Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what has worked for you...I had some blue neons on last summer, but those didn't last too long, and went out, lost brightness, etc. I then had some LED neon tubes...those looked good for under the tail, and under the engine pointed at the ground, because they light up real bright, but on the sides they were weak unless you stood looking right at them as LED's do. Any neons or LED kits that have worked well for you guys?? Links/Reviews if possible...thanks a lot.

·
Registered
244 Posts
A friend of mine bought some LED lights off of Ebay and put them on his bike.. these looked pretty good but I think he put 16 lights up. They are very small and draw .02 amps per bulb so they won't drain your battery and they supposedly have a life of 100,000 hours. His bike at night looks real nice and the good thing is that the lights are small so he was able to put them where they would give off the most light. Anyway here is a link if you want to check them out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35560&item=4526453879&rd=1

Good luck :cheers

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
LEDs are the way to go. You can find some really good LEDs on ebay for cheap. I paid something like $1 per LED. If you pay anymore, you are getting screwed. You can also go to Radio Shack or any other electronic store and pic some up for a decent price. Just make sure that they have a resistor on them. Neons will drain your battery. LEDs you can leave on forever. I left mine on for two days on accident and my bike started right up. Just make sure that when you get LEDs that they are atleast 10,000mcd if you want your bike to stand out. Check out this guy's store on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/ColdfusionX-Electronics_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
just to give a small lesson in LED technology.

LEDs were never ment to be seen from the side... They were ment to be seen direct on. That is why the LED traffic lights are bright as h3ll when you approach them, but get dim and some even look like they go out when viewed from the side.

If your LEDs that you bought were never ment to be seen from the side, with all of the new uses they are producing new nversion of LEDs that have a wider viewing angle, it would make sense that they were not all that great.

Also, you could have gotten some cheap, I mean really cheap, LEDs and neon tube....

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I was contemplating adding neons and strobes to my bike this year. Still not 100% sure yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A recent acquaintance of mine put a set of neons on his 954RR that are really trick. It's a compact unit with a remote that allowed him to change to something like 7 different colors at the touch of a button. I've never seen anything like it, but being unique definitely isn't cheap. This guy Steve can tell you more. If you want the hook-up call Steve at Thunder Alley (315) 592-5505.

·
Registered
587 Posts
LED baby it is the only way to go!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The LED's weren't cheap at all, and crazy bright, I just think the viewing angle was too small When they were on the sides of the bike, in the cut outs of the fairings, I wanted that to glow, but it really didn't glow so much as have light bounce off the frame. Thanks for the input guys, if anyone has any pics and how they did it that'd be great too!!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I got blue LEDs all over mine...I need to get some good pics of it tho.

Remember KITT the Black TA that had the "back and forth" lights on the front? haha I have 4 of those in blue LED on my bike. and 6 single blue LEDs mounted under plastics and such.

LEDs are damn cheap if you know what you are doing with them. I buy them in 100's for like $22.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Yoda, I'm ok, pretty new at LED's. I found an LED converter thingy online for what resistor to use etc...plus the radio shack guys are pretty helpful, but do you have a diagram of how to do the back and forth thing, I would love to do that!! I have leds in the corner of the headlight lenses, looks awesome, the rest of the stuff I removed.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
yeah, the back and forth LEDs I bough from an O'Reileys Auto Parts...LOL!!!

like $15 for the 2 pieces. yeah, I cheated, but I am not into building circuit boards for that kind of stuff.

·
LOOK...OVER THERE
8 Posts
i bought some neon strobe lights from wal-mart for $10 a set. i went to this buy who installed stereo's and stuff and had him put them on. i had two under the air duct, two under the lower fairing and two under the tail. and he wired in a on/ off switch for me. total cost was $60 and that shit was tight. they don't work anymore cause i had to cut the wires so i could fix some stuff. but if you get some car lights and take them to a stereo intall place they should be able to hook you up.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Well, to make the LED sweep effect you'd need to make a IC based circiut that would move the + to the correct LED at the correct speed to get teh desired effect.... It's not that easy, so do what yoda did, and buy a prefabed kit.

For LEDs check out these guys: www.parts-express.com have tons of stuff that will come in handy when dealing with electronic projects like this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
1st post

why don't you guys try using CCFL's (cold cathodes) they are similar to neons but alot smaller and a little more forgiving

new member, i have been to the site a couple times but never really said anything. and as for the "KIT" lights i got one of those alarm scanners from autozone and did the same thing (thats the reason i got the nickname knightrider)

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
i have 16 blue LED's all hidden on my bike...you cant find them....but at night it lights my whole shit up.....LED's are definitly the way to go....Neons are for civics and Del Sol's LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts