Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cant get enough of my 6
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok noticed this about a week ago, in first and second gear if i open up throttle i have power going till 8 or 9000rpm then it just shoots to redline with no power going to the wheel, it doesnt really do it in the other gears just those ones. I first thought it was the clutch engaging since i put new levers on but its still doing it after i adjusted them. Even made sure the little switch is in place underneath the clutch lever. Do i need a new clutch? Only have 2500 miles on the bike.

Cliff notes:
1st+2nd gear has power up to 8-9k rmp
after that it shoots to red-line with no power to the wheel

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
damn steve wtf. That sucks man. Im clueless but good luck! Next time I make it up to Erie well definitely do some riding together. I ordered a PCV and full leo this morning so my bike should be improving here in the next 2 weeks!

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Unfortunately from what you described it sounds like clutch engagement. Have you let out all the cable with the adjustment knob. This will make it so the clutch doesn't engage until you have the lever squeezed all the way down.

If it stops doing it, adjust the knob as much as you can until you feel it doing it again. I can't see your clutch actually going out that fast.

·
Cant get enough of my 6
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn i was hoping it wouldnt be the clutch, really dont feel like changing that, Ya it sucks dennis i finally get it here and its boggin on me. Thanks 06r6n im going to try that right now and see if it works.

·
Cant get enough of my 6
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i adjusted the clutch lever freeplay knob and that seemed to help a bit, i couldnt really take it for a hard ride but i will tomorrow. Im also going to change my oil and see if that helps. Thanks for the help 06r6n

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I would keep fiddiling with your levers, i highly doubt your clutch is bad after only 2500 miles even if you suck balls at shifting lol.
When i put my ebay shorties on , in 5th and 6th gear when i would hit the throttle hard, it would just rev up and slowly speed up, it was just my clutch not engaging all the way. It actually took me a lot of tries to get it right.. If you messed with it and it seems the problem got a little better i would keep trying.

·
Cant get enough of my 6
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just a lil update, took a while to work on it because of school. It got to the point where i couldnt get it into gear it would just stall every time. I took the levers i had just installed a few days before the problem. Turns out they didnt put the brass bushings in the levers, (my mistake for not paying attention, theirs for being cheap). The lever was sticking and not releasing the clutch even tho the lever appeared to be where it should when released. So problem fixed finally, shes riding great and i just switched to full synthetic oil while i was at it :flex:. Thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
just a lil update, took a while to work on it because of school. It got to the point where i couldnt get it into gear it would just stall every time. I took the levers i had just installed a few days before the problem. Turns out they didnt put the brass bushings in the levers, (my mistake for not paying attention, theirs for being cheap). The lever was sticking and not releasing the clutch even tho the lever appeared to be where it should when released. So problem fixed finally, shes riding great and i just switched to full synthetic oil while i was at it :flex:. Thanks for the help guys
Glad everything is all worked out for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts