Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried putting neodymium magnets in the front of your bottom fairing to help trip traffic lights sensors?
I'm tired of getting stuck at lights...

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
might want to check with DOT in your state.

in NC if a bike is at a red light with a sensor for 3 minutes and it doesnt change we can run it. :fact

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts

in NC if a bike is at a red light with a sensor for 3 minutes and it doesnt change we can run it. :fact
that may be a rule, but i doubt the cop who just pulls onto the road will buy that, and/or the guy you didn't see with the green will be looking for you.

i have this issue every once in a while and will run the light eventually, but i usually only have the issue when there isn't a car in sight and thats why it wont trip.

not a big enough deal to spend money on.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
that may be a rule, but i doubt the cop who just pulls onto the road will buy that, and/or the guy you didn't see with the green will be looking for you.

i have this issue every once in a while and will run the light eventually, but i usually only have the issue when there isn't a car in sight and thats why it wont trip.

not a big enough deal to spend money on.
It's not just a rule it's NC law. I have to run lights pretty much everytime I ride. I've never heard of anybody getting a ticket for it either, cop can't prove you didn't wait 3 minutes unless he was sitting at the light timing you.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
First ticket was for this incident, I waited 4 light cycle changes (was 2AM in the morning so the lights are triggered by the weight or when a car pulls up instead of a cycle) and still nothing. I treated it like a stop sign and as soon as I left a cop turned on his lights and pulled me over, told me the light changed 2 - 3 seconds after I left but I tried to explain that it was only because he pulled up he didn't believe me.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
It's not just a rule it's NC law. I have to run lights pretty much everytime I ride. I've never heard of anybody getting a ticket for it either, cop can't prove you didn't wait 3 minutes unless he was sitting at the light timing you.
it may be law, but if you take it to court, it is his word against yours. all he has to do is lie(not that a cop would EVER do that...) and say he saw you sit there for about 20 seconds, then you left. 99% of the time, they will take his word over yours. sad, but true

·
Registered
372 Posts
Oklahoma just passed a law this summer that goes effective Nov 1 that as long as we come to a stop and traffic is clear we can run the red.

·
Registered
556 Posts
As far as the NC 3 minute thing, it is true, to a degree. The law does not ALLOW you to drive through the light, it only allows for a valid case in your defense. Meaning that you can still get a citation for it, and you can fight it and win. I had to deal with this shit cause of some noob officer looking to boost her portfolio. Luckally, she didnt show for court, and things already were in my favor.

·
Registered
556 Posts
it may be law, but if you take it to court, it is his word against yours. all he has to do is lie(not that a cop would EVER do that...) and say he saw you sit there for about 20 seconds, then you left. 99% of the time, they will take his word over yours. sad, but true
While this may be true, he would have to have very specific time stamps stating when he arrived at the intersection, when he saw you pull up, and when he saw you leave. Most of the seasoned officers know this is a valid defense and as long as it is done safely, you are generally ok. The law here stated that even a pedestrian has right away over you.

(e) Defense. – It shall be a defense to a violation of sub-subdivision (b)(2)a. of this section if the operator of a motorcycle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(27)d., shows all of the following:

(1) The operator brought the motorcycle to a complete stop at the intersection or stop bar where a steady red light was being emitted in the direction of the operator.

(2) The intersection is controlled by a vehicle actuated traffic signal using an inductive loop to activate the traffic signal.

(3) No other vehicle that was entitled to have the right-of-way under applicable law was sitting at, traveling through, or approaching the intersection.

(4) No pedestrians were attempting to cross at or near the intersection.

(5) The motorcycle operator who received the citation waited a minimum of three minutes at the intersection or stop bar where the steady red light was being emitted in the direction of the operator before entering the intersection."

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
exactly, i'm not arguing the legality of it either. but we all know who wins in a "he said, cop said" argument.

·
Registered
561 Posts

any idea where to find that for illinois? i just searched their site and all i got was operations manuals and dont drink and ride stuff

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
if its late at night i run it, if its daytime and theres traffic i go around.

·
Registered
391 Posts
man i have wondered about this also since one time i got up to a light and it would not change i waited 3 times and still nothing. i even had some douche bag drivers behind me but they were scared to get closer to me even though i was waving them to get on the sensor. so the 4th time i just ran it and was cussing to the idiot cars that would not pull up to trip the sensor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts