Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just took the MSR safety course and now i can get my liscence. i have been riding in the dirt for a while, and so i am no stranger to how to ride. my question that needs answering : Although i dont have uch experience on a street bike, would getting a R6 be a mistake? i ride my bicicle everywhere so its not like i am oblivious to traffic out there, and i know how to lmit myself, but i was just wondering how the power of a R6 can be tamed? anyone else jump into this scenario? thanks in advance for your imput.

Brian

·
Registered
494 Posts
Power is pretty easily tamed by not twisting the throttle. hehe And if you can keep yourself from doing that till you get used to the bike than all should be well. I am finding to be a great bike to learn on. No worries about out growing it. I find myself timid of doing tricks on it. And thats because smashing a $12,000 bike isn't really an option for me. If I had bought an old zx-6 or something I maybe more willing to **** around with it. That's the only downside i've come across so far. Besides payments and insurance. LOL My 03 is my first bike. Street or dirt. :mrgreen:

Alden

·
max speed
242 Posts
R6 is a small motor bike. Keep it in the low revs and it is nice and tame. Just watch you do not rev it too much while letting out the clutch and you will be fine :mrgreen:

·
Registered
57 Posts
like many, I learned to ride on dirt bikes and quads; my first street ride was a '92 CBR600F2, good, predictable sport bike with nice manners. Alot depends on you, are you a hotshot who likes to show off? Then an R6 would not be your best choice, it could very well put you in the ground. Also, if you lay down a used machine, it will be cheaper and easier to repair, and you won't feel as bad...

just my .02...

·
Registered
504 Posts
'03 was my FIRST bike... be careful, respect it, love it, take care of it, and keep it in the low revs, and you'll be fine. Don't dick around... I don't care how much experience you have on other stuff. Get the feel for it, and like YoYoGakk said, it's a $10,000 investment, I don't dick around with mine, lol. Plus, I'm a little afraid of doing tricks right now...

-Solace

·
Registered
527 Posts
It will only go as fast as you let it. Its a fun bike but be careful. It can suprise you if your not careful. Learn your limits then practice your skills till you get better.

Blade

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
SolaceRye...i hear you man. I also got a 03 R6 as my first bike.
Never had any experience with motorcycles. I started riding early
this year (May). I took the Riding safety course and passed it.

But sadly, 5 days after i took my newly purchased bike from the
dealership home and after practicing and getting used to the bike
for 4 days...well you can guess..first day i was taking my bike to work,
i popped the clutch and slammed into a wall on an expressway.
A newbie's mistake. Was kinda worried about dealing with traffic
and just wasn't focusing at all. So that thought me a lesson to
remember the key things from the Safety Course.
Damaged the whole front nose including the windshield and
scrapes on the right fairings, cracked the speedo & bracket.
I came out with a fractured right elbow which i had to go through
surgery.

So i was off the bike about 2 months, had surgery on mid June
and fixed the bike on my own (bought parts from Ebay) while
i was injured. I started riding again in August going for 3 months
of riding now making my commute alot more interesting and fun.
And the thing is, after the accident, it gave me more confidence to
ride my R6 so now i am more used to riding it and getting familiar
with it. Practice makes perfect.

And yeah no trix/stunts yet, but i recently popped the front on first gear.
Kinda scared the hell out of me (since i experienced a minor tank slappa').
But now i am hooked to ridin'! :twisted:

Bikeburn, all in all you will be fine with an R6, just ease up on the throttle
until you get used to the bike alot better. I like this bike alot and started
noticing the handling prowess on turns.

Mike
~Ride Safe~
Ride safe!

·
Registered
995 Posts
mikeeh76.hope your ok now,i know how ur feelin,i'v got alot of scars and op's from my bike crashes,
Bikeburn,ride safe

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Hey Bravo, yeah i am doing better now. thanks dude. I had been riding the R6 for a good 3 months now.
And i am going through physical therapy
for my fractured elbow (man it is tough). Right now, i can't get my right arm all the way straight but hopefully the therapy will help. Started at 21 degrees and now i am down to 5 degrees! woohoo! :cheers and having a hot therapist is nice too! But don't take it the wrong way and go out crashing your bike and getting injured.
But yeah the R6 is great (after fixing almost $1,000 of damages) and now i am addicted to riding! and R6 was a big part of it. :worship

It sucks to hear but hopefully you didn't get any injuries in your crashes!

:flame

·
Registered
995 Posts
injuries...crash 1.off a bidge,right arm,right wrist,right thumb,collor bone couple of ribs,right knee.
crash 2.women did U-turn,right arm,left shoulder,left leg.
This doesn't include my car crash last year.broken right side jaw top and bottom,right cheek bone,right temple,right side of scull,right hand.
will never give up riding

·
Registered
995 Posts
injuries...crash 1.off a bidge,right arm,right wrist,right thumb,collor bone couple of ribs,right knee.
crash 2.women did U-turn,right arm,left shoulder,left leg.
This doesn't include my car crash last year.broken right side jaw top and bottom,right cheek bone,right temple,right side of scull,right hand.
will never give up riding

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hope you guys are alright, i hope im lucky with my first bike in april, im also taking the course and i drive a standard car so the clutch concept isnt something new to me, but as you guys said, i dont even think im gonna do tricks on it for the first year, and no standing up and shit ever..no matter how fun, if anything pop the front and the back, nothing more

Polish :hammer

·
Registered
995 Posts
enjoy it,and its all about time spent,if u only do 50miles per summer,when that near death experence comes u wont b as ready 2 handle it as someone who's doin 5000k per summer.the same goes 4 doin tricks,if u put in the time and with other bikers around u, you'll surprise ur self.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know. I got a 94 zx600r for my first bike, and I am glad I did. I wasn't as worried about dropping it, etc. and in case i made a dumb mistake, it was on an old bike not something new and sweet, so I wasn't too concerned.

now I'm ready for a new bike, so hopefully if a friend of mine can locate one for a good deal i'll be on one soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts