Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bike is a 2008 r6s

Ok guys so here it goes, ive been fighting with this damn bike for so long, can't get her to start.

list of things replaced:

new key ignition
new battery
new voltage regulator (have 3 now)
new fuel pump
new spark plugs

what do i do next? the bike just turns and turns and turns without firing at all, if you spray the throttle bodies with starter fluid itll start up but only for the short alloted time. I have no idea what to try next. I have already tried the kickstand thing, and the tip sensor both seem to be working to my knowledge.

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got the medium level battery at cycle gear and read through the manual and didn't really find much help on the topic, also i don't have a multi meter to test things

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also the bike has a power commander and i was reading that this can be the culprit, if so i have no idea how to "uninstall it" or how to check my maps, i am familiar with custom tuning i use it on my truck but have no idea where to go with this.

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
OK power commander now we might be getting some where.

1) Do you have the negative cable off of the power commander hooked to the negative terminal on the battery?

2) Removal is easy, just remove the negative cable from the battery (unless it already is like asked above) and there are other connectors under the tank that has the power commander in line disconnect them and hook the two factory connectors back together. But before you do this check the negative wire and ensure its hooked up. This will cause the bike not to start.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Buy a multi meter, check all fuses, and fully charge the battery. A code 46 on an R1 is a charging system failure, without a multi meter nothing can be tested. The battery is supplying all electrical power with a faulty charging system, and it possibly doesn't have enough to work the FI and crank the engine at the same time. The problem that is related to code 46 needs to be 'fixed' first, otherwise you'll just be wasting your time buying parts you don't need. Walmart has multi meters for less than $15-$20, you really must buy one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the negative wire is indeed connected i made sure of that one, and i have no idea where to start with a multi meter or how to test things

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
the negative wire is indeed connected i made sure of that one, and i have no idea where to start with a multi meter or how to test things

If you have no want, need, or desire to get and learn to use a multi meter then we can be of no help to you beyond this. My suggestion is to take it to a service shop then.

EDIT: That came off kinda dickish rereading that. There are plenty of how to videos on using a multimeter and as stated above entry level multimeters are not that expensive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The manual shows how and what to test that's needed (charging system). Did you check all fuses, is the PC 'lit up' (powered) ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no offense taken, imma go buy one today and try and figure out what to do. and the power commander never has light to it unlesss the bike was running and you move the throttle the levels follow the amount of throttle applied.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Testing the charging system is very easy and straight forward, you'll get it ! Be sure to check all fuses too. Good Luck !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys cleaned the tps sensor, and then unplugged the power comander III and plugged back in like factory and she started right back up like nothing was wrong, code went away and she idled like a champ. Rode to cycle gear with my girl to buy her a helmet, then hopped on the free way, bike would only go up to 8k rpm and then at like 80 she just shut down, so pulled over and started it again and a huge plume of white smoke came out so i shut it down and called a buddy, what do i do? it does have a shorty exhaust and then a k and n filter

·
Registered
105 Posts
You removed the Power Commander (disconnected it and left it disconnected) and then it ran ? Will bike restart now ? If it does, can you check the voltage at the battery while running ?

·
Just lean harder...
887 Posts
the bike will not start with the power commander installed, only when it is disconnected
Sorry to say the PCIII is probly toast.

Code 46 is Vehicle system power
supply (Monitor voltage)
Power supply to the FI system relay is
not normal.

The FI relay is under the tail fairing on the left side.

You need to check the charging system also, you should have about 14 volts at the battery when the bike is running.

Download the Service manual and read through it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts