Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I'm 18 and just got my first street bike its a 2002 r6 and I've put alittle over 800 miles on it aence ive had it (3 weeks) i have alot of friend that ride and around here in kentucky were i live its all about turning. i use to race motocross (yz-125) and im not really scared of anything. theres this road about 15 mins from my house thats nuthing turns and its about 42 or so miles long. i went out with a few friend yesterday to go ride and thats were we went. i probley saw over 50+ bikes on the road and some of them were even draging knees around the turns. its starting to get cold but i wanna get my bike set up for next season to spend most of its time going up and down this road carving corner, what all do i need to do to the bike? any tips on being able to be good at cornering theses turns? I'm a fast learner and was keeping up with my friends no problem at all and they seem to think im gonna wreak because im moving to fast but i seem to think ill be ok sence my back ground and i read about lean angle and everything everynight on here. i can ride second gear wheelies as long as i want (baslicly) and i was transfering my wieght and keeping my center of gravity as low as i could. also shifting my butt to the side i was turning into and from what they were saying i was getting a pretty good lean angle. i just keep it in third gear though. theres were a couple good mile strights were i got up to redline it third and i could carry good speed in the turns (40-85 or so) depending on if it was a sharp turn or a sweeping turn any advice? set-up tips?

btw before you flame me for doing over double the speed limits on a public road. i live in kentucky is a road were you see a house about once a mile and i only saw 5 cars the whole time we were on the road, we went up it, then back down and then repeated thats driving over 164 miles and seeing 5 cars lol but there was a bunch of bikes. also i wear a leather jacket, helmet, jeans, and leather joe rocket gloves. so its not like im wearing a t-shirt and no helmet doing this

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also ive read alot but everyone seems to say different things and i want to see what you all have to say about what i should do not what everyone else should do. so please dont say search.

btw if it even matters i weight 135-142 pounds and am 6' 1"

·
Registered
406 Posts
+1 on the track, it sounds like you'd love it!

But first, seriously, check that "I'm not scared of anything" crap. Enough said, no need to lecture.

Second, seat time, seat time, and more seat time. Read a few books, talk to guys with serious experience, and enjoy!

I'm not a promoter of riding crazy on public roads, but I won't flame. Just remember that a very little bit of sand, small oil stain, a crack in the road, and all sorts of "obvious" things exist on public roads, and at full lean angle, you could be in a world of trouble if you tag something big, or even something you didn't notice, because I'm guessing these corners aren't designed with "runoff" in mind.

And if you JUST HAVE to buy goodies, my 2 cents, more power isn't going to make you better, and that goes for most riders, even track day junkies like myself. Brakes, suspension, rubber, then lowering weight are things I look at.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
+1 Take it to the track and leave your I am not scared of anything attitude at home. With a mindset like that you will probably find and surpass your riding abilities and crash sooner than later.

Also when riding ride your own ride which means ride your own pace don't try to keep up with your friends.

Just make sure you are looking through the corners and once you lean in you need to give it some gas to stabilize the bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well thinks for the input guys... and for the statement of im not scared of anything i mean that I feel confedent to go faster but i would also like to be alot more smoother and under full control, and not just wot and pary not to lowside the next turn.

i want to do same weight reduction, tires, suspension set-up, and other track like prep stuff. but i need some help on what to get/do.theres a couple patches on the road that you just have to watch out for but the last 15-20 miles is like brand new and is extremely nice.

also i need some riding/turning advise. i do look all the way through the turn and shift my butt around to transfer weight, i stay as low as i can and i get me knee out there. any other advise

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol i know what you mean but there were 50 plus bikes on this one road on a sunday at like 130 so i dont think one person more is gonna make a differents in our insurance lol. any tips guys?

·
Registered
695 Posts
ok well one word of advice that always works for me is to go fast you have to slow down...take 1 step back and 2 steps forward..... slow is smooth and smooth is fast. dont worry about weight reduction and all that other nonsense.... get your suspension dialed in for your weight and get a good set of tires. our bikes are MORE than enough, get some seat time and lots of it. thats really the only way to become a better rider. i can take so many 1000s and 750s at the track... stay loose on the bars, a good way to do that is kinda flap your arms like a chicken before the turn... it lets you loosen up. and really you have to check that im not afraid of anything ego you have. my cousin had that (and still does) and crashed 2 weeks after he got his bike and 3 times after that because he doesnt choose to listen. ive highsided 3 times. first was for riding my experienced friends pace and i went into a turn WAY too hot and that was all i needed, the other two were from spinning the rear at the track. seriously though if you want to push the limits do it at the track. if my 2 track were on the street i probably wouldnt be here....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also my tires say sportmax d208 on the rear one and i didnt even look at the front but from what i think i just saw there the qualifiers everyone is talking about is that right?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i hope they're not the stock 208's on there after 4 years. Alot of people hate those tires, some can live with them. The stock 208's that came on the r6's for long time tended to get really greasy when ridden hard.

Like everyone else has said, if you really wanna push your limits, go to the track. But heres an indication of how your doing: Most track days run 3 groups, C, B and A. C being beginner street guys that are still trying to learn the bike. B being a quick pace but nothing to fantastic and A group being toted as "race pace". Anyway, if you go into a turn at what the yellow sign recommends, your in C group. Go into at double the yellow sign, your B group. Go into at triple the yellow sign or over(not recommended on public roads) and you'll be in A group. Have fun on the track.

·
Registered
437 Posts
jdowens said:
lol i know what you mean but there were 50 plus bikes on this one road on a sunday at like 130 so i dont think one person more is gonna make a differents in our insurance lol. any tips guys?
every person counts, because thats one out of 50, hell the national average is something like 20/10000 motorcyclists die each year, so yes it will make a difference.

+1 for the track,
dont risk other people's lives, and you say that there were like 5 cars, but there were also 50 motorcycles which is between 54 - 120 people who's lives are less safe by trying to ride that road like a track.

+1 for seat time. learn as much as you can where ever you can get it, but there is nothing that will teach you as much as time in the seat

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont think they are stock they have very little wear on them are these tires very good or do i need to buy the qualifiers?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
nah you should be good w/ the tires. I took the stock 208's off ASAP when i got my bike, but from the rumors on the board theres two different 208's. The stock ones which suck and the aftermarket ones that are claimed to be pretty decent. If they're newer looking you should be fine. And hopefully someone will jump in to clarify the "showroom" qualifiers with the "off the shelf" qualifiers. But I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Agent4573 said:
nah you should be good w/ the tires. I took the stock 208's off ASAP when i got my bike, but from the rumors on the board theres two different 208's. The stock ones which suck and the aftermarket ones that are claimed to be pretty decent. If they're newer looking you should be fine. And hopefully someone will jump in to clarify the "showroom" qualifiers with the "off the shelf" qualifiers. But I wouldn't worry about it.
yeah there are 2 different 208's which is weird, i found out from some motorcycle magazine or something

·
Registered
695 Posts
Agent4573 said:
Anyway, if you go into a turn at what the yellow sign recommends, your in C group. Go into at double the yellow sign, your B group. Go into at triple the yellow sign or over(not recommended on public roads) and you'll be in A group. Have fun on the track.
i wouldnt go off that, im an A group rider and i have seen plenty of ppl in A that are fast but dont belong there. they can go fast in the straight and park it in the corners or theyre lines are all messed up but theyre in A cuz they can go fast but cant do it predictably....the best thing to do is to go out in C and work with an instructor. my 1st day i got moved up to B before lunch worked on a bunch of things with different ppl and now this season after 7 days im a consistent A rider, i have had my spills though..

·
Registered
437 Posts
having someone to work with is definately a good idea

·
WLF !!!!!! 46
37 Posts
kyles r6 said:
ok well one word of advice that always works for me is to go fast you have to slow down...take 1 step back and 2 steps forward..... slow is smooth and smooth is fast. dont worry about weight reduction and all that other nonsense.... get your suspension dialed in for your weight and get a good set of tires. our bikes are MORE than enough, get some seat time and lots of it. thats really the only way to become a better rider. i can take so many 1000s and 750s at the track... stay loose on the bars, a good way to do that is kinda flap your arms like a chicken before the turn... it lets you loosen up. and really you have to check that im not afraid of anything ego you have. my cousin had that (and still does) and crashed 2 weeks after he got his bike and 3 times after that because he doesnt choose to listen. ive highsided 3 times. first was for riding my experienced friends pace and i went into a turn WAY too hot and that was all i needed, the other two were from spinning the rear at the track. seriously though if you want to push the limits do it at the track. if my 2 track were on the street i probably wouldnt be here....

+1 on this...also EAT SOMETHING MAN...you have to be a rail at 142lbs and 6 ft talll...lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts