Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery shit the bed so its time to get a new one for spring.

I have been shopping around and doing some research when I realized I am completely battery illiterate.
It seems that every company thinks there battery is the best and will last for ever.

I need a battery that can handle a 2-way pager alarm system active for a few days at a time.
I also need it to have a high life cycle (The ability to be discharged and recharged many times with out losing capacity, current or voltage)

Spring wont be here for another 2-3 months so I'm not worried about price, just performance and reliability.

:cheers

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Optima yellow or blue top.They are deep cycle & made for charging & discharging situations.I have a red top in my car, but its not a deep cycle.Its still a better battery than any conventional type battery.You can mount them in any position(except maybe upside down) & are completely maint free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have read deep cycle is the way to go but alot of companies have just been using that term to help sell their batteries.

How can I tell if its a true deep cycle.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Alot of car guys use yellow or blue top optima for sound competitions, because they can drain the batteries & recharge them without any ill effects.The red top is for everyday type driving or for a vehicle that will be used regularly.If you are storing a vehicle or it wont be driven for several days to extended periods &/or the vehicle has an alarm that will be on during this time.Then a yellow or blue top is the way to go.I would try the optima web site if you dont believe the battery label.Optima is a brand you can trust though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
as far as i know, optima doesn't make a battery for streetbikes, i may be wrong tho....

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
I though i saw some on ebay wayyyyyy back, but i may have been looking at optimas for something other than bikes!

52,014 Posts
Stick with Yuasa... nuff said.

·
Not DoD Blocked
2,339 Posts
just buy any battery. to be honost they are all the built exactly the same, except gel cells but they dont make those for bikes. most batteries are built in the same location and different companies slap their label on the side. unless you buy a gel cell your not going to get much differance if any. my only suggestion is to buy somewhere with a warrenty, like walmart. they have a 2 year warrenty. bring it back in if its bad and they replace it for free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts