Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the story, I was riding and doing a few wheelies and on the way home the speedo / tach started flickering and the rpms were bouncing all over, but the bike did not die. I made it home and took a look at the fuses (all fine) and at the cable connecting to the back of the tach, hoping it was loose but it was also fine. Then a few hours later the tach / speedo were fine again, recieving power and all was good. Then 1 week later due to rain I went to start it and it was dead, I might have caused this because I left the headlights on becuase it was dark when I was working on it and it sat for a week without starting. So I had a friend pop start it with me and it fired up and was fine. I go to grab my helmet and when I get back to the bike the tach is flickering again and the tach is bouncing all over and then shuts off, with not power. Right now when I turn the key on there is no power to it at all. What the hell could this be? Also isnt the rectifier a problem with all R6s if I remember right, and could it be that? thanks in advance if anyone can help b/c I am losing it right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
this never happened to me but it happend to my car. I ended up changing the batttery (4 y/o) and new alternator. not sure it that causes the flickering on your bike....my 0.2
john :idea:

·
Registered
524 Posts
The instruments are all electronic. It could have just died. Probably won't be cheap to replace. You should check the wiring going to the tach first. See if you can get another wiring harness and replace the existing one first. If you know someone with the same bike as yours, try removing your tach and plug it into their bike to see if it works..

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
what year is your bike ?

can't help you with the information you gave really, but if i were you and you really love your bike take it to a professional and have them check it out could save you 100's later
:cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course I love my bike, its a 1999. Its going to have to go to a mechanic soon but im pretty broke right now. I was hoping someone might have gone through this before but well have to see. What happens when the rectifier goes bad?? What does it do exactly and isnt that a common thing to go bad on R6s ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts