Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what can I say...... I haven't been riding in 12 years since marriage and kids!!!!!... Last bikes owned were '89 Honda Hurricane and '95 ZX7R!!

I say the R6 last week... I called my wife and told her I say the sweetest bike in have ever seen..... A Yamaha R6!.... we were leaving the nest day for my daughters dance competition in Chicago... She said when we get back we wil go look at it..... Got back this last Sunday..... Purchased a R6 (Yellow) Monday!!!! Great bike!! But I was debating between the R1 & R6..... My wife said the R6 and maybe next year upgrade to the R1 and she will ride the R6!!!! What a sweet Day!!!!!! My wife is awesome!!!!!

So since I am 12 yrs behind I had to play caught up...... These bike handle a whole differently the the one's in the Mid 90's.....

So my questions are for the R6.....

What is the best way to break in the engine?

One thing I noticed was the you had to pre-load the throttle when starting for 0. This is a little different than what I am use to.....

And the last question I have for now is where should I keep the RPM's while riding?

Thanks

Black

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Gratz on the new bike. There are a couple of theories out there on how to break them in. One is to do what the OEM suggest, keep her under 8000 RPM till you hit 600 miles. The other is to ride her like you stole her. If you are concerned about the warranty, then do what the manufacture suggest. As for the throttle, the R6 becomes a different bike when you hit 8K rpm. The R6 is a top end bike for sure. Some will tell you to add mods to her to get better low end performance (520 conversion, PC3, full exhaust, etc). That's a choice you will need to make depending upon how hard you ride her. Be safe on the street. Make sure you take the MSF course (again if necessary). And wear gear always. Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
660 Posts
Well what can I say...... I haven't been riding in 12 years since marriage and kids!!!!!... Last bikes owned were '89 Honda Hurricane and '95 ZX7R!!

I say the R6 last week... I called my wife and told her I say the sweetest bike in have ever seen..... A Yamaha R6!.... we were leaving the nest day for my daughters dance competition in Chicago... She said when we get back we wil go look at it..... Got back this last Sunday..... Purchased a R6 (Yellow) Monday!!!! Great bike!! But I was debating between the R1 & R6..... My wife said the R6 and maybe next year upgrade to the R1 and she will ride the R6!!!! What a sweet Day!!!!!! My wife is awesome!!!!!

So since I am 12 yrs behind I had to play caught up...... These bike handle a whole differently the the one's in the Mid 90's.....

So my questions are for the R6.....

What is the best way to break in the engine?

One thing I noticed was the you had to pre-load the throttle when starting for 0. This is a little different than what I am use to.....

And the last question I have for now is where should I keep the RPM's while riding?

Thanks

Black
i think youre suppose to keep it under 8500 during break in. what does he mean by pre-load the throttle??

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
i think youre suppose to keep it under 8500 during break in. what does he mean by pre-load the throttle??
He is saying that it takes a lot of throttle to get the R6 moving. In otherwords, more RPM. What he may not know is the 08 R6 comes with the YCC-I, which wasn't in the 06/07 models. Further, he now has the YCC-T electronic throttle he has to get use to that differs from his older bike. So he actually has better mid-range power than the previous generation R6.

·
Banned
660 Posts
He is saying that it takes a lot of throttle to get the R6 moving. In otherwords, more RPM. What he may not know is the 08 R6 comes with the Y-CCI, which wasn't in the 06/07 models. So he actually has better mid-range power than the previous generation R6.

oh ok...question for ya mr paytheon. at what rpm do you usually shift at?? i konw you dont look every time you shift but ball park figure. i shift at around 7 or 8000 but i think i might be shifting a little early seems like the bike is getting pissed off when i shift.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
On the track I probably shift around 14K to 16K RPM (in straight aways). In and around town I don't press her much, so I usually shift around 6K RPM.

·
Banned
660 Posts
On the track I probably shift around 14K to 16K RPM. In and around town I don't press her much, so I usually shift around 6K RPM.

oh ok thanks i guess i was doing it right...thought maybe it was better for the bike if you shift a little higher

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
congrat's on the new toy.

·
Dan the man
292 Posts
that new yellow paint scheme is sick

·
U.S. Marine
1,099 Posts
that new yellow paint scheme is sick
The yellow is sick this year! I would stamp a big fat Steelers emblem on the windshield :))

1 - 13 of 13 Posts