Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hanging in there.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With tax season around the corner Im looking to drop some money on my bike. What a better way then to but an exhaust on it and get it dyno'd. I'm still debating Yoshi vs TB. Leaning towards yoshi. But my real question is full or slip-on. I dunno how my budget is exactly, but if I can swing it Id like to get a full exhaust. Either way Im going to buy the pipe and a power commander. Im just kinda worried about installing the full system. Im under the impression the bike wont start if I just have the full exhaust and a power commander. I was told I need to do something about my ignition. Can anyone shed some light? Better yet can someone list everything I would need? Thanks in advance.

:toocool:

·
Prostar
477 Posts
Well, with a slip-on you don't need anything extra. I got a Yoshi slipon that I don't use anymore after upgrading to a full system, and it looks better than my Leo can imo.

If you decide to go full, you'll need the exhaust (~$1500), PC or Bazazz ($270+), Air filter ($50), Smog Block-offs ($30) and a dyno tune (varies by area/tech).

You may then decide you want an auto tune too if you are so inclined and that would add another $220 or so (you can just get an autotuner in lieu of going to a dyno, but you will find opinions differ on this).

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
^Don't listen to this buffoon.

You can get a Full LEO for around 700-800 new. There is a sale on Graves going on still I think. Go FUll exhaust BTW. Slip ons won't do anything for you.

You can ride on a full exhaust but is best to get a PC3/PC5/Bazzazz asap to get it tuned properly. You NEED any of that other junk mentioned above until you WANT to.

-Ant.

·
Registered
524 Posts
A slip-on is purely for appearance and sound. The performance benefits of a slip-on are minimal and installing one won't require a Programmer. If you can, get a full system. As mentioned above, you can pick up a nice system for under $1000 easily. Look around for deals and there are usually some full systems for sale in this forum. You won't have to do any modifications to your ignition, but you will have to do some adjusting to your air/fuel ratio with the use of a programmer/bazzaz for your bike to run properly. An air filter and block off plates aren't something you NEED to buy. But they will help you squeeze as much power as you can out of your engine combined with the exhaust and programmer. Best of luck man!

·
Live to ride,Ride to live
91 Posts
With tax season around the corner Im looking to drop some money on my bike. What a better way then to but an exhaust on it and get it dyno'd. I'm still debating Yoshi vs TB. Leaning towards yoshi. But my real question is full or slip-on. I dunno how my budget is exactly, but if I can swing it Id like to get a full exhaust. Either way Im going to buy the pipe and a power commander. Im just kinda worried about installing the full system. Im under the impression the bike wont start if I just have the full exhaust and a power commander. I was told I need to do something about my ignition. Can anyone shed some light? Better yet can someone list everything I would need? Thanks in advance.

:toocool:
I posted a similar thread and the consensus was a full system! And I am happy I finally did it :yes. I was in the same situation with my tax refund...decided to give my baby some upgrades! But like everyone is saying...full system+PC or Bazzaz unit with a map tuned to your system is what is "needed" anything above and beyond that is icing on the cake :cheers

·
Prostar
477 Posts
^Don't listen to this buffoon.

You can get a Full LEO for around 700-800 new. There is a sale on Graves going on still I think. Go FUll exhaust BTW. Slip ons won't do anything for you.

You can ride on a full exhaust but is best to get a PC3/PC5/Bazzazz asap to get it tuned properly. You NEED any of that other junk mentioned above until you WANT to.

-Ant.
Buffoon? :thumbdown

Sand in your vagina much? :swordfigh

Anyway, the tilde "~" key indicated that you can sped UP TO $1500 for a good exhaust depending on what you are looking at.

Also, while it is true you don't NEED smog block offs, who likes to have their bike backfire? At least I bought and installed them according to numerous threads on the subject on this forum because I didn't care to deal with a potential backfiring issue. I figured for $30 bucks might as well.

And an air filter is an extra 50 bucks which is peanuts and compliments the exhaust system well. I mean, if the $50 bucks will break the bank for you the don't do it, but I really don't see why not.

:roll:

Edit: I guess after looking back at my post, you could opt to just use a downloaded map for your PCV/Bazazz instead of getting a tune. Just didn't think about it when I posted because everyone I know either goes to a dyno or uses autotune.

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
Buffoon? :thumbdown

Sand in your vagina much? :swordfigh

Anyway, the tilde "~" key indicated that you can sped UP TO $1500 for a good exhaust depending on what you are looking at.

Also, while it is true you don't NEED smog block offs, who likes to have their bike backfire? At least I bought and installed them according to numerous threads on the subject on this forum because I didn't care to deal with a potential backfiring issue. I figured for $30 bucks might as well.

And an air filter is an extra 50 bucks which is peanuts and compliments the exhaust system well. I mean, if the $50 bucks will break the bank for you the don't do it, but I really don't see why not.

:roll:

Edit: I guess after looking back at my post, you could opt to just use a downloaded map for your PCV/Bazazz instead of getting a tune. Just didn't think about it when I posted because everyone I know either goes to a dyno or uses autotune.
Ignore Ant.. he must be starved for oxygen up on his high horse.

OP like others have said a full system will be the way to go if you truly want performance gains. A slip on will look nice and maybe make a little more noise but that is the only thing you will gain.

If you do go with a full system you can run it without a power programmer and other supporting mods but It's not going to run anywhere close to how it should be and over the long run its not the best thing for your bike. Get a PCV/Bazazz and just run a downloaded tune from the website till you can afford a custom tune. I would also suggest an air filter and block offs since they are a cheap upgrade and you will already have the bike torn apart.

Hit up Agg for block offs, he has smoking deals on here for them.

Another good mod for not much dough is changing the gearing. Going with a 520 chain and -1 +2 will really make it a whole new riding experience.

Nice bike!

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Ignore Ant.. he must be starved for oxygen up on his high horse.

OP like others have said a full system will be the way to go if you truly want performance gains. A slip on will look nice and maybe make a little more noise but that is the only thing you will gain.

If you do go with a full system you can run it without a power programmer and other supporting mods but It's not going to run anywhere close to how it should be and over the long run its not the best thing for your bike. Get a PCV/Bazazz and just run a downloaded tune from the website till you can afford a custom tune. I would also suggest an air filter and block offs since they are a cheap upgrade and you will already have the bike torn apart.

Hit up Agg for block offs, he has smoking deals on here for them.

Another good mod for not much dough is changing the gearing. Going with a 520 chain and -1 +2 will really make it a whole new riding experience.

Nice bike!
Listen to this Buffoon. :stupic

How much you do you plan to spend with your tax returns? Between Yoshi or TB, I'd suggest getting the Yoshi. I don't like the looks of TB and you'd also get talked down a lot for having a TB on your bike on this forum. If I were to get an after-market it's Graves. The main competition that everyone always has trouble with is Leo Vs Graves.
Slip-On
Looks and very very minor sound increase.
To get the full potential/sound increase of a slip on you need to eliminate the big box on your stock exhaust and the honey combs inside the headers aka "the cat".
Possible to do by 05 R6 exhaust headers
Y Midpipe such as M4, ttuner
MJS Headers
minor hp increase (about 2 - 3)
Full System
Looks, bragging rights and sound increase
saves weight
hp increase (about 10)

Honestly, if you aren't going to a track or anything there really isn't a need for a full system. Save your money for other mods and get a slip-on with 05 headers. Full system install is easy if you know how to use a socket/torque wrench. Would be better if you had someone to help since the gaskets are annoying to put in.

You don't need to do anything with the ignition if you install an exhaust.

So in summary everything you need.
Slip-On: Just the can
Full-System: The exhaust + Fuel management device

Good to have but not necessarily needed:
Block off plates, after-market air filter, and another thing I forgot where it disables the engine light because you unplugged the 02 sensor.

The "good to have" stuff also decreases the loud pop/shooting fireballs out of the exhaust.

·
Hanging in there.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I figured that would be the consensus. I will swing the full system if I could spare it. I knew I was gonna buy the PC3 with it, probably would even if I just get the slip on. Id like to go to a track day eventually but...I think Ill wait a bit, but Ill get there. I think the full yoshi exhaust is like ~$800 and the PC3 is ~$400. And its the mapping I think my source was talking about. Does that come with the PC3? Or...? I know a guy who will dyno my bike. I wanna get it done just so I know where my bike sits power and torque wise.

Also - already have an air filter. I dont want my bike to backfire, Ill probably buy the block offs. And after I do the exhaust Ill look into a chain/sprocket kit. OR Those sexy Projector/HALO light kits Ive been looking at since before I had my bike...heh.

EDIT* OH! Yeah the o2 Sensor. What can I do about that? I dont want my engine light on all the time!

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
I figured that would be the consensus. I will swing the full system if I could spare it. I knew I was gonna buy the PC3 with it, probably would even if I just get the slip on. Id like to go to a track day eventually but...I think Ill wait a bit, but Ill get there. I think the full yoshi exhaust is like ~$800 and the PC3 is ~$400. And its the mapping I think my source was talking about. Does that come with the PC3? Or...? I know a guy who will dyno my bike. I wanna get it done just so I know where my bike sits power and torque wise.

Also - already have an air filter. I dont want my bike to backfire, Ill probably buy the block offs. And after I do the exhaust Ill look into a chain/sprocket kit. OR Those sexy Projector/HALO light kits Ive been looking at since before I had my bike...heh.

EDIT* OH! Yeah the o2 Sensor. What can I do about that? I dont want my engine light on all the time!
PC3 for $400~? Are you nuts? I've seen them on here for $150~ Used. even the PCV is about $250. PM some site sponsors on here to see what deals you can get. Map in short terms is how the fuel management device controls your Air to Fuel Ratio. Since you're throwing on an after-market exhaust the stock map can't push out enough fuel by itself. You can plug the fuel management device (power commander in your case) to your computer, load up the yoshimura map and connect it to your bike. BUT to get the best out of your bike you should get a custom dyno tune to build a map specifically for your bike and location (Prices range from $150 to $300). If you want to get a basic dyno read out where he doesn't tune anything then that's cheaper (about $30), it just shows your torque, a/f ratio, HP etc. he doesn't do anything else for you.

For the check engine light if you get a full system can be eliminated by the DIY thread if you're comfortable with electronics or just the plug and play by graves.

http://www.gravesport.com/Graves-Motorsports-Yamaha-Exup-Servo-Eliminator.html

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89792

·
Hanging in there.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PC3 for $400~? Are you nuts? I've seen them on here for $150~ Used. even the PCV is about $250. PM some site sponsors on here to see what deals you can get. Map in short terms is how the fuel management device controls your Air to Fuel Ratio. Since you're throwing on an after-market exhaust the stock map can't push out enough fuel by itself. You can plug the fuel management device (power commander in your case) to your computer, load up the yoshimura map and connect it to your bike. BUT to get the best out of your bike you should get a custom dyno tune to build a map specifically for your bike and location (Prices range from $150 to $300). If you want to get a basic dyno read out where he doesn't tune anything then that's cheaper (about $30), it just shows your torque, a/f ratio, HP etc. he doesn't do anything else for you.

For the check engine light if you get a full system can be eliminated by the DIY thread if you're comfortable with electronics or just the plug and play by graves.

http://www.gravesport.com/Graves-Motorsports-Yamaha-Exup-Servo-Eliminator.html

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89792
Sweet. Thanks for the info.

I have a new question. My dad who rides says I have to get an ignition retard... he called it that. From my understanding it's something in that brick of a catalytic converter that helps the bike start up smoother and quicker. He also called it an "EXUP exhaust." Shed some more light?:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts