Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2004 r6 as my first bike. Love it. Needs some attention as it runs a little rough most likely from sitting for almost a year. What oil and filter is recommended? And any other freshening up tips

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Inevitably people will recommend that you practically rebuild the entire motorcycle; more especially without mileage or a known use/maintenance history.

Download the manual and take a gander at the maintenance schedule... keeping in mind that the lawyers had a hand in writing it. So safety items like the kickstand switch are going to have ridiculous maintenance intervals. With constant high-RPM use, some mechanical items such as valve lash will fall in line with those intervals. Legitemate RPMs on the street, not so much.

See my post about the front sprocket here...

Oil discussions are literally endless. Winter oil, 10W-40 and Summer has been 20W-50, both being full synthetic Castrol brand. Near 80k no issues. Started out using Yamaha's OEM filter with no issues. Only reason I've been using K&N is the bolt-head on the end makes it sdubidly easy to loosen/tighten. Apparently they had some issues in the past that burned the racing crowd so they're reportedly not trusted on track(s).

Of course, inspect your brakes, tires and chain. Lube your throttle and clutch cables. Broken chains have been known to put an almost irreparable hole in the crankcase. Physics, lighter chains wear much quicker.

Regarding the rough idle, check your spark plugs. Note any changes, such as exhaust, "block off plates", throttle valve removal, velocity stacks, etcetera. These changes require retuning, a step that many try to skip.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So you will probably need to change the plugs as mentioned above but right before that I would put in one middle step thats good for your tank/lines and ends up being a hell of a lot of fun lol. If you have gas in it go through that tank

so with about a half a tank of premium gas drop in a bottle of octane booster. Then comes the fun part. You burn through that tank. I dont mean burns outs snd wheelies lol. Just harder accelerations, faster shifts just push riding where you can. This will help burn up stuff off. However it normally leads to playing hell on plugs so dont do it till your ready to change.

also going forward you could look at using ethanol free gas. Alot of people using it on bike that store away but it actually has alot of benefits to use all the time. Thats more a personal choice though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts