Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, all.

Just thought I'd make an intro to the community. I've been browsing these forms for weeks now and I figured I should just sign up and join in!

A little about myself: I've been riding bikes off and on since about 2004. I took a good long break after I had my son in 2010 since the wife had an abnormal fear of motorcycles in general.

Fast forward 8 years, I see a good friend is selling his '14 CBR1000RR for a stupid price and I buy it without permission. After a few nights on the couch the wife says "buy me a lid and jacket so I can come". After a few rides she says "I don't feel in control, let's buy me a bike". And she's hooked now!

Last year I picked up the green ZX6R in my avatar, fixed, painted and tracked it, since I didn't want to risk my minty condition CBR on the track anymore. It was fun, but older and I wanted an upgrade.

A friend crashed her '08 R6 in July and asked if I wanted to buy it from the insurance company for a great price. She rode it like a lady and didn't ever bag it. So here I am, looking for track parts and advice on this mechanically sound machine!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good question. Mine was written off as vandalized for a 1 inch hole in the front fairing and a dent in the fuel tank. May well have been intentional because there’s not a scratch on the bike otherwise, 5200 miles. I’m stumped. But happy 💪🏿

·
LHRB
106 Posts
Nice, well if nothing is busted. What is your build theme?

You said track specific, so start by figuring out if you want to remove the lights, mirrors, and get track body work.

New tires

New wheels?

Suspension upgrades?

Remove those rear pegs

Aftermarket exhaust and dyno tune the engine?

Upgrade the braking system?

Endless...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was damaged that the insurance company is writing it off?
Just the plastics and a frame slider busted off on the street sign she almost avoided. I think there was enough damage to the plastics that with labor, it was just over the value they were willing pay out. I've rode it on the track twice now as a naked bike and it's been great.

After the accident

First day at the track

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, well if nothing is busted. What is your build theme?

You said track specific, so start by figuring out if you want to remove the lights, mirrors, and get track body work.

New tires

New wheels?

Suspension upgrades?

Remove those rear pegs

Aftermarket exhaust and dyno tune the engine?

Upgrade the braking system?

Endless...
For now, just some basics. But yeah, it's going to be track specific. So race plastics, remove all the street stuff that's not needed. Manual cam chain tensioner, case savers, block off plates, intake, exhaust and steering dampner.

I had the local suspension guy work his magic on the factory suspension this weekend. It's fine for now. Brakes are surprisingly good for a factory set up, so I'll run those for the time being. I already swapped the levers and have new pegs to coming for the last session of the season since one was broken. Brake lever guards showed up yesterday. Eventually I get some new rearsets.

This is my first bottom up build. So it's going to be a learning experience in a lot of ways. I bought my Kawi already set up and ready to go. It just needed some body work and minor repairs done to it. My plan was to race this year, but CV19 effed that up and the school I was booked into was postponed to a weekend that I wasn't available. Maybe next year. Or, I'll just do all the track days and some schools and call it good.

All that being said, any advice on 'must have mods' are more than welcome!

·
LHRB
106 Posts
As you said, the bike is very capable from the factory, especially now that you took care of the suspension.

Steering damper is a good place to start. I went the GPR V4 route.

Quickshifter makes track work more efficient.

If you just swapped the levers, excellent. If you go for an aftermarket perch as well you need a plan for the clutch safety switch. Leaving it open will affect the fueling and keep you in neutral map.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yup, just the levers for now. I couldn't stand how long the pull was on the factory clutch lever. I'll leave the rest of the system alone for now, since I don't feel like I'm hitting the limitations of the stock system yet. I have lots of room to grow skill-wise before I get there.

I've read quite a bit about that damper. I was also considering the Ohlins one too. I think that'll come down to what one I find a better deal on. I'm not really in a hurry and can wait for used deals or sales right now. But I feel like it's something I need sooner than later. I was getting a wobble out of corner 2 almost every time once I figured the line out well enough I could carry some good speed out of it.

I'd love a quick shifter too, but that's not a must have to me right now. Making it crash-able and more stable are my priorites 😜. I think a variable rate throttle is in the cards for next season as well!

Anything else you'd suggest as a must do?
Preferences on rear sets?

·
LHRB
106 Posts
I actually really like the stock rear sets. They fit me well, but absolutely change them if the ergonomics are not perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, after a couple days on them I'm not feeling like they're lacking. But I did prefer the rounded style of my old ones from my ZX6R, so eventually I'll get something like that again (as in when I crash and need new ones anyway😅). But for now the stock ones are perfectly serviceable.

·
LHRB
106 Posts
Highly recommend avoiding crashing!

The best investment is skill development. I always remind myself of that after I blow serious coin on bike upgrades ... key word AFTER.

Track schools and private coaching to reduce crashing to an absolute minimum. No reason at all to ever crash on a track day.

If you are a paid racer, maybe you need to push to the very edge of performance, but stay on that bike if you are doing it for fun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL that's probably the best advice I could get! It's all for fun and there's no money in it. Quite the opposite, in fact! But, sh!t does happen and mistakes are made. I just want to be prepared for that. But for now, this bike has lots to show me and I don't feel the need to spend big money on upgrades when I haven't reached it's potential so far.

It's like golf. You can have a $3k set of clubs and $10 balls, but you'll still suck without training and practice. That's where I need to spend the time and money ;)

·
Registered
2011 R6 Race Bike
118 Posts
What tracks do you run? I will be at Barber this weekend and I have a wrecked Hotbodies set of fairings that I would let go cheap...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man that would be perfect! Unfortunately, I'm in Alberta, Canada and that would be a pretty long drive!

It's already getting cold here too. Morning lows of around 5°C (41°F), so track days are coming to an end soon....

Thanks for the offer though(y)

·
Registered
2011 R6 Race Bike
118 Posts
No worries man. Finding 08+ R6 race parts wont be a problem... Next time your in the paddock, just ask around and someone there will have a lead on a body or whatever else you may need.

Good luck to ya man, you have the perfect track bike!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you good sir!

I already had a few guys come up and chat about parts and such and they said if I'm patient I could build it pretty cheap buying used parts and such.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Highly recommend avoiding crashing!

The best investment is skill development. I always remind myself of that after I blow serious coin on bike upgrades ... key word AFTER.

Track schools and private coaching to reduce crashing to an absolute minimum. No reason at all to ever crash on a track day.

If you are a paid racer, maybe you need to push to the very edge of performance, but stay on that bike if you are doing it for fun!
THIS!! Everything you just said! I'm a coach with the California Superbike School and this is what I suggest to riders all the time, is to get training first and then work on upgrades! When I first started racing and doing track days I had a STOCK SV 650 and invested my sponsorship dollars into taking all four levels of the Superbike School which helped my riding more than anything. I won our local championship on that same STOCK SV650 :)

If you have any questions about the Superbike School or other training options then please let me know! I'm a fellow Canadian and have raced across Canada and the USA and write two masterclass columns for different magazines on technique and training- i love to help people with riding skills!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THIS!! Everything you just said! I'm a coach with the California Superbike School and this is what I suggest to riders all the time, is to get training first and then work on upgrades! When I first started racing and doing track days I had a STOCK SV 650 and invested my sponsorship dollars into taking all four levels of the Superbike School which helped my riding more than anything. I won our local championship on that same STOCK SV650 :)

If you have any questions about the Superbike School or other training options then please let me know! I'm a fellow Canadian and have raced across Canada and the USA and write two masterclass columns for different magazines on technique and training- i love to help people with riding skills!!

Thanks for the great advice! I'm definitely looking at schools more than upgrades right now.

I would love to attend one of your sessions next year! I was actually looking at pricing and tracks last week. If things are going well with work in the spring I may just jump on a plane and attend.

My buddy went to one a few years ago and he said it was the best thing he's done to improve his skills. Not to mention he got to ride Laguna Seca (which is 1000x better than anything around us).

Do you reccomend any schools in Western Canada, in case I can't make it to the US for a class?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the great advice! I'm definitely looking at schools more than upgrades right now.

I would love to attend one of your sessions next year! I was actually looking at pricing and tracks last week. If things are going well with work in the spring I may just jump on a plane and attend.

My buddy went to one a few years ago and he said it was the best thing he's done to improve his skills. Not to mention he got to ride Laguna Seca (which is 1000x better than anything around us).

Do you reccomend any schools in Western Canada, in case I can't make it to the US for a class?
Wooohoooo!! If you can do it, DO IT!!! I was a student at all four levels of CSS before I became a coach and it was amazing. I'm lucky to have been working for them for the past 15 + years, and I can guarantee that you will enjoy it and learn a ton as well.

What tracks were you thinking of?

Unfortunately, there aren't many riding schools in Western Canada. I'm in Vancouver and there really isn't much that compares so I'd suggest waiting and saving your $$! Unfortunately, I've not been able to do ANY work with the school this year due to the borders being closed and stupid COVID :(. I'm seriously missing coaching and riding and I cannot wait to get back to it. Maybe I'll see you there!

Let me know if you have any more questions about the school or any of the techniques we teach or any of the tracks we visit. I love talking about riding, skills, techniques, racing...you name it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Misti!

I actually was telling my buddy about talking to you on here and it turns out that you coached him when he was at Laguna in 2017. He had nothing but great things to say about you and the school!

If I could pick any track it would probably be Laguna Seca, but The Ridge looks pretty sweet too. I think it'll come down to what's the most economical when I eventually do get there!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts