Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a dumb question, but I need some training wheels b/c my g/f wants to learn to ride but shes really small and she dosen't think she can hold the weight of the bike?? She tried it and she held it up but she really scared about falling and getting hurt. Can anyone help me or at least tell her that there is no such thing!!

Any tips or anything I can do to help her learn to ride can help! Thanx guys!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
just take it slow man...i taught my brother how to ride by running along side of him while he went up and down the street in first....then later i let him throw it up a couple of gears...then we rode together, him on my boys old katana and me on my 6...just take it slow and at her pace and she'll be fine....

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
if you got the money get her a smaller bike like a ninja 250 or a small dirtbike. atleast then she can learn on something small and cheaper then your six, if you got the money :cheers

G

·
I learned all the basic maneuvers in the yard on a ninja ex500. Of course it didnt take long but that is just because i rode dirtbikes for awhile before that.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I taught my wife to ride on my 01 R6.

Just take it slow, I started off holding the front wheel between my legs and having her get the feel of letting the clutch out til it grabbed then pulling it back in

Then I had her let it out slow until the bike started moving, then pull it in real fast. Emphasizing that the clutch is her control (and main connection) to the bike!!

Then I had her do the same with me holding the bike from behind and running along.

She cought on real fast, even though she is very short, she has great control over the bike. She can stat and stop by herself, take turns (she even leans the thing pretty good!)

btw, I hope you have frame sliders, hahahahahahaha!

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
jasamb said:
I taught my wife to ride on my 01 R6.

Just take it slow, I started off holding the front wheel between my legs and having her get the feel of letting the clutch out til it grabbed then pulling it back in

Then I had her let it out slow until the bike started moving, then pull it in real fast. Emphasizing that the clutch is her control (and main connection) to the bike!!

Then I had her do the same with me holding the bike from behind and running along.

She cought on real fast, even though she is very short, she has great control over the bike. She can stat and stop by herself, take turns (she even leans the thing pretty good!)

btw, I hope you have frame sliders, hahahahahahaha!
Sorry, I love my wife, but I wouldn't get in front of her on a bike. No way. She's happens to be one of the smartest people that I know, but she does not excel in coordination at times...

·
Registered
5 Posts
MSF

Check out the Motorcycle Safety Foundation - http://www.msf-usa.org/

They may offer riding courses in your area. This is how I learned to ride, and think it was one of the best choices I made.

The MSF school in Massachusetts is actually called "Training Wheels" :) They do a weekend long course split between classroom and riding. The riding portion is done on Nighthawk 250s that they provide. Definitely a great way to learn!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had never even riden on the back of a bike and I went to the MSF and now I have an '04 R6

I am very short also 5'2", I lowered my bike before I ever rode it. It helps to narrow down the possible problems like riding a bike that is to tall.

As long as she takes it slow she should have no problem. It took me like a month to get out on the road. I kept riding down my road and turning around. Getting the easy stuff down pat before I tried the road with all those crazy people on it.

·
I used to have an R6...
63 Posts
training wheels

Get her in the Motorcycle safety course. Works wonders not to mention the Insurance rates will be better. Plus most of the state run courses will teach her on a small bike so she will master the fundamentals

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
yeah the 125's and 250's that we had in the coruse were so easy to ride. They are very forgiving unlike the R6... There was only 1 person who had trouble with the bikes, but she couldn't get the clutch control thing down; she either had it in or out... never in the middle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
TraumaTEK said:
Get her a CRF 50 or a YZ 50 and teach her to wheelie first! Thats all you need to know! :cheers
thats funny .. i did that right before i got my R6.. on a REAL old little fiddddy. Then I got on the 4 wheeler and poped a few. I wont do that on my bike tho.. no sir reee not for me.
But I am a girl.. bout 5'5 or 5'6 and the R6 is my first bike.. I had some experience with riding but only with a dirtbike which is totally diffrent.
Go with the MSF corse.. but thats still kinda a cut back cuz they put you on nitehawk 250s, at least they do here in Georgia.
Practice and industrail parks are the best.. but getting out on the road gives you a good lay out with turns, but she has to be ready for them ya know.
Good luck.. If I can learn hahah then I know that she can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts