Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vroom Vroom!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I am completely new at this, so forgive me as I am still confused on how to work this forum, it's the first forum I've ever used! :nocontrol So here is the deal, I am looking for a new bike. Obviously I want an R6, I currently own a 1999 cbr f4. It was my first bike. The thing is roughhhh hahaha. I didn't care about the looks obviously because it was my first bike and I just wanted to ride. However I'm undecided on which year of the brutally beautiful R6 to get. I've heard the 08 is the best!?!? So I was hoping you guys could give me some information and some input on the best year of the R6, and why it's the best year. :) Thank you everybody, and ride safe! :YEA

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
The "best" bike is so subjective that you really won't get a straight answer. Personally, I think the 05 was the best model. It has more low end grunt and better ergonomics than any of the 3rd gen bikes, which makes it a blast for the streets. The downside is that it isn't as great at the track as the 3rd gens. On the same token, unless you do trackdays a lot, you will probably never come close to using the full abilities of either one. If you plan on doing trackdays, I would suggest an 08+. It has better mid-range than the 06/07 models, while being a beast on the track. If you plan on riding street, I would suggest the 2nd gen(03/04 being good, 05 got better brakes and suspension, and then the 06-09 R6S model is the same as the 03/04). I just find it a lot more comfortable to ride than the 3rd gen.

·
Vroom Vroom!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the very fast reply! That's awesome! Yeah I love the looks of the 3rd Gens. I live in Pennsylvania, it's a pretty desolate town in the Alleghany forest, so Street riding won't be much of an everyday thing. We have some pretty decent twistes around here as well. But comfort is a big plus on the bike, although I can tolerate being uncomfortable, especially when I can enjoy the ride :lmao so I'm pretty undecided in getting the 05 or an 08+. Is the midrange on the 3rd Gens really that bad?! I understand all 600s won't have very good bottom or midrange, but is the R6 really that bad?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
the 06/07 has a pretty weak low and mid range. The 08+ is better on the mid, but i still feel the 2nd gen has substantially more. The best way to find out is probably going to be for you to go somewhere where you can try riding each on and just see which you prefer. It shouldn't be too terribly hard to find an 03-05 r6 or 06-09 R6S to ride, and then an 08+ r6 to compare it to. That will really be the only way to determine what you think it satisfactory to you.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
If you get an S model go with 2005.

·
Vroom Vroom!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input! I think I'm gonna go with a 3rd Gen though. Not quite sure what year yet :roll: but as of now I'm leaning towards the 3rd Gens.

·
wat?
722 Posts
If you plan on doing trackdays racing, I would suggest an 08+.

My edit to the above. 3rd gen is a terrible street bike. 2nd gen is far better. 2nd gen is also easier and arguably more fun to ride at most people's pace at a track day (it's also more forgiving).

I would only worry about 08+ if you plan on racing and even then the difference is not massive versus the 2nd gen.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
'03/04 and the '06+ 'S' model are known for being one of the greatest sportbike platforms ever. And the ergos are just tame enough to make it a pretty good street bike. I commuted on an '03 for about 5 years. Put a ton of time and miles on it. And a bunch of track days.

'05 has slightly better brakes and slightly bigger throttle bodies, but not as good front-end feel. I race one of them. The difference between it and the '03/04 is very small.

'06/'07 got a major face lift. These are the years known for having the worst mid-range, and the twitchiest steering. But higher peak HP than the previous gen. Ergonomics got super aggressive, making it a terrible bike for the street. I haven't ridden the 3rd gen - so this is word-of-mouth / spec sheet stuff.

'08 - They tamed the steering geometry a little, and added the variable length intake stuff to bring the mid-range back to nearly match the 2nd gen, but keeps the peak hp from the '06/07.

'09+ Identical to the '08, but with greater ECU and exhaust restrictions for legal stuff. Flashing the ECU + removing the catalytic converter makes any of them pretty much identical to the '08.

tl;dr advice - Get which ever one you think is prettiest. If you're just going to cruise around the twisties for an afternoon here and there, you're not going to notice any of these differences. If you're going to put lots of miles on it, get a 2nd gen. If you want to eventually race competitively, get an '08+.

·
Vroom Vroom!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you to everyone who responded. You are all very knowledgeable riders! :toocool: I do believe the 3rd Gens are the prettiest. So I'm very interested in them as far as looks. As far as the comfort, that is kind of questionable. However if I love the bike enough, I could definitely put up with some soreness:lmao As with my cbr f4 it's also not too comfortable, which I don't expect any sport bike to feel like a goldwing haha. I think I'm going to have to go with a 3rd Gen though guys, I don't put an awful lot of miles on, I like to go out after work and on weekends and hit up the twistes to relieve some stress haha. So yeah, thank you all again for the help you guys are awesome! Ride safe everyone!!

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
It's that time of year again... Where newbies join and ask questions that are literally everywhere (even in my sig, or stickied at the top of forums, for instance) and just hope for an answer because they're too lazy to look around for 5 seconds. It's like clockwork.

Next up-- what's your top speed? Which exhaust is best? Why the 2 brothers hate? Why are helmets so expensive? What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s (oops, that was this thread)?

..and then the inevitable "crap, I crashed. How do I fix this?" and possibly "Stupid cop gave me a ticket" which will hopefully be followed up by "FS: 2003 R6 with tons of mods, MUST GO"

Enjoy your stay, however brief it may be.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
It's that time of year again... Where newbies join and ask questions that are literally everywhere (even in my sig, or stickied at the top of forums, for instance) and just hope for an answer because they're too lazy to look around for 5 seconds. It's like clockwork.

Next up-- what's your top speed? Which exhaust is best? Why the 2 brothers hate? Why are helmets so expensive? What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s (oops, that was this thread)?

..and then the inevitable "crap, I crashed. How do I fix this?" and possibly "Stupid cop gave me a ticket" which will hopefully be followed up by "FS: 2003 R6 with tons of mods, MUST GO"

·
Premium Member
35,476 Posts

Lol, how would he know to look at your sig if he hasn't seen any of your posts yet? Can't expect everyone (or anyone) to pay attention to your sig ;)

·
Vroom Vroom!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha yeah, I'm sorry with such a newbie question man. I understand it is a quite common question now that I've been looking on here... I should have looked first, but like I said, I'm completely new, I don't know how to navigate this site completely yet. So I figured I'd ask my own question. Again, I know it's newbie haha, but I didn't mean it to come off like that. Anyway I'm gonna go with a 3rd Gen. Just waiting for the winter to break here :thumbdown And I did read the thread explaining the difference between the r6 and r6s just now. It was helpful, like everything else I've been seeing on this site. So thank you for sharing that, and sorry about the such newbie question. Ride on!

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Lol, how would he know to look at your sig if he hasn't seen any of your posts yet? Can't expect everyone (or anyone) to pay attention to your sig ;)
Everything important has a sticky, smart ass.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts