Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so to make this as short as possible without leaving out the important details here it goes.

2004 R6 12,xxx

i installed a motodynamic tail light 2 weeks ago, waited 2 weeks for the led relay to come in and all was good.

today i finished bolting up a new kickstand and went to start the bike. NO START, just cranking and studdering (it felt like it wanted to start but was being choked up for whatever reason) * also there was a slight bit of smoke that would come out of the exhaust, only when it would sputter

Backtracking my mods to determine the problem i disconnected the tail light, same result, (BEFORE this, the bike had not been ran/started/moved for several weeks but ran fine the last time), disconnected the power commander in hopes that that might be the issue, same result. checked both fuses for the starter relay, and all fuses under the front panel. all good.

On to the plugs, all plugs 1-4 were black on the tip, and had a bit of what looked like oil on them, they were then cleaned with a wire wheel and put back. after this was all put back together, the bike fired right up but was a little choppy(possibly because its a little cold) ran for about a minute to 1.5 mins and i went to give a little gas. INSTANTLY when i gave it gas the bike died.

5hours into it, i don't know what to do, any suggestions? has anyone had this issue or know what it can be?

**battery is good, on a tender so thats pretty much ruled out.

**gas is the same gas thats been in there when it last ran(without problems) and has stabil in it,

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also i forgot, i has no check engine light as far as i know

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
better check that new kickstand and it's switch...

you can test all of the electronic circuits of the bike via your instrument cluster. (including the kickstand switch)

the service manual shows you how.

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no its the same switch that was in the bike before, bumppp,,, anyone??

·
Registered
597 Posts
Still though I would check it, cause that is about the only thing you touched that would keep the bike from starting

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ttt

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guess ill just take it to the dealership

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
yea, it ,makes sense, but the bike did start, ran, and as soon as i touched the gas it died.. bike wont start in N, or with the clutch in. so thats why i ruled that out..

do you think its worth it to disable the kickstand switch>?

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99945&highlight=disable+sidestand

well your bike should start in N regardless of the kickstand position.

don't give up just yet man. your year was known for having a tps problem. and it did make them hard to start or they stalled out all the time.

your's isn't exactly the same problem most of the guys I remember having but it is some of the same "kind" of symptoms.

if you are comfortable and 1/2 way knowledgeable about working on things, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. because the service manual shows you how to test all of your sensors etc.
you don't need special tools or training.
it could be as simple as your tps being set at the wrong position.
which the service manual will show you how to find out and adjust.
or it could have failed

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bad gas, dumped tank put in fresh gas, and its running

1 - 10 of 10 Posts