Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say whats up, I have loved the Yamaha bikes all my life, my buddy just sold his 01 Ducati 900SS for his 04 Red R1 and I said I have had enough and and am buying a 00-02 R6 (blue and white). If there is anything I should look out for or be carefull of please let me know :). I am signing up for two bike saftey and riding classes since I have never ridden before. I was going to go with a smaller bike but everyone I know that rides told me I am mature enough to handle a R6 as a first bike. The dealer asked me if I wanted a 04 R1 and I just laughed at them :D. I could get a 04 R6 for 8k with warr. but I could also get a 01 with 2k miles for $4,500. Everyone I asked said that since I am still in college that I should just save the money and go with a 00-02 that has been well taken care of. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
sounds like you and your friends have some reasonable thoughts amongst all of you. i think you will find that an 00-02 R6 is a great bike. alot of them on this forum. easy to turn up the performance on them down the road when you are ready. I think they only spot to really keep an eye on those bikes is the tranny but I'll let those who own one fill you in better. Oh, and also take the seat off and check the battery. Those ones have a history of leakage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, right now about half the people on the web are saying its to much of a bike for a first bike but the other half that I would ride with say just practice riding in your subdivision and make your way to the street. One of the classes I am taking gives you a bike there to drop all you want. I am siding more with the guys I will be riding with, they started on R6's and have never droped a bike. Thanks for the info on the trans and battery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My '03 R6 is my first bike, and I never had any problems riding it... Just show it the respect it deserves and you should be fine :cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
R6 it is!!!!!!!!! :hump

I am hoping to find a 00+ for around 5k in great condition.

Are bikes pretty much like cars were you can tell alot about how the bike has been driven by the condition of the spark plugs and oil and all that or is it different?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts