Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Been looking around the site , some amazing information i must say.

I have a 2000 - 01 Yamaha R6 in blue.

However i bought it with a bit of a problem , i have tried to search on here but nothing that its similar with.

Starts now and again , mainly when cold and on the choke. However as soon as i try to ride off it'll cut off ( yes choke is off by this time ) , if it doesnt cut off , it'll drop revs and you are basically pulling the throttle WOT to keep it from stalling.

Not sure if its relevant however it jumps out of gear in second around 6,000rpm.

Will have a look around and any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Hello All,

Been looking around the site , some amazing information i must say.

I have a 2000 - 01 Yamaha R6 in blue.

However i bought it with a bit of a problem , i have tried to search on here but nothing that its similar with.

Starts now and again , mainly when cold and on the choke. However as soon as i try to ride off it'll cut off ( yes choke is off by this time ) , if it doesnt cut off , it'll drop revs and you are basically pulling the throttle WOT to keep it from stalling.

Not sure if its relevant however it jumps out of gear in second around 6,000rpm.

Will have a look around and any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Jumping out of 2nd gear isn't good at all.. That's usually an indication that the gearbox is shot. The early models are well known for the issue you are describing. Generally 2nd and 6th gear needs replacing. The motor has to come out and the case must be split in half, etc..

Regarding the bogging out you mention, and the bike only running on the choke.. I'd start by pulling off the carbs and cleaning em out. the link to my 02 thread in my signature has some info on how to do it, etc.. When the choke is on, the bike is being given lots of extra fuel to keep it running. By cutting the choke and stalling, it sounds like your pilot jets are clogged and not delivering the needed fuel at idle and low RPMS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts