Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Wannabe track addict
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one point I used to be pretty good with keeping up to date with everything computers, but now I pretty much know nothing :nono I know a couple of you guys have super gaming computers and whatnot, so I defer to you for advice.

The time has come to replace my desktop. I don't really use it for much other than making it my media center. I download all my movies and music to it and between downloading and playing them, that accounts for probably 98% of all i'll ever use it for.

Would I be better off just getting another off the shelf system or would it be better to have one built so I only get the upgraded hardware that I need? The only major thing for me is that I want it to be able to handle playing back a blu-ray. The one I have now will freeze and skip during action scenes.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
For what you're planning to use it for, it doesn't sound like the hardware requirements will be too high. That being said, it is ALWAYS cheaper to build it yourself than to buy one off the shelf, and for the same amount of money you can build one much more powerful.

Unless it's like a "daily deal" computer from newegg or something. One of those I'd scoop up.

·
Wannabe track addict
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check out new egg then.

IF I did choose to build it myself, what kind of components or specs should I be looking for? And does build it myself comprise of choosing the parts and the site puts it all together or I order individually and assemble myself?

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
I'll have to check out new egg then.

IF I did choose to build it myself, what kind of components or specs should I be looking for? And does build it myself comprise of choosing the parts and the site puts it all together or I order individually and assemble myself?
you order the parts, and build it at home yourself.

·
My Power band is blue
2,344 Posts
For music and movies, I I'd just buy a Mac. You'll never have an issue with it, and it looks sexy in the room.

Now you guys can give me shit for wanting something that just works and doesn't require anything to keep it up to date.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Thats what I figured. I can handle that.

Should I assume that new egg is pretty much the best place to buy the parts from?
Newegg and tiger direct are usually your best places to look.

As for specs, I'd pick up the best Intel I7 processor you can afford, and at least 8 Gigs of DDR3 RAM, and probably a big like 1 terabyte standard hard drive, as well as a decent size solid-state hard drive for quick load/boot times and less lagging on playback. As for power supply and motherboard, I dunno. You probably don't need a graphics card.

For music and movies, I I'd just buy a Mac. You'll never have an issue with it, and it looks sexy in the room.

Now you guys can give me shit for wanting something that just works and doesn't require anything to keep it up to date.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Paying literally 2x more for a computer because it "looks sexy" is ignorant at best. Also, Macs have hardware failures too, so the idea that they're maintenance free is misguided. Furthermore, AFAIK, Mac updates COST YOU MONEY. So what about not costing you anything to keep it up to date? :poke

I've seen some hella sexy custom built desktops in my day. :fact

·
I get paid to get high
735 Posts
Paying literally 2x more for a computer because it "looks sexy" is ignorant at best. Also, Macs have hardware failures too, so the idea that they're maintenance free is misguided. Furthermore, AFAIK, Mac updates COST YOU MONEY. So what about not costing you anything to keep it up to date? :poke

I've seen some hella sexy custom built desktops in my day. :fact

My bro in law is crazy about Mac but I agree with you.

:fact

A buddy of mine owns a custom computer shop and I have seen some crazy liquid cooled set ups.

·
Sherwin Antagonist
1,475 Posts

As for specs, I'd pick up the best Intel I7 processor you can afford, and at least 8 Gigs of DDR3 RAM, and probably a big like 1 terabyte standard hard drive, as well as a decent size solid-state hard drive for quick load/boot times and less lagging on playback. As for power supply and motherboard, I dunno. You probably don't need a graphics card.
:fact this
Im normally all for MAC but, If all your looking for is a home theater pc, best bet would be something like a mATX or mITX mother board with built in HDMI, specs similar to those suggested above and a nice small sleek case, load up XBMC on that bish and you'll be all set.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
m3lover2
10,519 Posts
I bought a dell.. Couple years ago.. And I still cannot complain about the PC. (Only the case is cheap.. CD drive door broke off)

I7 processor. 9 gigs of ram. 750gb hard drive.

I had 2 things fail and upgraded one.

Power supply died. Got an Antec and no issues

Hard drive died. Partly because I never turn the PC off.

Upgraded video card.. I think 2gig nvidia

·
Wannabe track addict
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

:fact this
Im normally all for MAC but, If all your looking for is a home theater pc, best bet would be something like a mATX or mITX mother board with built in HDMI, specs similar to those suggested above and a nice small sleek case, load up XBMC on that bish and you'll be all set.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks for your input guys, I'll be looking into all this. Milko, never heard of XBMC before, googled it and it looks pretty tight!!

I bought a dell.. Couple years ago.. And I still cannot complain about the PC. (Only the case is cheap.. CD drive door broke off)

I7 processor. 9 gigs of ram. 750gb hard drive.

I had 2 things fail and upgraded one.

Power supply died. Got an Antec and no issues

Hard drive died. Partly because I never turn the PC off.

Upgraded video card.. I think 2gig nvidia
Yeah mines a HP, but its like 7 years old at this point. One of the fans quit, hard drive is getting a little sporadic, and theres a definite issue with the motherboard. Just time to move up. With the exception of the last year I've been happy with what I've gotten out of it.

·
Wannabe track addict
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and I have a macbook pro :laugh Thats why I only use the desktop as a media center

·
43 Posts
..just realized i bumped an old thread... sigh.. sorry.

From the post I couldn't tell if you were looking to do streaming (DLNA) or if you were planning on hooking up your new build to a screen of some sort.

The suggestions here we're good for what you should buy spec wise but for your use some of the recommended items might be a little pricey.

You can buy yourself a very small case and a mATX board.

If you are going to stream content I would recommend sticking with lower budget, pick up an i5 and 6-8GB ram. You can get a motherboard with on-board HDMI and avoid having a graphics card, so you'd stream but use HDMI for access to the desktop (or remote desktop or something else). This requires some process for trans-coding depending on the format of the video but it's done of the fly unless you convert to a supported format to whatever you stream too.

If you are going to convert your content to a different format to stream it I would get the i7 and 8GB ram. Onboard graphics can still be used since you won't do much with it but you'll want the beefier processor to do your conversion. An SSD helps a lot here as it reduces your latency a bit.

If you are going to play your content to the TV from HDMI you can still use on-board video with an i5.

Having a graphics card won't really contribute to the performance of serving the content over DLNA and you wouldn't really notice a difference with a PCIe card over the Intel set.. at least not the new stuff (Intel HD 4000). Blu-ray content over 4000... YMMV.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
Build it/Thread as stated before New Egg,Tiger direct.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was part of a gaming community for years... playing css and csgo into Battlefield 4 i was always interested in finding better pc parts...

Newegg is great...STICK WITH NON WATER COOLED as water cooled are a bigger deal then they let on... i went to my local shop.. told them what i was doing and told them what i wanted... i ended up with a Nvidia 780 vid card ( for gaming ) with an I-7 set up.. yea i paid for it cost wise...but like your bike.. get what you want..not what you can afford at the time.. look for a local pc repair shop..ask questions,, STAY AWAY FROM THE GEEK SQUAD AT BEST BUY AT ALL COSTS...You pay out your a$$ for simple repairs..let a small local pc shop build it for you.. that way if something goes wrong with the OS (operating system ) its on them not you...

stick with Intel parts... i know i know ppl will stick up for AMD..But really... A i-7 runs like Rossi's R1.. where AMD is like the Ninja 500 no one admits to owning..amd isnt terrible by any means.. but go with the proven..

good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
AMD runs just as fast and sometimes faster for half the cost.
Only downside is, it runs hotter. Can fix that with a $20 fan
Do what you want to do, but I'm all about saving money.

As for having someone build it for you, it requires barely any experience to DIY. Try it yourself and if you fail, take it to a shop. At least you tried.

Then again, this is an old ass thread xD

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
I was part of a gaming community for years... playing css and csgo into Battlefield 4 i was always interested in finding better pc parts...

Newegg is great...STICK WITH NON WATER COOLED as water cooled are a bigger deal then they let on... i went to my local shop.. told them what i was doing and told them what i wanted... i ended up with a Nvidia 780 vid card ( for gaming ) with an I-7 set up.. yea i paid for it cost wise...but like your bike.. get what you want..not what you can afford at the time.. look for a local pc repair shop..ask questions,, STAY AWAY FROM THE GEEK SQUAD AT BEST BUY AT ALL COSTS...You pay out your a$$ for simple repairs..let a small local pc shop build it for you.. that way if something goes wrong with the OS (operating system ) its on them not you...

stick with Intel parts... i know i know ppl will stick up for AMD..But really... A i-7 runs like Rossi's R1.. where AMD is like the Ninja 500 no one admits to owning..amd isnt terrible by any means.. but go with the proven..

good luck
I have friends that have water-cooled units and love them. Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
15 Posts
sure.. i bought my brother a water cooled cyber power pc.. just an i-5 with a 560ti graphics card at the time.. was a real steal at the price just under 500 with all the options he wanted.. (its been a good while ago ) anyway.. they come pre-assembled..

he filled it with coolant and for a time it ran great.. He was playing css at around 240 fps and it ran smoothly no matter where he connected to.. ( comcast ftw )

anyway.. a month or so goes by.. out of no where one of his coolant tubes melts
and coolant goes everywhere.. all over the psu and mobo.. he trashed everything..

ALL im saying is that if its his 1st build.. he's better off to go with NON liquid cooled.. Im running a roswell I-7 build with enough fans to keep my r6 cool and its near silent..
4 fans to be exact.. 2 push and 2 pull.. keeps airflow rollin and my pc never gets hot..

I played alot of bf3 and BF4.. no issues what so ever.. airflow is key no matter what route he goes... If it was me.. id go non liquid and stick to decent parts that are PROVEN time and time again to work... otherwise.. your taking chances and money doesnt grow on trees...AMD as mentioned before dont like heat.. nothing does.. but i know ive ran my I-7 for months
with only restarts..No issues what so ever..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts