Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? I just got a 2000 R6 and i am having some problems. The bike will not hold idle. Usually it holds a little less then 2000 RPMs. Now it won't hold idle to stay on. I talked to a guy tonight, that said he has been riding for awhile and he said that I should change the plugs and clean the fuel injectors. What do you guys think? Please I am open for suggestions.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Need help.

That's probably a good place to start-a clean system is a happy system.

So does the bike start and rev up and then turn off? Or does it just click? Any other noises? Have you done any electrical work on it?
I had a friend that had similar problems, and it turned out to be an electrica short in one of his flushmounts. Bike would start and not hold an idle, and then not turn on at all.

Maybe with some more info, one of the engine system guru's could help you out

·
Registered
313 Posts

Easiest (and cheapest) thing to start with is the battery. Check the connections and try jumping it and see if runs like that. That will possibly eliminate your problem and need to $pend. If the bike has been sitting and/or you have been doing any electrical work (ie flush mounts) then all the key cycling could have worn the battery low. Bikes do not charge more than they drain at idle. They require some rev (if I remember right 1200 rpm) to begin actually charging the system. This is where I would start before I did anything else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The bike turns on and drives it is just that when I come to a stop light, pull in the clutch, it turns off. It has been sitting for about 6 months. And I went by the Yamaha today and they said the best thing they could think of is getting new jets. And I should replace the spark plug. The bike sounds fine it just dose not hold a idel. I had about 5 people tell me the jets are what i need to replace dose that sound at all right?

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts

your bike is a 2000 (carb) not fuel injected, check out the float or have your carb adjusted. Replace the gas with fresh new gas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

your bike is a 2000 (carb) not fuel injected, check out the float or have your carb adjusted. Replace the gas with fresh new gas.
It's not sitting now, I have refilled the gas about 5 times. I talked to anthor guy toing and he said it was my Pilot jet. He said that he can u a drill bit to clean it out. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
45 Posts

Dont do that. Yes our bikes are carbed. There is a rotary dial on the right side of the bike next to the engine and near the mid fairing. twist it clock wise till the engine speeds up. How does it run any other time full throttle? part throttle?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Dont do that. Yes our bikes are carbed. There is a rotary dial on the right side of the bike next to the engine and near the mid fairing. twist it clock wise till the engine speeds up. How does it run any other time full throttle? part throttle?
It runs perfectly noraml or than that. The thing is when I got the bike it was already at a normal idel, then we get cold weather and the thing starts running crappy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts