Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up Yall....

I believe this pretty much and obvious choice...anyone would be the R6. Im just hearing "real professionals" like MFS instructors and other saying that if youve never ridden b4 to get a small 250cc bike to get used to ridding and the R6 is a great bike but too much for a real newbie like my self who has never even ridden.

I recently got my learners and signed up for the beginers course for June 3rd. I want to buy a bike b4 then and practice with my neighbor who owns a R6.

I need honest and safe opinions and facts....do you really think its safe for me to get a R6 or should I get a 250R to learn on for a year or two.

Thanks dude's and dudets...
:stupic

·
Registered
222 Posts
starting on a 250 or a 500 is a good idea. but for two years? um.. .NO.

for some, the MSF course alone is enough time to learn the basics and be safe on a 600. I rode a 500cc bike (42bhp) for 4 months, then got my R6 and I feel confident on it. If you must get a 600 to start out on, 1. take the MSF course first and 2. buy a USED 600 so it wont sting as much the first time you drop it (we're human, we all drop things now and then).

I'm also 28 years old and I have a strong desire to LIVE. If you want to whack the throttle and ride like a crazy person from the start, I recommend a 500. If you are responsible enough to take your time and not push your limits for a while, go 600. Its all about respecting the bike. Some people do, others don't... which one you are is something only you know for sure.

Have fun at the MSF course :cheers

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The R6 is a great first bike.

As long as you take it V E R Y S L O W

As soon as you decide you are better than you are, YOU WILL CRASH and mess up your bike (probably get hurt real bad too).

If you take it slow and practice A LOT, read books, look at instruction websites, take the MSF course, etc.. (in other words, study riding) you should be fine.

JUST DON'T BE STUPID!!!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you want to get a bike now b4 taking the msf course then get a used 250 or 500. if you take the msf course b4 getting a bike, then get a used r6.

in nov. of 2003 i took the msf without ever having sat on a motorcycle in my life. this included street bikes and dirt bikes. after completing and passing the msf course, i got my license. then i took the month of dec. off from riding, just becuase i was looking for a bike. on jan. 1, 2004 i bought myself a 2002 r6. i feel very confident riding, but i also am a responsible rider. havent had one close call yet, and hope that i dont for a long time, but i do know that it will eventually happen and i will be ready for it. hope that helps. see if you can get into an earlier class. i know that sometimes if you just go up to where the classes are they will let you in if someone doesnt show up. id call them and ask if they do that. just to let you know, i got my 02 for $5500, he also threw in his mods and gear to be nice. youll probably find some bikes that you think is the one for you, but if its to high or doesnt work out, there will be another one just as good that comes along. also, i pay $800 a yr for full coverage ins. im 18 as well with a clean record. just wanted to let you know what your expenses will be. got any more questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
50 Posts
R6

I am also a new rider and completed the MSF course in july. I had never riden any type of motorcycle or streetbike before. I would strongly recommend taking the course before buying a bike!!!! I would also say that I did have an r6 waiting for me after I finished the course. So basically what im saying is if you take the course first you should be fine on a 6, as long as you take it slowly..... :cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bro....

I have a class mate in my college class that owns 2 bikes and one is a R6. Its a 2003 silver R6 that he told me he is selling today. Anyway, I asked him the same question that I asked you guys and he said the he started on a 600 first and that he's fine. O well...I guess R6 it is...thanks for all your feedback.

By the way Im a 25 year old who's married with 1 kid and Im a responsible and calm kinda guy so I dont expect my self to go crazy out there.....Thanks again.

:hammer

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
rhangel said:
By the way Im a 25 year old who's married with 1 kid and Im a responsible and calm kinda guy so I dont expect my self to go crazy out there.....Thanks again.

:hammer
If this is true, the R6 is your bike...

i was 26 and married when I got my first bike, that was almost a year ago, it was an R6, I still ride that R6, better than most guys ride their literbikes.

as long as you take your time and do your homework (read up and practice basic skills) you will be fine

BE CAREFUL, AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
my best advice to you is buy the bike but dont ride it yet. sign up for the msf course. after completing the msf course then ride the r6. at least this way you have the bike you want and getting some riding experience from the msf course. now dont give in to the temptation of riding the bike before the completion of the course. it may bite you back. awe hell i wouldnt be able to help myself anyway, i would be sneakin in a ride or two.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Those of you who have NO motorcycling experience whatsoever should seriously reconsider getting an R6 for a first bike.

I don't care how athletic and coordinated you think you are, you are just asking for trouble. Ask Jay Williams.

You should either be looking along the lines of a EX-500, or a GS-500. Perhaps a dual-sport, as it is a GREAT second bike to a sportbike you get down the road. Especially in terms of cost to ride/insure/repair.

And if you think you are going to be bored with a 500, then you obviously care more about straight line speed and not actually riding a motorcycle. In which case don't even bother with the R6, you will be greatly disappointed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
[b]02 R6 4 SALE[/b]

4 SALE 4 SALE: Good 4 beggining, 2002 Yamaha blue/white YZF R6 with 5000 miles for $5,900.00 obo in great condition. Bike includes Yoshimura slip on exhaust, fender eliminator kit, Memphis shades 2 tone blue to clear wind shield, clear tear drop flush mount turn signals, black frame protectors, and clear tail light turn signals. Bike was serviced and on file, looks and runs great, very popular bike, two words that best describe it sexy, fast. Reason for selling the bike is I have decided to start school soon, the bike has never given me a problem and is just outstanding. If interested and have any questions or would like pictures my number is (715) 344-6771, email: [email protected] If your looking to turn heads look no further, my loss is your gain. Tony Location: WI

·
Registered
67 Posts
I started on a R6 for my first bike.. bought it nearly brand new (600 miles) about 3 months ago.. Id never ridden before, just had dreams.. Everyone told me how dumb I was but eh, I handle it ok.. Im learning more and more everyday of course, but Ive never had a MSF course, and I FINALLY got my "M" class about 3 weeks ago (easy, just never felt the desire to get a license).. I think that if your strong willed, and not scared, the R6 will be fine, just RESPECT IT.. Hell after 2 months, my chicken strips were down to about 2mm in width :D Dont think im doing TOO bad..

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just got back from riding tonight and one of the guys I was riding with went down hard and almost took my buddy out too. My advice would be to know your limits early on. If you feel like you have no knowledge of bikes in general then you would be better off riding a 250 first then moving up. The guy who went down didn't even know what I was talking about when I said that his fairings were all fucked up. I am glad you are doing your research first, but don't think that an MSF course will have you totally ready to go out and ride. So read up and make your decision, if you have even the slightest bit of doubt, then go with the smaller bike. It will pay off in the end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whatever you do just have respect for the bike. My first bike was my 03 R1 and i rode before taking a MSF course. It's been 2 years now and i don't know many guys who can ride faster than I do. Cant say i was making the best choice and i wouldn't recommend you getting a 1000cc sportbike to learn on. My point is simply get whats your hearts desire but just have nothing but 110% respect for it. R6 is a great bike to learn on. My lady is learning on her 05 R6 and she's taking it slow but doing very well. She's had it for a week and getting better every day. RESPECT and patience is the key.

·
Dibba daba
3,066 Posts
I didnt read all the posts so im sure Im gonna say the same as everyone else (maby maby not)

my first bike was the R6. Brand New...took the MSF...Helped alot...Everyone said not to get a new bike....I said **** you...as long as you dont get hot headed about it youll be fine...take it easy untill you get used to it...i wont be doing wheelies untill i get a damper, and i wont be draging my knee untill i get atleat 6 months under my belt...I still have a slight chiken line on my front tire showing and just a little bit of untouched rubber on the back tire after 2800 miles..when people try to make fun of me for it, i tell them to kiss my ass. You dont need to impress anyone when you first get it. and the best people to ride with are the experenced guys who can teach you stuff but yet tell you to ride at your own pace and they wait up for you when your taggin far behind....get the 6 if you think you can do it (if you havnt dirvin a bike beofre DEF. do the MSF first) Just dont get ahead of yourself when you do get it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Id put a little more in and go the 03 with fuel injection. Runs a little smoother and everything is black (well the frame and swingarm is)

here in Australia when you get your licence we have a power restriction to 258cc for the first year then we can go up. I must admit it did come in handy plus they are easier to ride. You can fling em around

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm gonna have to disagree with a fair amount of people here. And I know I'm new here, so I don't mean to step on any toes, so please just take this for what it's worth.

I have been riding for nearly 4 years and 8k miles on a 2005 Suzuki GS500 until yesterday, when I bought my R6. I have taken the MSF course, and am level-headed and mature when riding. However, if I would have started on the R6 I'm not sure I'd still be riding.

This bike is a beast. I am so glad I learned on the small-yet-nimble GS, with all its 40 horsepower. I am now, in my opinion, a good rider and have prepared myself for a lifetime of riding. But I think that the R6 as a first bike is a terrible idea.

Just knowing what it can do tempts you, regardless of how safe you think you are. Knowing it can nearly touch 100 mph in first gear, can power wheelie in second and maybe even third gear, and can beat any car on the street...those are not good things to have in the back of your head as you are learning to countersteer and perform emergency maneuvers in the Denny's parking lot.

Again, this is just my opinion and is not meant to undercut anyone else. However, I would never feel alright about telling someone to buy this bike to learn on. It may end fine, but it also may end horribly.

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
What up Yall....

I believe this pretty much and obvious choice...anyone would be the R6. Im just hearing "real professionals" like MFS instructors and other saying that if youve never ridden b4 to get a small 250cc bike to get used to ridding and the R6 is a great bike but too much for a real newbie like my self who has never even ridden.

I recently got my learners and signed up for the beginers course for June 3rd. I want to buy a bike b4 then and practice with my neighbor who owns a R6.

I need honest and safe opinions and facts....do you really think its safe for me to get a R6 or should I get a 250R to learn on for a year or two.

Thanks dude's and dudets...
:stupic
I was in your exact same shoes a few months back. I've ridden Kawasaki & Honda dirt bikes back in the mid to late 80's & then Yamaha quads in the mid & late 90's. Never rode a street bike of any sort before. I was dead set on an 06 or up R6 but once in a dealership & they actually had a black 08 Ninja 250 on the floor I had to think about this but what turned me off of the Ninja was they wanted $4K + tax for a bike that was $3500 list? I did not know they would be quite as hot an item as they were. Went back to the dealer two days later & it was gone. I have never seen another one at any dealer around me yet. I've seen these sell used for $5K+ & I wish I would have bought that black one when I had the chance as I could have rode it a little & actually sold it for a profit.

All that being said I knew the 250 would get old pretty fast & I would end up on the R6 in the end. The R6 is great if you just take it slow & practice in parking lots + very low traffic streets. I'm still intimidated by the power this bike has & I ride very defensively at all times. I'm 37 & not a moron, I respect the bike & the power. Do I suggest a 600 as a first bike? NO I don't but everyone is different & its your life so do what's best for you & your habits. If you think you can't resist full throttle right away then get the 250! If you can lay off it for a while then maybe the 600 will be OK for you.

The smaller you are the more I would suggest the 250 because it's a lot shorter & lighter. I'm 5' 6 1/2" & I could sit flat footed with slightly bent knees on the 08 250 but I only get 1/2 of each foot on the ground on the 06 07 08 R6 + the 08 250 has more comfort than most sport bikes offer because you sit more upright. The 250 will lose almost no value so take that into consideration too then you know you could sell it at anytime to get a bigger bike. That was my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts