Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
if its american, then yeah its a good price. where did you get it from? ill let someone else tell you how to break it in

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bought it from a dealer liquidation going out of business.

wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not cuz i never bought a bike new from a dealer before. i know you can deal cars down a lot, just wasn't sure about bikes.

also, you guys know good sites to get matching jackets and helmets for my new blue R6?

thanks again!

·
Registered
490 Posts
There's a couple of different schools of thought when it comes to break in... Some say follow the manual and others say break it in like you will be riding it... change your oil after a few hundred miles then at 1500 or so then every 3000 after that and your good to go...

I followed the break in with my 03. Mostly for my own good though... it was my first bike... If I got another one it would be rode hard right off the showroom floor...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wish I could pay 7,000 for a 2004!! You got a steal there man!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Man 7K that is a steal. MSRP is 7999, and unless you find a dealer that has alot on the floor you will pay close to that. I paid 7899 with frame sliders, plus tax, title and extended warranty. That was in October the first blue 04 they got. Paid more then some I am sure but I don't care, 2k later and I am having fun. Enjoy and spend the 1k you saved on some mods or some good gear.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I will give my advice on break in...

Ride it off the lot, and take it to about 75% of redline in the first few gears... doing it gently. Get it up to operating temperature, then ride straight home (or to a shop). Shifting gears constantly. Change the oil and the filter. This will probably only be a few dozen miles.

Then ride it like you would normally ride, taking it easy on the engine while it is warming up and when you are winding down your ride. Make sure you don't lug the engine in high gears, and that you shift A LOT. Gently running it up to redline is encouraged. Don't do any prolonged rides, you want to get it up to operating temperature for a while and then put her away till she is completely cooled off. Ride it this way till your 600 mile service.

After that, it really doesn't matter because the rings will be seated. And the engine will be throuroughly broken in from the heat cycles you put it through.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Loki, got mine at Stadium Yamaha in Irving. They treated me fair. I called around and had a few quatos, they matched and threw in the sliders. I may not have tech. got the first blue. They got several bikes in I had my choice between blue or red. They had a couple of each. The owner is a big red fan, but Blue has always been the color for me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm actually in the middle of aranging financing for the bike, the price was $7000, after tax and tags, im financing about $7500.

i called some local dealers today to see how i matched up, most of them said they would sell for $7400, but that would bring me to $8009 after tax.

so i saved about $500 from what i could buy here locally.

i was bugging out all day looking for good insurance coverage, i had quotes from $2200/year to $4000/yr !!!

i finally found a state farm carrier to quote me $850 till i turn 25 then it's $350/yr

as for the break in tips, sounds like good advice, i'll try and follow it to the T.

i'm a but reluctant to break it to redline though, do i have to do it the first three gears? or it doesnt matter does it...?

how much is the 600 mile service anyway, i don't have an owner's manual yet, sorry...

·
Registered
419 Posts
You can wait until 800-1000 miles to get the first service done. In the US it will cost you 100-150 bucks. I paid 7k for my 03 last year and they had a special on the first service to celebrate their 50 year anniversary. I only had to pay 50 bucks! Sweet.

As for breaking in the bike. Pretty much follow the MOM. Don't worry about getting the RPM's up here and there. The most important thing is to is to avoid constant RPM's. Don't linger in the same RPM's. Vary your speed 5-10 mph's while you are riding for the first 800-1000 miles. If you are going to get the oil changed in before 600 miles you should just do it yourself. It will be cheaper and it is just as easy as a car to do (minus removing the farings which is really easy). Also one more tip. Don't use syntheic oil until after the complete engine break in. synthetic oil is so slippery that the rings don't get the good friction needed to hone out the cylinder walls correctly. Go with the syntheic oils after the break in.

my $.02

·
Ride or Die
174 Posts
new bike

:twisted: kool man, thanks for the info. I've got the 04 and love her. Forst thing I'm doin is gettin rid of the donkey ears, lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.