed tightly.

edit: use fully synthetic

·
My R6 will eat yours.
54 Posts
its alittle more but go with Mobil 1, I've run it in all my race bikes and street bikes and never had one problem.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Does Advance Auto Parts or O'Reilly sell motorcycle oil? I'm on a budget and trying to avoid the stealerships. What weight/type is best?
I believe Advance Auto Parts only has Royal Purple. Some mechanics really hate it some love it.

I go to my local Cycle Gear to pick up my oil.

·
My R6 will eat yours.
54 Posts
oh yeah....sorry man I use 10w-30, just keep in mmind its synthetic, they say once you go synthetic you can't go back to normal oil. Not sure if its true or not but I've allways stuck to it.

·
Hola Amigos!
1,955 Posts
No Cycle Gear in my area.
Dude, there is a Cycle Gear in Taylors (near me about... 30 min ride for you) and one in Columbia.. :secret Get your ass on the road bro! :poke

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude, there is a Cycle Gear in Taylors (near me about... 30 min ride for you) and one in Columbia.. :secret Get your ass on the road bro! :poke
Well you could show me if you'd ever fcukin ride with me lol. But I can't ride that far. I'm already 10 miles overdue for my oil change :nono But I've got my new oil. I went with Mobil 1 10w-30. So I'm set!:toocool: AND I'm goin to the Dragon tomorrow!! Hahah everything is right in my world at the moment :)

·
vroom on a yamaha
550 Posts
I found mobile1 full synthetic motorcycle oil at Wal-Mart for cheap. they don't have that many in stock, but sometimes u get lucky and find some.

·
R stands for RaceBike
9,022 Posts
i get my mobile 1 from carquest

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
But I can't ride that far. I'm already 10 miles overdue for my oil change :nono
OH GOD..... TURN IT OFF NOW!!!!! 10 whole miles over the interval.... You crazy fcuker.....:laugh

·
Hola Amigos!
1,955 Posts
Alright ****er, I'm 99% sure heading to somewhere in West GA for a ride Sunday. Not sure where or what part of GA and not sure which roads to get there sooo... You down to get lost on back roads?! :dunce:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Car oil is fine, and is what i've ran for years, as long as it doesn't say "energy convserving" on the back you are fine. I've ran syntec 5-40 in my all of my bikes for years because i get it for free at work.

·
Centurion Motorsports
198 Posts
If you go synthetic, you can go back, that is an old wives tale. 10W-40 is what I run. Plus Mobile 1 is actually a really good oil and you can find it almost anywhere. Run AMSOIL but I am also a distributer so I get it cheap

·
Hola Amigos!
1,955 Posts
AMSOIL ftw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts