Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Where Am I?
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up another R6 after not having one for a few years. I picked up a 2003 R6 with 8k miles on it. I did change the brake fluid, coolant, and oil/filter. I also will be getting new tires as the ones currently on there are the original ones from 2003 :/ My question is what else would you suggest checking?

My only real concern is the chain because it is dirty but looks like it should clean up nicely.

Anything else that you can think of to change/replace/look at?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
I just picked up another R6 after not having one for a few years. I picked up a 2003 R6 with 8k miles on it. I did change the brake fluid, coolant, and oil/filter. I also will be getting new tires as the ones currently on there are the original ones from 2003 :/ My question is what else would you suggest checking?

My only real concern is the chain because it is dirty but looks like it should clean up nicely.

Anything else that you can think of to change/replace/look at?
When you clean the chain, make sure it doesn't have any stiff links. Check the sprockets for wear too.

When you have the wheels off to do the tires, check the wheel bearings.

It might be worth checking the spark plug gap and cleaning your air filter, but it depends on how much you want to do. At 8k, it's probably a little early for that.

·
Where Am I?
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you clean the chain, make sure it doesn't have any stiff links. Check the sprockets for wear too.

When you have the wheels off to do the tires, check the wheel bearings.

It might be worth checking the spark plug gap and cleaning your air filter, but it depends on how much you want to do. At 8k, it's probably a little early for that.
Thanks! I am going to scrub the chain when my rearstands and spools come in. It looks pretty thick and gunky on there. I just checked the air filter today. It has 8k miles on it and looked a little dirty. I may just purchase a new filter for it. What would I look for in the wheel bearings when I pull the wheels? Thanks again for your help!

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Thanks! I am going to scrub the chain when my rearstands and spools come in. It looks pretty thick and gunky on there. I just checked the air filter today. It has 8k miles on it and looked a little dirty. I may just purchase a new filter for it. What would I look for in the wheel bearings when I pull the wheels? Thanks again for your help!
Just make sure they spin smoothly and relatively easily. If they seem stuck, or they feel like they grind when you roll them, it's worth replacing them. There should be 5 total: 1 in each side of the front wheel, 1 in each side of the rear wheel, and 1 in the cush drive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts