Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I really need some help on this one. A few weeks ago my bike was vandalized and/or attempted to be stolen. They cut the wires from the key ignition side, unplugged the 2 connectors under the left black plastic and took the wires. I went to the local Yamaha dealer were i purchased a new, OEM ignition. After install, i turned the key on, everything lights up, fuel pump kicks on, dash lights, horn, blinker - but the bike doesn't even try to start. I replaced the starter relay as well and it didn't make a difference. I took the kill switch assembly apart on the bars to check the start button - Ohm reading proved it was making and breaking. I have checked the bike over and cant seem to find any others wire cut or sabotage. Battery is reading 12.34VDC.
I did notice that the mileage was reset to "0.0" on the gauge cluster. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
nova r6
3,200 Posts
Check for any history or current codes in diag mode? Also is the kickstand and neutral switch working, confirm in diag mode. Lastly there is a saftey switch relay under the seat number 28 in the diagram

In the service manual electrical chapter there is a section on the electric starting system. It explains the relay and ways to test the system

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tdoss1980,
I just read about the diag mode last night which i had no idea about. My manual doesn't seem to mention anything about it. I've read on this fourm to get into diah62 and hit the kill switch on and off to reset. I will try that later tonight. I will look through my manual again, but i did not see any information on how to test the electrical. Everything reverts to "send bike to dealer". Thank you for some avenues to check out!

·
nova r6
3,200 Posts
No problem, do you have the factory service manual?
If not you can download it here:

Section 8-7 is the electric starting system section
Section 8-35 goes thru all the code numbers and meanings
Section 8-40 talks about diagnostic mode

Dont go to DIAG 62 without first seeing DIAG 61 to see what codes are there. Just remember that the bike stores ALL codes in history until they are erased but still worth jotting down incase. After that clear the codes and try again and if any codes come back that will give you an idea where to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have the manual, but i didn't see anything about getting into the diag. My manual goes from 8-4 right to 9-1. Sounds like for some reason, mine skips some pages? I wish i had read your post before i cleared the codes - 92 did have 1 and i cleared it. Still no luck though. I went back in after turning off the bike and it stayed "0". I did notice that when in neutral, there is no indication light on the gauge cluster like there usually is. I ordered one of those relays you showed me - i can't imagine there would be much more left other than the ECU. The neutral, kick stand and clutch are all just switches, how would any of those go bad. It aggravating that with all the fuses and safeties, not one thing seemed to catch the short to ground, or whatever they did when the ignition was cut. Thanks for sending those manuals, I'll print out the 2008 one as it should be the same.

·
nova r6
3,200 Posts
If your kickstand is down and neutral light is not coming on the bike does not know that the bike is actually in neutral. Have you tried starting it with the kickstand up and the clutch pulled in? Try this even though the bike is really in neutral and see what happens. The neutral switch is on the back of the motor by the shock and is a simple ground/no ground switch. When in neutral the switch grounds out making the light come on and any gear the ground goes away cutting the light off. Could even be a loose connection back there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, i have tried every variant of trying to start the bike, and i get the same result. If that relay box you showed me controls all the safety switches, there is a good chance something in there got fried.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once i get the new relay, i'll give it a try and report back. If it doesn't work, i'll just have to bring it to a dealer. Thanks again for all your help, tdoss1980. I'll update on what comes of the new relay!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*Update
I put the new relay in and doesn't make a difference. :( Thats just about everything besides the ECU and gauge cluster.
I'm at a loss. I hope the dealer can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It's odd that your odometer would reset to zero. Are you sure it wasn't the trip meter? I've had my cluster completely out and it never reset to zero.

Check your ignition and backup (meter) fuses. Your neutral light switch grounds the LED that's in your dash cluster. The cluster gets its power via the wire harness that plugs in on maybe the right side fairing of the bike; if not right, then left. Make sure nothing was damaged there. Go over all of you harness and make sure they're plugged in, with no evidence of tamper or damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Intuit, yes I meant the trip, not the whole odometer. My mistake. I don’t see any other wires cut or tampered with. There is a high pitched , constant “ring” when I turn the ignition on coming from the the center of the bike somewhere. I don’t recall it before, or at least as loud. They cut the ignition wires, then unplugged them under the left fairing. Doesn’t seem they had tools - everything was pulled and cut with a knife. I will likely go through it again before I send it in. I just get aggravated real quick given the whole situation.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It's normal for the trip meter to be reset with power loss. Presumably you disconnected the battery in the course of repairing the wires they cut. If the trip meter and clock keeps being reset then the meter/backup fuse is blown, or it's connection to the cluster via red/green wire is compromised. THe other posibility is that the dash button is stuck. This happened to me with an aftermarket replacement case for the dash cluster.

Some electronic components such as capacitors and voltage regulators make the noise. It may be normal and was never noticed before. 12.3v is a little low. Do you see a drop in battery voltage when you attempt to crank? If you see a dramatic drop, then it may be attempting to crank after all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts