Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, First off im not in a real good location to get started in racing or track days. I live in in North central West Virginia. I really want to purchase a track bike, and start to doin some track days to get comfortable then get into some races. If anyone could chime in and give me some advice on where to to start it would be greatly appreciated. I have riding experience on all bikes from crusiers to liter bikes and would love to step on to the track. So any help would be great..thanks in advance everyone.

-Chris-

·
Registered
35 Posts
Read "A Twist of the Wrist" and "A Twist of the Wrist II" by Keith Code. Great books, just read them. Just about everything you need to know about bike racing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer I will check those out, but I was wondering more along the lines of how to get started in actual racing like what organizations to get with...stuff like that. Thanks again

·
I ate my R6
303 Posts
Byrdman308 said:
Hello, First off im not in a real good location to get started in racing or track days. I live in in North central West Virginia. I really want to purchase a track bike, and start to doin some track days to get comfortable then get into some races. If anyone could chime in and give me some advice on where to to start it would be greatly appreciated. I have riding experience on all bikes from crusiers to liter bikes and would love to step on to the track. So any help would be great..thanks in advance everyone.

-Chris-
I beg to differ. Summit Point is just outside of Charlestown(they just repaved it :boob ). Nelson and Beaver Run are just outside Pittsburgh. VIR is in Danville Virginia. There is rumor of a new track being built In Jersey as we speak. I would say you are in a good location. Anyone who races or does trackdays will tell you that you have to travel. You'll want to try different tracks anyway. Check out theses org's.
http://nesba.com/

http://www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php
Good luck.

-Brian

·
Registered
59 Posts
i would recommend taking a school, like cornerspeed. this school is run at VIR and can give you the necessary tools (riding tools) to be ready for racing or to improve your riding over all.

52,014 Posts
Paytheon said:
If you have a couple of grand to spare.
Cornerspeed should be less than $500. California Superbike School is $450 if you have your own bike, and they run at VIR too.

52,014 Posts
jc r6 said:
+1 excellent school well worth it
Sounds like you speak from experience... :sing

Wassup, Stranger!!! How you been?

52,014 Posts
Paytheon said:
That depends on the school and whether you have a bike. The average cost of a track school is 2K according to NESBA.
Do your research... NESBA is not the only authority... I've only paid 2K for 2-day schools.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
yeah, nesba is cool and all, but there are alot of other track riding schools out there. Most single day schools can be had for 500 or less, only the 2 day schools w/ everything included are 2k+

·
4,299 Posts
yeah $500 is about all u will spend for a good school like cornerspped for a day provided u have a bike and gear and if u dont have a bike u need to use that $500 for a down payment on a bike :) get some gear then go to cornerspeed. U will not regret it.

..sup Maxxx!!!!

·
Will Race for Food
136 Posts
Actually you are in a pretty good area if you ask me. You are close to Summit Point, four hours from VIR and close to the new track they are building in South Jersey. I live in Jersey and the closest track Summit in WV is 4.5 hours VIR is 9 hours. I raced the full series for CCS last year and 3 of the races are in Birmingham, Daytona, Georgia so you want to talk about far.

I'm a coach for Team Promotion and they have a great deal for getting onto the track for the first time. You pay for the track day and get a free introduction class called ART (Advanced Rider Training) Basic. Each session is 20 minutes and they run three groups. Beginer(white), intermediate (red) and advanced (blue). Instead of sitting around for 40 mintues out of the hour, you go to class for 20 min and sit for 20 min. Great way to experience the track for the first time and learn some much needed basics to learn the difference between the street and the track.

Becareful it is very addictive. Let me know if I can help or if you have any other questions.

Z

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, thanks for all the great info everyone. Sorry I havent been to up to date on the forum lately, It turns out I have to go to South Africa for 3 months so I've been a little busy. But once again a million thanks, and z-man I may be getting into contact with you about some info.

·
Will Race for Food
136 Posts
Any time, just drop me a note. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Z

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wanna tackle some sort of animal..lol, But my fiance says thats not a good idea. What a suprise, shes prob right again...lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts