Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2007 R6
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbdown:thumbdown I bought a GPR VR4 and it leaked from the second ride....not just break in but leaking bad. I emailed them and told them I would pay for a new seal and the shipping and they never emailed me back. This damper should not be leaking......Scotts it is from now on.:mad:

·
Registered
206 Posts
i just bought one too recently
how do you check if its leaking?

·
2007 R6
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry to hear that. i thought GPR were the shitznitz.

Yeah I did too...until it shot fluid all over and they never replied to my email. Too expensive for that to happen, I heard the got bad seals from China so I am assuming this is a common problem that they are now trying to ignore.:secret

·
Registered
592 Posts
:thumbdown:thumbdown I bought a GPR VR4 and it leaked from the second ride....not just break in but leaking bad. I emailed them and told them I would pay for a new seal and the shipping and they never emailed me back. This damper should not be leaking......Scotts it is from now on.:mad:
Someone on Sportbikes.net had this problem...seems they started buying seals from China for a while..well they replaced the unit no questions asked...he had also had a previous problem with the mounting bracket breaking and they took care of that also I will try to find the link but I am a tard when it comes to that stuff...good luck to you bud...:)

·
2007 R6
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will start leaking fluid around the dial. It starts out looking like condensation and then it will start leaking worse and worse. It really sucks too, just the hassle of taking it off and having to send it back to get it fixed IF THEY REPLY TO YOUR EMAIL.

·
2007 R6
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone on Sportbikes.net had this problem...seems they started buying seals from China for a while..well they replaced the unit no questions asked...he had also had a previous problem with the mounting bracket breaking and they took care of that also I will try to find the link but I am a tard when it comes to that stuff...good luck to you bud...:)

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
That sucks bro, I hope this issue gets resolved soon. Id try calling them directly it might be more expeditious than waiting for them to email you back.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've been looking into getting one but which one??? I've seen some that look like a dial like Scotts and then I've seen some that are like a hydraulic piston rod like ohlins or hyperpro. Is the dial better than the piston, vice versa? or am I completely off? Heelllppppp...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've been looking into getting one but which one??? I've seen some that look like a dial like Scotts and then I've seen some that are like a hydraulic piston rod like ohlins or hyperpro. Is the dial better than the piston, vice versa? or am I completely off? Heelllppppp...
To be honest and short it's all personal preference. They all work towards the same thing and any of them (when working properly) are great to have. Without getting into everything that has been discussed time and time again, just search for it you'll get every answer your looking for + some.

·
DeathPodComesFromTheSky!
390 Posts
I bought one.... No problems yet, but I will keep an eye open. Sorry to hear about your problem. Nothing worse than buying a product you are psyched on and it takes a dump from the get go.:thumbdown

·
DeathPodComesFromTheSky!
390 Posts
so is this a problem with all the V4's? New or old?? Did they catch it and fix them? Just trying to figure out if mine is gonna blow out.:popcorn:

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Dude...not cool:confused:
I bought mine a while ago and I still haven't gotten home, what's the warranty on these things?

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
I got my seals replaced about 2 months ago. I called them directly and got it all set up real fast. They fixed it and sent it back next day air for no charge. I was real impressed w/their customer service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought my GPRv4 sometime in january...i got the very first blue damper. Sometime last week I noticed some fluid around the bracket, thought it was just water since it was raining a lot here in miami. I cleaned it up and there hasn't been any fluid since. But i suspected all along that the damper was leaking.

Called motomummy and they forwarded me to GPR...called GPR and the guy who answered the phone was REAL COOL. I told him the situation and he said "that's what we're here for". Told me the situation about the seals on the OLD ones being incompatible with the fluid and thus leaking. Took care of me real good! Even sent me a different color (ever since i got it, i been wanting it in black). Called this past tuesday, and i received the new one today in the mail. Shipping charges both ways on GPR. Awesome customer service.

In the back of my mind i was thinking the same thing the thread starter was thinking. "Never buying a GPR product again". But after this incident, i have confidence in buying their products based on customer service.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
i love my GPR!!!!!! they should take care of you. GPR is a reputable company.
check this thread out..... this is the same problem your having.....
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63796
heres some quotes from the thread.........

corey from motomummy.....
we are only selling the gpr's we have them dropping the product line as half the version 4's we have sold have now leaked oil and gpr only has a 30 day warranty on it. until they get the product so very few have problems we are going to be dropping this product line.
and a dude who talked to GPR with the same prob..........
I called them today and they said that all the v4's have had a problem and it was because the company they bought the seals from tried to save a buck and bought seals from china that leak after 5 minutes. They have now switched seal companies to someone that gets seals made in the USA, and will send you a brand new V4 damper free of charge and all you do is put your leaking one in the box and ups will take it back. So for everyone with a V4 just call them the 30 day warranty does not apply because I had mine for 2 months and they didn't even ask they just said yep it should be leaking because of the junk seals we have taken 30,000 back already and more will come back until we get them all replaced with new ones, and sorry for the inconvience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts