Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
My R6 eats you.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. just bought a 2007 R6S with 5500 on it saturday. runs great, looks great..is great. this is my first streetbike and i have some questions.

it has a integrated tailight kit ( i dont know what brand ). the brake light works fine, but the blinkers dont. BUT they DO work up front. im pretty mechanicly inclined..but im wiring retarted. any ideas?

SECOND...cold, AND at operating temp it idles around 2 grand. im not sure, i dont know what normal idle speed is, but it feels like and sounds like that is on the high side..also..the motor kind of "hunts" and varys RPM's but very slightly.

thanks a ton in advance. if this isnt posted in the right place, please let me know. thanks!!

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
If your tail light blinkers don't work... either they're not hooked up (which is a piece of cake) or the guy selling it to you lied to you and you don't actually have one.

Your operating temp is normal until it gets up to temp (~130*F) but your bike can be tweaked by the little knob on your right side... someone's got a picture somewhere, I'm too lazy to dig it up.

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
right behing the fairing on the right side is the idle screw. play with that to get your idle right. i have mine at about 1250(i think)

and as for the intergrated tail, take apart the tail to see if theres any loose wires hanging, i dont see why someone would install an intergrated taillight and NOT hook up the blinkers, so my guess is that its not intergrated.

oh and WELCOME!

·
My R6 eats you.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the fact that its idling high just means its...idling high? there isnt anything wrong?

regarding the tailkit..NJALLDAY i think your right..that would just be blatantly stupid. SOOO..looks like i got hoe'd on that one. but thats ok. anybody know how much a good kit would cost? and what discerns good and bad?

thanks again, helpful answers and quick responds! nice!

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
so the fact that its idling high just means its...idling high? there isnt anything wrong?

regarding the tailkit..NJALLDAY i think your right..that would just be blatantly stupid. SOOO..looks like i got hoe'd on that one. but thats ok. anybody know how much a good kit would cost? and what discerns good and bad?

thanks again, helpful answers and quick responds! nice!
just turn the screw first and get it down where it needs to be, i doubt theres any other issues

if i were you id go with the motodynamic. its my favorite ill be ordering it soon for my 2nd gen

http://www.motodynamic.com/index.php?cPath=5_6_37&osCsid=kqjk4vndhm7u7jp5ctmh4h7q02

·
My R6 eats you.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice. that should be done at operating temp correct?

and ill check that site out/order one.

also, (this may be off-topic) any suggestions on a nice somewhat cheap exhaust to replace the stock scuba tank? lol! i did some reseach on Level One Racing..the two.six.zero model. Looks nice, sounds pretty good. but ive been seeing things about a bouncing idle when its installed? especially without the DBkiller baffle installed.

any opinions?
thanks.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
nice. that should be done at operating temp correct?

and ill check that site out/order one.

also, (this may be off-topic) any suggestions on a nice somewhat cheap exhaust to replace the stock scuba tank? lol! i did some reseach on Level One Racing..the two.six.zero model. Looks nice, sounds pretty good. but ive been seeing things about a bouncing idle when its installed? especially without the DBkiller baffle installed.

any opinions?
thanks.

Tweak your idle after it's warm-- it's always going to idle high when it's cold.

Beware though: When you tweak your idle, you're going to have to remember that if you ever get it tuned. I turned my idle up and when I had my 2004 tuned the Wide Open Throttle (WOT) was at 130%... So that'll need to be adjusted. Once you get your idle where you want it, LEAVE IT.

I was in the same boat as you are when I had the 2004 man.. Hated that exhaust. Let me tell you though, exhaust is a slippery slope. You get a full exhaust (or a slip-on, which on that bike is basically the same thing) then you need a power commander.. then you need a tune. Then you might as well get an air filter. Before you know it you've spent WAY more than you wanted to.

A cheap alternative is to drill out the rivets that hold the end of the stock can on, then take a hacksaw to the muffler (down to where it mounts to the rear peg) then put the rivets back in. You just cut a bunch of weight, it looks better and sounds better. Mostly free.

EDIT: and post pictures!

·
My R6 eats you.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome, just went out to the garage and dink'd with the idle, got it exactly where i want it.

on this devloping exhaust topic...ive heard that before. i was hoping it was just talk! a power commander is pretty much just a programmer right? if i DO end up getting a aftermarket can, will it run like total dog..poo if i DONT get a PC? or does it just depend on the bike? im new to this computer stuff..

PS: i definetly dont have a underkit. but i ordered one from motodynamic.com!! thanks for the tip.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
awesome, just went out to the garage and dink'd with the idle, got it exactly where i want it.

on this devloping exhaust topic...ive heard that before. i was hoping it was just talk! a power commander is pretty much just a programmer right? if i DO end up getting a aftermarket can, will it run like total dog..poo if i DONT get a PC? or does it just depend on the bike? im new to this computer stuff..

PS: i definetly dont have a underkit. but i ordered one from motodynamic.com!! thanks for the tip.

Your bike has straight headers to the muffler, so if you get a slip-on it's almost like a full system.. The newer generation (like the one I have-- same year, different body style.. Explained more HERE ) has honeycombs in the headers, as well as a catalytic converter AND a muffler.. so a slip-on on one of those won't do jack.

If you run your bike with a slip-on you'll be OK.. but I wouldn't recommend it, and in the long term it could be damaging. A Power Commander is a fuel controller, and the PC3 is the model that fits your bike (although I've heard of some people making a PC5 fit, but I don't know about that one..). They can be found here or on the WERA FORUM usually for $200 or less, but make sure it's for YOUR BIKE (WERA caters to all different kinds of bikes).

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

....whew. That was one of the most informative posts I've written in a LONG time. I even updated the R1 forum thread so the pictures still work. Along with the hyperlinking to everywhere... MAN! Pat on the back for me. :laugh

·
My R6 eats you.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well first off. thank you sir for taking time and looking up all of this confusing and enlightening information for this helpless information SPONGE!!! much obliged and greatly appreciated!

im sure this is already well known to you, and i am quite possibly going to sound condescending (but i DO NOT!!! mean it like so..) but, i have a R6S. i dont know where, but i have read that even though it is a 2007 model year...they are the same as the..03's? maybe? (in body styling, dont know 'bout engine specifications)

SOOO...with that said...does all of the above apply to muah? conserning the following.."honeycombs in the headers, as well as a catalytic converter AND a muffler.. so a slip-on on one of those won't do jack."
and i guess also the PC3???

AGAIN i am going to say THANKS A MILLION. for i may as well be a small child listening to the words of EXPERIENCED WISDOM! (if at any point these redundant unrelenting questions become annoy or to much to handle..please do not hesitate to cease and desist!!!!! because you have already been a massive help.)

I just looked at that link to the other thread to posted about the different model years, currently reading it and it is answering some of these questions! sorry i didnt do that first!

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Well first off. thank you sir for taking time and looking up all of this confusing and enlightening information for this helpless information SPONGE!!! much obliged and greatly appreciated!

im sure this is already well known to you, and i am quite possibly going to sound condescending (but i DO NOT!!! mean it like so..) but, i have a R6S. i dont know where, but i have read that even though it is a 2007 model year...they are the same as the..03's? maybe? (in body styling, dont know 'bout engine specifications)

SOOO...with that said...does all of the above apply to muah? conserning the following.."honeycombs in the headers, as well as a catalytic converter AND a muffler.. so a slip-on on one of those won't do jack."
and i guess also the PC3???

AGAIN i am going to say THANKS A MILLION. for i may as well be a small child listening to the words of EXPERIENCED WISDOM! (if at any point these redundant unrelenting questions become annoy or to much to handle..please do not hesitate to cease and desist!!!!! because you have already been a massive help.)

I just looked at that link to the other thread to posted about the different model years, currently reading it and it is answering some of these questions! sorry i didnt do that first!

Money. I was just gonna suggest you take a look at that thread. The pictures work again too! :YEA

You're correct though, you have the "S", which is indeed pretty much the 03/04 bike-- so the honeycombs/catalytic converter/muffler talk isn't about your bike (but everything else is, so a PC3 is your best bet).. But knowing more about the R6, even if you don't have that bike is never a bad thing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. You're not bragging about how gear weighs you down, or about how fast your bike can go so I don't have a problem helping you out. :laugh

EDIT: you have some gear, right?

ALSO: post pictures of that baby!

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Money. I was just gonna suggest you take a look at that thread. The pictures work again too! :YEA

You're correct though, you have the "S", which is indeed pretty much the 03/04 bike-- so the honeycombs/catalytic converter/muffler talk isn't about your bike (but everything else is, so a PC3 is your best bet).. But knowing more about the R6, even if you don't have that bike is never a bad thing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. You're not bragging about how gear weighs you down, or about how fast your bike can go so I don't have a problem helping you out. :laugh

EDIT: you have some gear, right?

ALSO: post pictures of that baby!
Yeah, holy shit, A NOOB that actually has his head screwed on straight... I pray he has gear... But these are legit questions... Some guys will bash you too bro, but there's some good guys willing to help, like this gentleman, and myself... We def need some pics of your new bike tho brutha! Kind of a right of passage... Post um up!

:YEA

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
A cheap alternative is to drill out the rivets that hold the end of the stock can on, then take a hacksaw to the muffler (down to where it mounts to the rear peg) then put the rivets back in. You just cut a bunch of weight, it looks better and sounds better. Mostly free.

EDIT: and post pictures!
+1 on the pics

Also, if you wanna shorten the can and don't feel comfortable cutting it, you can bring it to a machine shop or somewhere and they have sweet ban saw like cutters, etc that do a perfect job. That's what a few of my boys did

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
+1 on the pics

Also, if you wanna shorten the can and don't feel comfortable cutting it, you can bring it to a machine shop or somewhere and they have sweet ban saw like cutters, etc that do a perfect job. That's what a few of my boys did
:werd

for a lot less than a PowerCommander + exhaust + tune + air filter +smog block off plates (forgot about that one) will cost you.

Smog block-off plates are something else you'll wanna do (with an exhaust)... Trust me, it's really not worth it.

If you REALLY feel like you want some more get-up-and-go then change the sprocket sizes.. That'll wake you up.

·
My R6 eats you.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
lol, alright to kick it off here...

I DO have gear..if you call my dads old Harley jacket and ASSLESS CHAPS GEAR!!!

(Just kidding about the chaps. not uh, really my thing. :D)

Ive been searching craigslist/searchtempest like a fiend to find a jacket that matches my bike..no dice yet. Oh, and the guy i bought it from was nice enough to throw in a old Joe Rocket skid lid in with the bike. it was missing a cheekpad, but i got one ordered and on the way.

tell you guys the truth..ive only rode the damn thing once!!! and that was the ride home last saturday from where i bought it! WTF right? Well here in grand 'ol Michigan its been COLD and RAINING!!! man i LOVE this place! :thumbdown

about the exhaust...this sounds like a nice "project" for the Michigan hibernation period!! aka..winter. I dont know though, i usually dont like messing with stock stuff..always seems to end bad for me LOL. IDK, we'll see. ill definetly keep you brochaco's up to date though.

im gonna try to post some pic's..dont really know how, but im gonna wing it!

i think thats it!
thanks again guys, your making this whole NOOBIE issue a little more bearable!

PS: if those pictures worked check out the one of the rear of the bike. so if that is NOT a undertail kit..that means some jagon took off the rear blinkers and licence plate assembly? :mad:

pickpocket: the fastest two wheel vehicle ive rode sence now was a YZF450! and that pales in comparison to the R6! i dont need it to be any faster....for now!

Attachments

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
The bike looks good!

Search on forums for good gear too.. Winter blows, get a set of rear (at the very least) and front stands (along with swingarm spools) to store over the winter so your tires don't get flat spots... Mine is already up on stands, I feel your pain. :(

(T-rex is a popular, low-cost and dependable stand manufacturer, FYI)

Also-- Black matches everything. Don't bother with a textile jacket, get leather.. Dainese is top of the line (but a tad spendy unless you can find a good deal on some used stuff, which is what I did).

What you have under the tail is definitely not stock..

ALSO: Cheap and easy mods that are absolute necessities for us (that you need to do) are:

1) remove reflectors from front forks (free)
2) ditch the 1st gen R6 decals (unless you like them, I guess...)
3) remove shrek-ear turn signals and install some flush-mounts (Proton is a favorite brand around here).
4) Your tires look stock.. They're fine for winter, but after 5500 miles and 4 years they're probably getting down there, and you DEFINITELY don't wanna do anything hardcore on them (they suck). So some time when you have the coin, invest in a set of tires.

Welcome aboard. :cheers

·
My R6 eats you.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
"3) remove shrek-ear turn signals".....HAHAHA. its funny cause its true!

about the stupid cartoon decals..whats your advice on getting them off?

will definetly check the forum for gear. and definetly get leather.

winter storage..what if im gonna roll this hoss into the basement? (which is a finished michigan basement.)

i HAVE to ask about washing it, im obsessed with keeping my shiney things clean...and shining!
any advice on that one?
i might die if i scratch it.
should i hand-wax it?

...this is so off topic its hilarious

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
"3) remove shrek-ear turn signals".....HAHAHA. its funny cause its true!

about the stupid cartoon decals..whats your advice on getting them off?

If they're clear-coated over (which I doubt) then you might have some issues, but if they're not then you should be able to hit them with a hair drier and just peel them off. They're just stickers.

will definetly check the forum for gear. and definetly get leather.

winter storage..what if im gonna roll this hoss into the basement? (which is a finished michigan basement.)

The problem isn't WHERE you store it, it's the fact that it's stored period.. Sitting for 4 months in one spot will make a flat spot in your tires. Stands are cheap, and if you ever do any maintenance (which is mostly all a piece of cake) you'll need them. Might as well be now.

i HAVE to ask about washing it, im obsessed with keeping my shiney things clean...and shining!
any advice on that one?
i might die if i scratch it.
should i hand-wax it?

I was in the same boat as you man-- Solution: get a bunch of micro-fiber towels, then some "Plexus" plastic cleaner and some "Maxima SC-1" clear coat. Spray on Plexus, scrub, spray on SC-1, let dry, wipe off... brand new bike. Plus there's no waxing and no water.

...this is so off topic its hilarious
I'm in the bold. Also VVVVV

While you're getting your cleaning supplies and stands you might as well get a can of chain lube while you're at it, and a chain cleaning brush (called a grunge brush). These are all very inexpensive, but they're things you're going to want.

:hug

·
My R6 eats you.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
decals are NOT clear coated over..just peeled a corner up with my finger nail.

do you know if stands are sold at any bigger autoparts chains? such as Murray's or Oreilys? i know all of that cleaning stuff is, so it woud be nice to get it all in one sweep.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts