Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Psalm 23:4
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bike is an 06 and i'm ready to replace the chain. From what I see/hear its not an expensive upgrade. I've had the bike for 8months and put on about 3k miles on it. I don't know if the chain has ever been replaced. Can you guys give me advice on which chains to keep an eye out for? Not looking to change sprockets.

I think i'm posting in the right area if not mod please move.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
If the chain needs replaced because of miles/wear your sprockets should be changed out as well as they wear together and basically "form" to each other and fall out of spec together. by just putting a new chain on there with old sprockets you'll wear the new chain out much quicker and the sprockets as they will be different specs.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Is the chain actually worn out?? No need to change it if there's nothing wrong with it. And you're just wasting you're $$ if you change the chain and not the sprockets... they wear together, so you put a new chain on half worn sprockets, it'll tear the new chain up much much faster... just an FYI. Just do it right the first time, and do it once

I'm sure you'll get alot of varying opinions with this, so take them all with a grain of salt and use your own judgement... it's your $$ after all. But here's my $0.02 and what I use.... being that I have been through "a few", lol

First off... I wouldn't go back to either a 520 chain or an aluminum rear sprocket if my life depended on it.... JUNK!! Even when properly cared for I was still going through chains every 12-15k miles. I've tried many of the cheaper x and o-ring chains of various brands that are normally stocked at most bike stores for under $100.... still not many last past 15-20k. I've now found a chain/sprocket combo that work very well for me.... it's a little more expensive, but lasts 3x as long. Now I use only: DID 525 VM2 X-ring chain, sunstar front sprocket and JT steel rear sprocket. Like I said it's a little more expensive (chain is about $170 by itself... about $285 for everything), but I've been getting 40,000 miles out of my chain/sprocket sets consistently with almost no stretch. Using a good lube and keeping the chain extremely clean also helps out a ton too...

Like I said this is just my opinion on what I've found works best for me.... I like stuff that lasts, so that means more to me than saving a few bucks in the short term. Do some research and check the tensile strength of the different chains out there.... you'd be surprised how much they vary!

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
Chain wise I like the EK chains, that's what i have always ran and currently on and had no problems and lots of life out of them. EK MVXZ

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far sounds like its a bad decision if i only change the chain and not the sprocket.

So what type of setup would you guys recommend for chain/sprocket change? I know there are different setups but know close to nothing about the whole +1/-2 or whatever.

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
Is the chain actually worn out?? No need to change it if there's nothing wrong with it. And you're just wasting you're $$ if you change the chain and not the sprockets... they wear together, so you put a new chain on half worn sprockets, it'll tear the new chain up much much faster... just an FYI. Just do it right the first time, and do it once

I'm sure you'll get alot of varying opinions with this, so take them all with a grain of salt and use your own judgement... it's your $$ after all. But here's my $0.02 and what I use.... being that I have been through "a few", lol

First off... I wouldn't go back to either a 520 chain or an aluminum rear sprocket if my life depended on it.... JUNK!! Even when properly cared for I was still going through chains every 12-15k miles. I've tried many of the cheaper x and o-ring chains of various brands that are normally stocked at most bike stores for under $100.... still not many last past 15-20k. I've now found a chain/sprocket combo that work very well for me.... it's a little more expensive, but lasts 3x as long. Now I use only: DID 525 VM2 X-ring chain, sunstar front sprocket and JT steel rear sprocket. Like I said it's a little more expensive (chain is about $170 by itself... about $285 for everything), but I've been getting 40,000 miles out of my chain/sprocket sets consistently with almost no stretch. Using a good lube and keeping the chain extremely clean also helps out a ton too...

Like I said this is just my opinion on what I've found works best for me.... I like stuff that lasts, so that means more to me than saving a few bucks in the short term. Do some research and check the tensile strength of the different chains out there.... you'd be surprised how much they vary!

Hey man whats up? Its getting cold here! it was 19 when i left the house this morning, that's not too cold for ya?

To the op: If your looking for longevity I concur with all of the above for sure.

·
Registered
925 Posts
So far sounds like its a bad decision if i only change the chain and not the sprocket.

So what type of setup would you guys recommend for chain/sprocket change? I know there are different setups but know close to nothing about the whole +1/-2 or whatever.
Yes.... very bad idea indeed ;)

The setup is kind of a personal thing and what you like, and what kind of riding you do. For me I love my -1 front sprocket... adds a little bit of kick but not too much that's it's screaming everywhere I go. I spend alot of time on the highway commuting and on long trips, so I needed it to stay well mannered for that kinda stuff too, and it is. Some people may not do as much highway though, or even care about it screaming, and just want more low end power. It's a personal preference, just gotta kinda try it and see what YOU like

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts

It basicly works like this: Aluminum sprockets and smaller pitch chains = less weight and more performance but will wear out faster.

Steel sprockets and larger pitch chains tougher and more life.

The -1+2 is very popular to help out some of the bottom end lag on the 6 but it loses some on the top-end but nothing to concern yourself whatsoever with. But if you do highway/interstate riding it is somewhat annoying!

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually ride my bike harder than usual on the streets and recently started poppin wheelies. I think i might just go with the popular -1+2 setup and most likely aluminum sprockets. Now just gotta decide which brand.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hey man whats up? Its getting cold here! it was 19 when i left the house this morning, that's not too cold for ya?

To the op: If your looking for longevity I concur with all of the above for sure.
I can handle it... I'm not skeeered :D Maybe a little stupid, but... ehhh. If I made it through 2 snow storms, a nice band of freezing rain, and 350 miles where the high temp was 17 deg mid day (all on one trip, lol), and that was before I had my heated jacket.... I think I can handle it no prob now, lol. Heated jacket, heated grips, and my rainsuit and I'm toasty warm. Only thing been getting cold lately is my toes. It was about 28 last night when I was riding home from my buddies house in Hickory (about 55 miles or so) and I was toasty warm other than my toes.... didn't even shiver once. Now if my damn visor would quit fogging up, hahha... gotta go get a fog city insert since the "anti fog" visor on my EXO-1000 is next to worthless

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
Oh dude don't you know whoolies are bad? lol if your gonna go that route 2 popular brands are Vortex and Driven(sprockets), it will still be a steel front sprocket but the rears are aluminum, I would also recommend the hard coated aluminum rears. I know some of the vendors in the vendor section had some good sales on driven this weekend but i don't know if its still going? The chains are like you already heard are DID and like I said EK.

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
I can handle it... I'm not skeeered :D Maybe a little stupid, but... ehhh. If I made it through 2 snow storms, a nice band of freezing rain, and 350 miles where the high temp was 17 deg mid day (all on one trip, lol), and that was before I had my heated jacket.... I think I can handle it no prob now, lol. Heated jacket, heated grips, and my rainsuit and I'm toasty warm. Only thing been getting cold lately is my toes. It was about 28 last night when I was riding home from my buddies house in Hickory (about 55 miles or so) and I was toasty warm other than my toes.... didn't even shiver once. Now if my damn visor would quit fogging up, hahha... gotta go get a fog city insert since the "anti fog" visor on my EXO-1000 is next to worthless
Good lord! helluva lot tougher than me! My little brother just got some fieldsheer insulated/water proof suite that is tough! He just got a 98 yzf 600r(thundercat) Sat. morning and he insisted he could go and get it and ride it home(1.5 hrs) on interstate 81 and route 460 and i just new we would be pullin over every 5 mins. but he stuck in like a trooper and said all that got cold was his hands. But the snow and freezing rain storm is stuff i dont even like getting caught out in in the cages! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is now the biggest TV showgrey's anatomy dvd. I do not see the first episodes, because I'm not a big TV viewer. But when I got a gig, I have not lost a bet then. I watched the DVDsmallville dvd - Grey's Anatomy on several occasions last month. The actors are very different nationalities and personalities. The dialogue is fresh and original. The situations are unique, interesting, and can easilywalt disney dvd identify. Medical scenes are also interesting. I especially like the twists in each episode - seriously, you never know what will happen. original scores are really catchy and carefully placed. Then there's Derek ... oh, can not gohouse md dvd into details here, except that it is a nice boy.There were so many things that I liked the DVD image and sound is impressive. I took it as a gift and I got to watch every show. It'll take me a couple of days, but now they are finally. I hope that people or buy the DVD one tree hill dvdand start watching the show. You fall in love, history and everything else. I hope this review is helpful to everyone and I hope you get to watch the best show on TV, that would be Grey's Anatomy.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
If you go with a hard anodized alum rear you will get 10-20k miles out of it. For most this is more then enough and the chain needs to changed based on the years that are on it by now anyway. I run this set up on all of my 1000cc bikes.

If you want something to last longer look at the new superlight steel chain kits. Very lightweight rear sprockets, but also made out of steel and will last a very long time.

It all depends on what you're after. As someone else said the ek chains are great. Also make sure you get a rivet link wherever you get the chain kit at. Every chain that leaves our shop comes with a rivet link and only a rivet link, but other shops ship out clip master links (what normally come with ek chains). We chuck them all out and replace them with rivet links as they are by far the strongest and most reliable way to connect a chain.

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
This is now the biggest TV showgrey's anatomy dvd. I do not see the first episodes, because I'm not a big TV viewer. But when I got a gig, I have not lost a bet then. I watched the DVDsmallville dvd - Grey's Anatomy on several occasions last month. The actors are very different nationalities and personalities. The dialogue is fresh and original. The situations are unique, interesting, and can easilywalt disney dvd identify. Medical scenes are also interesting. I especially like the twists in each episode - seriously, you never know what will happen. original scores are really catchy and carefully placed. Then there's Derek ... oh, can not gohouse md dvd into details here, except that it is a nice boy.There were so many things that I liked the DVD image and sound is impressive. I took it as a gift and I got to watch every show. It'll take me a couple of days, but now they are finally. I hope that people or buy the DVD one tree hill dvdand start watching the show. You fall in love, history and everything else. I hope this review is helpful to everyone and I hope you get to watch the best show on TV, that would be Grey's Anatomy.
What the #$%&!! :dunce: SPAM???

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
if you replace your chain and sprockets, here is a chart i made. i believe your bike comes stock with a 16/46 gearing. that means 16 teeth on the front sprocket, 46 on the back. divide the rear by the front to get a number(see in chart below). the higher above that number you go(example: from 2.875 to 3.5), the more acceleration you get, but you will lose top speed and fuel mileage. you will also be turning out more rpms. the further you go below that number(example: 2.875 to 2.4), the less acceleration you will have, but you will turn fewer rpms and get better gas mileage. here is the chart....

on our bikes, reducing the ratio(2.875 down to a 2.6) doesnt typically yield a higher top speed. our bikes are limited by power, not rpm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts