Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Loki_R6_08
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on guys I am new to the forum i just bought a 2008 R6 about a month ago. Awesome bike. Any way I want to get a new helmet the one I have is a HJC that cost me like 100 bucks. The guy at the local store said that the cheap HJC helmets are no good and that I should spend the 300 dollars and get a lighter/stronger helmet. So is the guy just trying to get me to spend more or is it really worth spending 300 on a helmet.

·
Atom Smasher
861 Posts
Do you enjoy being able to feed yourself?

If you have to, cheap out on gloves, boots, jacket, whatever. Make sure you have a top notch lid.

Have you seen anybody in MotoGP or World superbike with the same lid as you?
That should be a good indicator of quality of your helmet.

·
Loki_R6_08
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any suggestions? I know that in general Arai and Shoei have pretty good reputations any others to check out?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i just picked up a AGV gp-tech (the same model that Rossi wears at "the big time"... but different graphics). had an HJC since '99. i've always hated it but have been too cheap to buy another one. now i'm married and have two kids, and i can live without a hand or a leg or even an arm... not so much without a head.

good brands:

ARAI
SHOEI
SUOMY (sp?)
AGV
SIMPSON (not bad, but developed for car drag racing but have been "fine tuned" for the bike scene)
some people say SCORPION (but i'm not sold as of yet)

just do some homework, and you'll figure it all out. scour the net too... b/c you CAN DEFINATELY find what you're looking for cheaper than at the stealership.

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
I've had Arai, Shoei, and Icon's out of them all the Shoei X-11 is just in another league.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 Shoei

Got a RF-1000.

I was just in your shoes, and I had a heck of a time figuring it out. I tried the HJC, Arai, Scorpion, Bell, and Shoei of course. Go with what fits your noggin (cranium) the best. All fill slightly different, so it is hard to buy off the internet site unseen, unless you got to the stealership and try the exact model first. :)

The RF-1000 has venting in the back of the head, with a cool "spoiler" thingy. It is fairly light, shields snap on and off with ease, no tools.

COLOR: I was just about to get a black helmet, cause it is cheap and looks COOL. But I want visibility out there on the road, dark or night, that is why I was going to get a white or yellow solid colored one. But then I saw my red black and white one and splurged... :sing

Some people are OK with just DOT rated, but others want Snell rated helmets too. I am of those that suggest the later. Good luck!

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
I have a Suomy Spec 1R Extreme Cathedral, and have NO complaints at all. Great airflow, extremely light, and the graphics are insane.

·
2008 Raven R6
244 Posts
I'm going to get a lot of flack for this post, but...

I just bought a Sparx S-07 and it is in the top 10 for lightest helmets, it is DOT and ECE certified and is put together nicely. I like the materials, it is a VERY quiet helmet, and fits snugly. You can pick one up solid colors $94, designs $120 if you shop around.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/riders-gear/378599-anyone-try-sparx-helmet.html

And until someone can prove this article wrong, I will stand by my argument that a cheaper helmet can perform just as well as a more expensive helmet in terms of safety. You are paying for name, function, and utility on the more expensive helmets.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
I'm going to get a lot of flack for this post, but...

I just bought a Sparx S-07 and it is in the top 10 for lightest helmets, it is DOT and ECE certified and is put together nicely. I like the materials, it is a VERY quiet helmet, and fits snugly. You can pick one up solid colors $94, designs $120 if you shop around.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/riders-gear/378599-anyone-try-sparx-helmet.html

And until someone can prove this article wrong, I will stand by my argument that a cheaper helmet can perform just as well as a more expensive helmet in terms of safety. You are paying for name, function, and utility on the more expensive helmets.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html
i dont' think many people will argue with you on paying more for a name. we all know it... but that's not a bad thing b/c a good name means the company's been around for a while, and has satisfied MANY customers in their history of existence. as for paying more for function and utility, that's basically what separates a good helmet from a shit helmet. i bought what i bought b/c of the ratings, the company, the utility (what i needed it to do for me), etc. nothing wrong with cheap helmets, but HJC hasn't really done much to prove themselves in my opinion... been there, done that. and i've never heard of sparx or whatever, except some type of alcoholic energy drink thing my neighbor's kid drinks every now and then.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I have no complaints whatsoever about my Scorpion Exo-700 Crackhead

·
Registered
932 Posts
here's my .02 I can't put a value on my safety, especially my head.

·
Registered
113 Posts
True on the value of the helmet. I purchase a $125 helmet when I picked up my bike. Didn't know much about helmet at the time. I figure I just need on to practice on. Now I just put up $300 to buy an HJC carbon helmet. I've did my research and heard many good things about them. Plus the pro use it so......
Right now the weight of the helmet is a big problem for me. I do mostly freeway riding so 70 mph plus a heavy helmet is just not good for my neck.
Look into the HJC carbon. They rank on the top 10 lightest helmet so it should be good for weight.

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
I was just informed that the X-11 is the only GP used helmet that isn't modified for GP (besides a custom fit for the rider) but think about that, says something about the helmet doesn't it?:YEA

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
Hmm... I am skeptical.
I was talking to a guy at work about it, he was saying if you look most companies have added extra vents, or shaved off weight on the shell, he attended a SHOEI school so I would think he knows what he's talking about but he could be wrong, seems right though.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well Rossi wears AGV, that enough for me.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Well Rossi wears AGV, that enough for me.
:werd THE MAIN REASON why i first started looking at the AGV gp-tech helmet. and now i've got my "backorder" in the books... should have in in october. (plus i read that it vents like an f-in fan. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
so I'm also looking at helmets....i see a Suomy that I like. This helmets meet a "BSI 6658 Type A certified" standard (as well as dot, obviously). From what little bit I read, this seems better in some cases than a SNELL requirement.....anybody with thoughts or experience on this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts