Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice as to where I should look for the problem. Here's the details:

April 12 - I noticed that the chain was loose. Too loose actually. I was able to slide the chain off the rear sprocket without any tools. I adjusted it so the chain had SOME slack like it was supposed to...

May 18 (noon time), I notice that the chain was loose again. I figured that I just didn't tighten the nuts enough and it became loose. But when I crouched down to adjust everything, I noticed that the adjuster was still in the same position as I remember. I adjusted it one tick mark towards the rear and it was tighter than last time.

5pm, I got home from riding almost 100 miles. I decided to FINALLY give her a bath. when I was doing the pre-rinse, I noticed the chain was SUPER loose. Basically, the bottom of the chain could be pushed up and touch the swing arm.

:eek5:eek5

Where should I look? Can a chain become that loose/stretched? I haven't torn the fairings off yet because I just did that yesterday for the oil change, so I'm too lazy. What could be so wrong that the chain becomes that loose in one day??? Rear sprocket? Front sprocket? something else?!?!?!?!?

Please help!

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just went out to the bike to look at it some more...

BTW, the bike as 29,000 miles and it's the original chain. Rear sprocket looks good (a little dirty, but that's it. Teeth look good). I moved the bike around until the chain had the most slack. At that point, the chain could be moved to touch the underside of the swingarm. At the tighest, the chain only had MAYBE 1/2" slack. Maybe 1/4".

I have to admit that I'm horrible with lubing that damn chain. I do it maybe 2 times a year. It's an '07 with 29000 miles, so in the last 8 years, I've lubed it on average every 1200 miles. I believe the manual states every 600? I also do not lube it after every rain ride or bath.

I'm thinking that the only thing I need to do is replace the chain. If that's the case, what chain specs do I need? I will NOT be replacing any sprockets. Yes, I know you will say do it, but not this time. So what chain is needed?
2007 R6s

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Replace the chain amd sprokets. :fact

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the standard size for my bike:

116 links

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how come I can get a 520 kit with sprockets for 100, but ONLY the 532x116 chain for over 200????

·
BOHICA
54 Posts
I'm sure you're choosing not too replace your sprockets for financial reasons so I won't tell you that you need to do it.

I will tell you your old sprockets will ruin your new chain. They have a wear pattern on them from the previous chain and will tear up the new one.

So just save your money and wait until you can do both.

sent on the move

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
And stop riding the damn bike. And lube the chain from now on..

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm guessing the chain replacement is a quick driveway job, right? What about sprockets?

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, if a chain/sprocket combo kit states it's for '03-'05, that should fit the '07 R6s, right? I know pretty much everything else is the same, but I just wanna make sure.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
How is it possible that someone has been registered on a motorcycle forum for 8 years, has over 12,000 posts, and has absolutely zero clue on chain maintenance?

And you need to post up pictures of this chain and these "good" sprockets. Sorry, but if you don't even know what's going on with your chain, you're certainly in no position to be the judge on whether your sprockets are good or not. :bowroll

·
candy red
7,505 Posts
you'll need to cut down the new chain. rear sprocket is straight forward, front can be taken off easily with a impact gun. some say do or don't use one but many have had success with it. Also, id recommend a rivet style master link. If you go with different teeth count on either sprocket (or both) i'd suggest getting a speedoDRD or similar.

And yes, the 03-05 should work.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
How is it possible that someone has been registered on a motorcycle forum for 8 years, has over 12,000 posts, and has absolutely zero clue on chain maintenance?

And you need to post up pictures of this chain and these "good" sprockets. Sorry, but if you don't even know what's going on with your chain, you're certainly in no position to be the judge on whether your sprockets are good or not. :bowroll
Fcking this. All of this. :bowroll:

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yes, the sprockets are in decent shape. And I DO have a clue to chain maintenance... laziness just gets in the way a few times.

sometimes

most of the time

All right... ALL the time.

:lmao

you'll need to cut down the new chain. rear sprocket is straight forward, front can be taken off easily with a impact gun. some say do or don't use one but many have had success with it. Also, id recommend a rivet style master link. If you go with different teeth count on either sprocket (or both) i'd suggest getting a speedoDRD or similar.

And yes, the 03-05 should work.
Thanks for the info.

My impact gun doesn't work well with my crappy compressor (not enough power). I do have a breaker bar though, so I'll be using that anyway. The 532 chain ALONE is over $200. If I do a 530 conversion, then it's cheaper because of the availability of that size chain.

Looks like I'm replacing all three.

I just hate hate HATE wrenching on my vehicles when it's only to fix something. I'd rather be wrenching to modify, or riding the damn thing.

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hector... you also mentioned rivet style is what you recommend. What's wrong with the clip style masterlink?

I'm guessing a regular rivet gun is NOT used to put together the rivet masterlink, right?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

·
2007 R6
915 Posts
Being "lazy" on something like chain and sprockets is NOT good self preservation and a good way to end up dead. I normally check mine before and after every ride, whether it be 10 miles or 250 miles.

29K on original setup?? :eek:

·
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah. 29K. All miles driven by me. And me alone. I had a co-worker's boyfriend ask me if he could ride my bike. It took me three weeks to tell my co-worker the usual response I normally tell people:

"I'll let you ride my girl if you let me ride yours."

Luckily, my co-worker is a cool girl and we get along. She laughed. :lmao

:bowroll

No, it's not.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+rivet+motorcycle+chain
And this is why I don't frequent any forums as much as I used to... too many asshat replies. Just because you're the "racing expert", doesn't mean everyone else is. Did you know that this is my third bike, but it's my first bike that I've had long enough to deal with replacing a chain? :poke

:nono

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Yeah. 29K. All miles driven by me. And me alone. I had a co-worker's boyfriend ask me if he could ride my bike. It took me three weeks to tell my co-worker the usual response I normally tell people:

"I'll let you ride my girl if you let me ride yours."

Luckily, my co-worker is a cool girl and we get along. She laughed. :lmao

And this is why I don't frequent any forums as much as I used to... too many asshat replies. Just because you're the "racing expert", doesn't mean everyone else is. Did you know that this is my third bike, but it's my first bike that I've had long enough to deal with replacing a chain? :poke

:nono
Are you a newbie? Because you're acting like a butthurt noob. Toughen up, buttercup. When you have been here as long as YOU have, people are gonna give you shit for asking basic 101 questions.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Your sprocket is out of round.
I'm sure they covered what to do

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
this is all i could think of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZWjwHgveY

Get yourself some Chain Wax
http://www.revzilla.com/product/maxima-chain-wax

Replace your chain and sprockets. As stated if you dont change the sprockets your new chain will be garbage
And before you go for a ride spray some chain wax on their, let it sit for 10 minutes, and your good.
Get the rivet style master link so you dont have to risk the clip coming off the master link and sending your nice new chain into your crank case!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts