Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the past few days I have been noticing a sluggish start from 1st. The engine growl was lower in tone and the power was not quite there. It was not every time though either some stops seemed ok while others required a little more gas. It's felt down on power in the low to mid range (till about the usual 6k, which for the most part is normal for the r6) but I just feel like I have shift up sooner to get more power which is odd. Then the other day I was at a red light and went to accelerate and the bike sounded like it was gonna just cut off and there was a lot of clutch rattle, after a short while a little gas got it going. Only experienced that one time though.

Between the weather and work recently the bike sits more during the week, I really only get to ride her on the weekends. So I have not had a whole lot of mileage on the bike to be able to sit here and say exactly what she does. And should also add the weather is starting to get cooler especially during the nights.

I have not had a chance to start removing things and checking things, and should also add this is the first time Id be digging into a bike and my mechanical skillz are lacking compared to most of you guys on here.

I did check the temps on the headers with a laser thermometer (cheapo so any deviation I blamed on that), but all seemed in check with 1 cylinder showing a slightly lesser temp. The bike starts up as normal and goes through the normal bouncing of revs till it starts to level out and warm up properly as it did when I got it. When I figure out how to switch coils without pulling everything apart I will do that test as that has been recommend on every topic related to these issues.

Another thought I had was condensation buildup in the gas tank that could be causing issues. It did sit for a little while with probably just a little more than half if not half a tank and the cooler night temps could cause condensation to build. But wouldn't this cause an issue throughout the rev range? And it's been 2.5 tanks since then.

I am hoping to get some feedback on what the issue could possibly be and where to start before I get in over my head and rip apart the bike...which is another issue because I can't have the bike down and out for awhile. Not to mention I am sadly, probably only a few weeks away from having to put her away for the winter where I would have to pull things apart anyways to winterize.

crap that got long.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be coils. Mine started like that. It got worse and worse.
Thanks, I will have to check that when I get a chance to start digging into it. In the meantime will keep a close eye on how she is running and hopefully be able to describe in more detail or if it is getting any worse.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the bike out tonight with the sole intention of listening to the bike and seeing if i could repeat what I felt last time. I did not have the same issues with bogging down after a stop. The bike still reminds me of my cbr250 when accelerating bringing the revs up between 6k and 8k+ between shifts. The sound is not smooth and clean (if that makes any sense, tough to describe a sound in words).

But to my point, I got home and measured the temp of the headers again and the same cylinder I was getting a slightly lower temp was the same cylinder reading lower again, so guess I can't blame it on the tool. Looks like I might have found my problem. Won't be till next week till I can take things apart though...need the bike this week/weekend.

Will report back, in the mean time keep shooting suggestions. I need to learn all I can.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Read the temperature right after you start the bike cold. Usually all pipes will heat up at the same about temp. If one of them is really off then you found a problem. Dont do it after its hot and the headers are heat soaked

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read the temperature right after you start the bike cold. Usually all pipes will heat up at the same about temp. If one of them is really off then you found a problem. Dont do it after its hot and the headers are heat soaked

ahhh makes sense, good pointer thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts