Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used 2001 r6, guy said the wind blew it over so the front brake lever broke, I was like OK. Got it home, took the fairings off they were all cracked, muffler was pretty bad, no problems was looking for a project anyways. Now the question, no low beams and brake light stays on, as well as oil light, checked the harness it seems good, fuses are good. any ideas?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The front brake switch could've possibly been damaged, or the lever itself is in a position that its activating the switch. I would check for power at the headlights when on low beam if you haven't already, I've burnt/blown both low beams at once, on more than one occasion. The oil light is and oil level light, not pressure, they malfunction often on R1's, I would imagine the R6 is the same. If the oil level is correct, either ignore the light or replace the sensor (in the oil pan) A service manual will help trouble shoot the lights, there should be something in the mechanical help section. Next to active topics, click on forum, it will bring up all of the various 'threads' on different types of subjects. Edit: The rear brake switch could also be the cause of the brake light too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've ordered a new front brake lever, the oil level is good, but I will be changing it, as I do with all used bikes I've purchased, you never know when it was changed last, especially when buddy says the wind blew it over, I figure the wind was coming at him about 65 mph, looking at the exhaust and fairing damage lol. I have power to both low and high beams on the switch. (Relay maybe?) The brake light I figure, could be foot activated solenoid or front brake solenoid. Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
A service manual shows the exact steps to go through for the head lights, could be a relay though. The brake light should be pretty easy to figure out by looking at the f&r switches. Check the bike parts for sale section here, you can save some $$ buying parts here. Good Luck, you should have no problem fixing it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the brake light issue is in the front brake lever, just unplugged the front brake power wires and the brake light works properly now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts