Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
get going in first gear bring your rpms up to 6000 and qwickly drop off the trottle and back on agin and your front will come up slowly and veary controlable (NO CLUTCH) you will only be going 20-30mph so its easy. trust me I've only had my bike a week and im already bringing the front up 3 feet.
if you get scaried just let off the trottle and it will replant your front tire to the ground. EASY
now im on to stoppies and cluched wheelies :)

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
r6 4 La la laaaa LIFE
112 Posts
so ....i can power it in first with no problem...never "looped" ....i can hold it for a second but rpm's make it so i cannot hold it any further...i try and clutch it in second..i dont know what im doing wrong but it comes up barely or my tire just spins and slightly walks a little bit..not bad tho...what am i doing wrong to clutch it up in second to get it up there? do i have to preload the shocks hardcore or what?...i have stock sprocket so nothing changed with that

·
Registered
749 Posts
Powering it up keeps it low and learning style... Clutching before your ready = looped bike.... There are some videos on youtube that help-ish

For example...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Clutching is by far the most predictable and safest method, learning or not. I'm guessing the guy above is saying powering wheelies is safer because he's still rocking squidly power wheelies. Learn to take advice from those who know, not those who think they know.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Squid? Are you serious? I have raced motocross my whole life and its a hell of a lot easier to ride wheelies on sportbikes. I have personally seen people clutch a wheelie and go over bakwards because it lifts too quickly. There are steps that should be taken first. A noob should never clutch a wheelie to start....

·
I Love My Six
85 Posts
Riding period is dangerous ans should be done with extreme caution no matter who you are, how long you have been riding, or how much you know about riding. Anything can happen. As far as the wheelies... in my opinion its personal preference on how you want to ride/pop a wheelie. Clutch or throttle that baby is going to do whatever it wants.

·
Registered
452 Posts
in my opinion i think power wheelies are a little :gay right after you get past that breaking point they come up VERY FAST, and can be very unpredictable. and if you ever want to learn how to actually stunt a sportbike you gotta know how to use the clutch. just my .02

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
this post was for the pepole that say "I've never done a wheelie" the power wheelie is an easy way i think, and to me it seems way more controlable than clutching into a wheelie.
this is about as high as i will take my bike with out any kind of cage or sliders or rear hand brake.
its a nice little power wheelie :)

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've never had an issue with powering it up at 6000. At that RPM the bike will gradually fall into it's sweet spot and pick the front end up off the ground. But you'll be hitting the rev limiter way before having the wheel up to high. I've found the dangerous powerups to be more around 9-11K RPM's. At this range the bike is at it's sweet spot ready to go. It's thirsty, waiting for your full throttle.

I love pulling away in first, then full throttle at about 30-40mph bringing the front wheel up about 3-4ft then touching down as I shift into second.

Have fun and gear up!

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts
Where are you at in Salem? Send me a PM sometime and we will go riding. I go down there all the time. As for wheeling, if you are going to start learning how to wheelie, get a steering damper on your bike. That way when you "let off the throttle" becuz you got scared you won't have tank slapping to contend with. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i live by the fair grounds but i cant go riding untill i get back from alaska < where i am now. i will be gitting back around the 10th of june

·
Registered
166 Posts
I keep hearing the terms "rev limiter" and "power wheelie" and the only thing that comes to mind is squidliness.

Rev Limiter = For Coasters

Power Wheelie = Get that gaaabage outta here!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I was thinking how can pepole run out of rpm's before they fliped over?.
the key to the power wheelie is to LET OFF THE THROTTLE FIRST! THIS WILL COMPRESS YOUR FRONT FORKS.
If you read the first post agin you have to let off the throttle and then give it full throttle. You will be abble to get it as high as you are willing to go before you run out of rpm's. mine jumps rite up, easy as pie.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts