Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Need Help--07' Making Weird Noise While Riding

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  61maysin 
#1 ·
I'm no mechanic, but I'll try to describe this the best I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an 07' R6 (not "s" model) with about 4,000 miles on it. I've had every maintainence done on time at the stealership. I live in Montana and the riding season has just started. I had the bike winterized at the stealership and kept it in the garage.

I've taken it out a few times already, but yesterday I noticed a noise occuring in first and second when I rev the bike and then let off the throttle. It sounds like a tin can rattling somewhere in the front. It only happens If I rev up to 4 or 5K and let off the throttle to slow down. It didn't seem to happen at other RPMs, and it only happens when I am riding. Not if the bike is parked and I rev the engine. Any ideas? (I haven't done any performance mods yet)

#2 ·
Mine does (I think) the same thing. It does it when I ride hard in first to the red line too but doesn't do it in any other gear. The research I have found leans me towards the infamous Yamaha ticking that everyone says is normal. Your noise my be differnt than mine but your description is close to how I would describe mine. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
I have no previous experience with the ticking so I could be wrong. Its not a rattle but it does sound like something tapping on the sides of a tin can. How old is yours? Could you take it in for a warranty issue still?

#6 ·
My 06 did that and my 07 does it now too (started around 4,000 miles) It doesn't worry me but i wouldn't mind knowing what exactly it is.

My noise is exactly how you discribed... a metal rattling noise from the front end when the throttle is let off in lower rps. I checked for anything loose (actually took the whole front end off) but i didnt find anything.

#7 ·
This may be a long shot, but is your chain tight?
You could be hearing your chain slap around, like I said it may be a long shot but who knows?

#9 ·
it's probably normal, mine makes some weird whistle type noise when it's cold < 34 F. I'm from montana also, we should ride some time if your close enough.

#10 ·
Mine hasn't started doing it (1200 miles) but I would be interest to find out what is causing this. :cool:

#12 ·
i know, i ride with snow on the ground pretty often though, just got to take it easy and be ready to through a foot down.

#13 ·
check the heat shield on the cat???? typical car issue...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.