Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, new member here long time rider. my first street bike was a brand new cbr 600, rode it for a few years, but being 18 i got plenty of tickets and sold it. a few years ago i got a deal on an 03 r6 but eventually traded it for a boat. while scanning craigslist recently, i fount a wrecked r6 for $500. and so the project begins.....

i got the bike off of a kid probably around 20 years old. he said he was turning while going about 35mph and accidently downshifted into 1st gear and when he let the clutch out he lost the rear end and the bike rolled. the story makes no sense to me, but with a good frame,forks,motor and title, $500 was a good deal for me.

the kid kind of lost himself with some cans of spray paint. he sprayed everything he could see with black spray paint, except the wheels which he chose bright yellow. the pictures speak for themselves.he also had yellow led lights installed all over it. the paint was chipping, so i took some stripper to it with pretty good results. i also removed all the led lights.

whoever had the bike before him set it up to race at the track, a huge benefit for me because i live about 5 miles from the new jersey motorsports park. it has aftermarket clip-ons,aftermarket rearsets, nrc side covers, stainless brake lines. the kid only had the bike for about 6 months and gave me about $2800 in reciepts for work he had done to it. he had it re jetted, a stage 1 carb kit installed, new water pump, new battery and plenty of other things i cant remember right now.

i tore all the plastics off to see what i was working with, all the plastics were trash, the tank had a horrible repair done to it and was leaking. it needed an upper fairing stay bracket, radiator, front brake lever,all the fairings, and a rear seat(he had a yellow one,lol). i hunted ebay and craigslist and have almost all the parts i need. im still looking for a decently priced upper stay bracket. i ordered all the plastics directly from china and only paid $428.00 including shipping for them. i just ordered them, so i dont know how good or bad they are, but they should do the trick.
heres a list of parts i got and what i paid for them.

bike: $500
radiator: $20.50
left headlight $35.00 (right one was still good)
paint stripper:$8.00
stator cover,rear footpegs,left clip-on: $50.00
rear seat: $9.99
welding done to fix a crack in the block and some broken studs:$150
every piece of plastic brand new: $428.00
stator cover bolts:$ 9.95
new brake and clutch levers:$14.95
complete fairing bolt kit in black:$ 72.61
stator cover gasket:$8.14
i think i found a good tank for 150.00 delivered, but i will have to get it painted.

so all together i have $1300 into the bike with the tank and upper stay bracket left to get. im sure there will be some random bolts and other stuff i will see when im assembling it.

heres a pic of what i started with and one i took while stripping it. i will post more pics in three weeks or so when i get the plastics in.

Attachments

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Not bad, I'd turn it into a track/stunt bike. I'd be careful about those hong kong fairings from china though. Cheap plastics tend to wrap and deform because the heat from the bike.

If anything try to get some heat shields running in there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. the plastics are supposed to have heat sheilds built in but i have no problem replacing them if they are trash. time will tell.

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
Nice job, lookin good for what you put in it

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Very nice...subbed for final outcome...you saved that 6:cheers

Oh, and welcome to the forum :wave

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
lemme know when you need a set of brake lines, or block off plates. :sing :laugh

good project though. should be able to make a little if/when you sell it.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
nice price for a bike!
also :wave welcome to the forum, I'm Dan the coolest member here :popcorn:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the welcoms, seems like a very usefull and friendly forum. once i get the bike back together i will be playing around with the audi headlight led's i was reading about on here last night.

its very nice living this close to njmp, last summer jason brittan and his boys put on a hell of a stunt show at the track. depending on whats racing, i can hear the motors screaming some days. plus they have some bad ass f1 go karts that they rent out, and me and my boys beat around the track,its pretty fun.

the bikes a 99, it already had the shift fork dogs or whatever corrected. the kid had the reciept for it with the paperwork he gave me. he said it never jumped second gear, but his mechanic recommended it, so it got done.

i cant wait for the rest of the parts to get here, i will be like a kid at christmas everyday i come home to a box on my porch. ill keep everybody posted.thanks again

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:lmao

I dunno how it is where you live, but I wouldn't wanna live 5 minutes from NJMP personally. proximity to track = nice.. Proximity to Philly = not nice.. Level of gangsterness 5 minutes from millville.. Very high.
lol, im out in the sticks, no gangsters out this way. millville definatly has some suspect neighborhoods. phillys about 40 miles from me, so that trash doesnt trickle down this far. im about 10 mins from the bay, i live on a road with 4 houses on it, my dog runs loose,theres a shooting range a little over a mile from me, gangsters would be far from their comfort zone out this way.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
lol, im out in the sticks, no gangsters out this way. millville definatly has some suspect neighborhoods. phillys about 40 miles from me, so that trash doesnt trickle down this far. im about 10 mins from the bay, i live on a road with 4 houses on it, my dog runs loose,theres a shooting range a little over a mile from me, gangsters would be far from their comfort zone out this way.
That's awesome bro. I was all over millville, and at whatever hospital is near there too. It was definitely interesting to say the least!!

Sounds like you are in a perfect spot down there. Do you guys get NY news or Philly news? And do you guys get the philly sports games or NY ones on TV?

Anyway, keep us updated on the progress. Build threads are the best

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
philly news, and philly sports, we get some ny games. the hospital is shut down, unless you saw the south jersey reigonal hospital in vineland. if you took rt 55 to the track you went through the heart of the shithole. im south west of the track.
i do some work in millville and its pretty bad, but i also do some work in bridgeton, which is way worse. i have videos of "tucky the cross eyed crack head". he came to a job i was on asking for work. he said he just gout out of jail for stabbing his girlfriend with a fork. he said he doesnt do drugs, he just snorts and smokes cocaine. he wanted to work for $20-$30 a day and ciggaretts. search for "tucky 1" or "tucky 2" on youtube. i took the videos on my cell phone and was trying to hide it so you might have to turn your volume way up to hear it, but its worth it.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts