Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I bought after-market turn signals and the plugs are metal, so they won't fit into the Yamaha OEM plastic connector.

A few people on the forum told me to just cut the metal off the after-market signals and cut the stock wire and splice the two together.

My question is: Since the aftermarket turn signals come with two wires and the stock wire is only one wire, do I just splice all the wires together and use electric tape on it all?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
no. if you use some wire strippers you can peel back the black around the one wire and you will see that there are 2 (maybe 3) wires in there as well. Match colors and then soder and tape and you'll be good to go. That should be it....thats how i did mine...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I actually have to soder the damn wires together. Can't I just tape the two matching wires together?

·
Registered
202 Posts
As an electrician I would say YES you must solder them together then use heat shrink. The vibrations for the bike will make your "twist and tape" job not last very long. This is your baby, treat her good, It's a chance for you to learn how to solder.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, but the end of the aftermarket turn signal is a bullet connector (male). The yamaha connector is some weird 3 pronged plastic connector. Would I have to solder the yamaha connector into a bullet connector?

I really don't want to have to go to all this trouble to solder the damn thing seeing as how I don't own a soldering iron. The only reason I was going to do it myself is because I didn't want to have to pay the shopguys 35 bucks to get it done. If a soldering iron costs that much, then I guess I'll just go to the repairshop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Shoudn't need to solder the bullet connector. All you need is a good set of pliers or grips to squash the tabs around the wire. Ive Just put 2001 led lights on my 99 model, and I've just done the above to wire in the lights as the connectors were different. I can grab both the wires and pull the conection appart with out the wires coming out of the bullets.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
What I did is this:
Take the after market blinker wires, cut them, and strip the wire ends.
Cut the connector off your OEM blinker, and either solder it, or use butt connectors to connect it to the after market blinker.
NOW you should have the after market blinker with the OEM connector on it. Then, just plug it in to your plug on the bike.

On the front, there are 3 wires. The blue one is for running lights. The other two are your blinker wires. If you leave the blue one off, you won't have running lights. (which is what I did cause I hate running lights)

If you want running lights, I don't know how to hook them up to a 2 wire system so you'll have to ask someone else on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts