Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys & gals - I'm new here, so thanks for having me! Looks like a great forum! I hate to make my first post a cry for help, but I really need some right now.

I'm working on getting a used '99 R6 working. I was having all kinds of fuel issues, so I disassembled the carbs, and found that a dynojet kit had apparently been installed, only incorrectly. Upon pulling the CV diaphrams, I found one needle was missing both shims (dynojet calls for 2 shims on each needle), another had them just floating loose in the diaphram assembly, which had somehow locked up the slide.

This is all no big deal... I can fix all this. But I'm a little confused over one thing. After seeing the mess that was made of those carbs, I first looked at a diagram of the carbs on RoyAyers, noting that they show the stock needle assembly containing the needle, a washer, and a spring (not the diaphram spring, but a spring between the head of the needle and the clip that secures the needle into the diaphram assembly). I then contacted dynojet, and asked them if the spring & washer were supposed to have been retained in their installation. They said yes. Granted, none of these parts exist on the bike I'm working on... just the dynojet needle, the e-ring, and 2 shim washers above the ring (on the carbs that had 'em).

HERE'S WHERE I REALLY GET CONFUSED...

I look in the factory service manual, and their diagrams of the carbs don't show or mention either the washer, nor the spring, that exist in the microfische on Ron Ayers :roll:

HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Could someone with this model bike please tell me whether this small spring and washer are present on stock carbs? And if so, what are their dimensions and placement on the needle. And for those of you that have installed dynojet kits, did you retain these parts (if they existed in the first place)?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
sorry dude...I am fuel injected, so I am of no help.

I am sure someone can help, it just takes time for the right person to see it

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
yoda said:
sorry dude...I am fuel injected, so I am of no help.

I am sure someone can help, it just takes time for the right person to see it
:stupic

#1 reason for a bumb.... you might be able to pick up a cheap set off fleaBay if needed... maybe a cool dealer would help you out..

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a 99 too. I have a jet kit but not sure the brand as it was on the bike when i got it. I have, however, changed my needle setting, granted it was last summer and i have slept since then, I don't remember there being any extra springs or washers on mine. I pulled the tops off, then the rubber booty thingy(thats the technical term) pulled the slides out and then the needle out of the slide, there was just the e-clip on the needle itself moved it where i needed to and then reasembled. Hope that helped. :cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boater... rubber booty things... ha ha :cheers: I think they're called 'slide diaphrams', but as long as we both know what we're talking about, who cares!

I don't know whether or not that helps me, but it might very well help you. Because although I'm not sure whether or not the springs need to be in there (I've got conflicting advice even from Dynojet itself on this one), in all the research I've done, just about every aftermarket jet kit uses washer shims above the e-clip. So, if those aren't present in your setup, whoever installed it may have hosed it up.

The purpose for them is pretty much, from what I can see, just to take up the slop between the surface of the green clip that holds everything together, and the surface of the e-clip on the needle. Dynojet has two little washers on each needle, I'm not sure how many factory uses per needle, but I know they use 'em. And Ivans - I'm not sure, but I think they use 'em too. So if you have ZERO washers, something may be amiss.

The way my setup is right now (and I still don't know if it's optimum, without those springs) there's about maybe 1/2-1mm of play if you try to push the needle back & forth, as if into & out of the slide assembly. Without those washers, you could have alot more play than this, and if you ask me, that could really impact your jetting.

Just so you know - I've come to the conclusion that while I don't know if they're necessary, they surely can't hurt. So I've got 'em on order. I'm going to install them and go from there.

THANK YOU Boater :cheers: And to the other replies as well.

·
Crashing Sucks!
118 Posts
I rejetted an 01 set of carbs and have the instructions. If you go to dynojet website you can look at their drawings, but there is no spring on the needle itself just the e-clip and 2 washers is what my instructions called for. The only spring that I can think of is between the rubber boot and top of the carbs. Mine also had shrouds that were not installed which caused my bike to run like crap so you might want to check that also. I would also ensure you have the right jets installed if the kit was not put in correctly to start with. try this link http://www.dynojet.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the reply, crash! :cheers:

yeah - I had already been on the website. I know their drawings don't show the springs. But... I ordered 'em anyway. After talking with one of my good friends about the issue, we both pretty much came to the conclusion that the inclusion of the springs can't hurt. And might help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The needles on my stock 2000 R6 are held in place by plastic retainers that clip to the top of the slide(where the middle of the diaphragm is).
There are NO spring clips on mine.
HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.