Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new 2005 Yamaha r6 since I didn't have enough money to buy a car. I'm trying to get some tips on how to ride without getting my new bike scratched or damaged. If there is any tips you guys can give me I'd appreciate it. I look forward to becoming a more experienced rider. I guess I gotta start somewhere so I looked into the forums. Thanks guys!!

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
first off enroll into the msf course. they have a bunch of pointers. here is a tip if you are too scared to ride and get your bike scratched, dont ride. i see too many people make stupid moves trying to save the bike in a mishap, when they should have been more worried about themselves. if your about to lose it, screw the bike and bail.

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
^^^ he's on point. Def. do the MSF course, and I also tell everyone, one of the best ways to learn is to go to an open parking lot, and just practice slow riding. Starting from a stop, slow turns, and just getting a feel for the bike.

Also, if you bought the bike because you couldnt afford a car....it sounds like you got the wrong bike for the wrong reason.

Either way, good luck, take it easy, and just be smart.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
oh another thing invest in some gear like a current dot approved helmet preferably a full face model, and some leather gloves and a leather jacket. dont forget some boots that go over the ankles. oops and some jeans would be fine but leather will save your skin.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Brandon2005r6 said:
I just bought a brand new 2005 Yamaha r6 since I didn't have enough money to buy a car. I'm trying to get some tips on how to ride without getting my new bike scratched or damaged. If there is any tips you guys can give me I'd appreciate it. I look forward to becoming a more experienced rider. I guess I gotta start somewhere so I looked into the forums. Thanks guys!!
congrats on your purchase... but i dunno if anyone told you, but entering the world of sportbikes is a big MONEYPIT.

If you are so worried about riding and dropping your baby, don't get a new bike! you should have gotten a used bike to learn on first.

be careful out there and take the MSF classes, they will help you alot.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
danrivito said:
Also, if you bought the bike because you couldnt afford a car....it sounds like you got the wrong bike for the wrong reason.
Sportbikes are NOT cheap transportation. They may get good mileage, if you don't ride hard, but tires every 4k, along with services and gear, rider education.

You could have bought a Hyundai with a 100,000 mile warranty for what you paid for your bike. Or a certified used Honda.

Good Luck

·
Registered
279 Posts
i agree with the guys, take the course and try out the parking lot also, it helps alot, and make sure u got protective gear.

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
z31maniac said:
danrivito said:
Sportbikes are NOT cheap transportation. They may get good mileage, if you don't ride hard, but tires every 4k, along with services and gear, rider education.

You could have bought a Hyundai with a 100,000 mile warranty for what you paid for your bike. Or a certified used Honda.

Good Luck
It's funny that you say that because I sell Hyundais. So let me know if you want one. haha

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you really need to replace your tires every 4k?? I am around 3.5k and My tires are hardly worn. I don't ride like a bat out of hell though so maybe that extends the tire life?

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
yeah its gonna depend on how you ride it. If your doin burnouts often, then you'll be goin through tires like crazy. But if you ride it easy, then obviously you will get more miles out of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts