Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Happy go Lucky Guy
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Thank you for your assistance, I just acquired a 2007 R6 with 2208 miles,

few questions, when should I change my oil and oil filter? (maybe at 4000 miles?)

Also bike came with stock tires and I wanted to check how much air pressure I need ?

Thank you! :bow

·
Avid Enthusiast
7,408 Posts
If you don't know when it was last done I'd say do it now to play it safe. The recommended tire pressure should be on a sticker on the swing arm, left side.

·
Happy go Lucky Guy
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger Roger, are there any online guides towards helping me change my oil ? (complete noob)
btw mine is also Charcoal Gray =)

·
what?
906 Posts
did the bike come with a users manual? There's a lot of good information in there...

·
Happy go Lucky Guy
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did the bike come with a users manual? There's a lot of good information in there...
Awesome Thanks! what else should I do besides an Oil change ??
(tires are good)
Thank you

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
lube the chain and check to see if it needs adjustment

·
Happy go Lucky Guy
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lube the chain and check to see if it needs adjustment
How would I determine if it needs adjustment ?
and may I just lube the chain every certain other time just to make sure ?

Thank you!

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
oil change is straight forward - and easy to eff up.
Run the bike for a few minutes before changing the oil. If you don't know what in there (mineral, synth, semi etc) it's good to use oil cleaner first, then run the engine for a few minutes. Careful when you drain, oil is hot now.

Clean the drain plug before you replace it, and use a new washer as mentioned above. I clean the plug with carb cleaner or engine degreaser, then I put a dab of fresh grease on the treads and let it sit for a couple of minutes before removing the excess. This will keep it from getting too tight during heat expansion, and keep you from striping it when you have to remove it next time.

Make sure you HAND TIGHTEN both the filter and drain plug. I then do a 1/4-1/2 turn on the bolt with tools, but filter stay hand tightened, just make it tight!

Most of the maintenance that you do on your bike with me straight forward, but do it with care and she'll take care of you, don't rush it, and keep things clean. If you run into trouble, stop for a few minutes, have a smoke or a beer or whatever, then come at it fresh. Getting pissed and frustrated is what leads to "I stripped my oil pan, what to do now" threads.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
How would I determine if it needs adjustment ?
and may I just lube the chain every certain other time just to make sure ?

Thank you!
Check the r6messagenet fir your user manual, it'll tell you how to check your chain, but basically you need about 1.25 inch minimum of slack. I keep mine at 4cm (about 1.75 inches). Be best to check the manual cause it'll take too long to explain how to tension the chain if needed.

CLEAN your chain before you lube it.

When you go to buy lube, you'll find cleaner right next to it on the shelf. Clean it (I use some dish brushes - the kind for washing champagne flukes) then take a 5 minute ride, then lube up (sparingly, too much will get messy). If you don't take that ride, you'll lube a cold chain and then you'll have lube splatter on your undertail and clothes; that's from experience.

As for when to lube and tension, I lube my chain every 600-700km, which is also when I wash the bike, works out about every week or so, give or take a couple days, but for me 700km is the most I go without lubing unless on a road trip.
I check my chain tension every time I lube, but I usually adjust it when I change my oil (every 4000km).

Hope the info helps. Find your user manual, it'll be useful.

·
Happy go Lucky Guy
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it was serviced at 500 miles (Yamaha dealer) I hope they use good oil bike only has 2200 miles btw thanks for the detailed info in regards for not over tightening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts