Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, guess it's that time. I signed up on this forum a long long time ago (2009) when I first started dreaming about having a bike...but parents had other plans, etc.

I'm not yet an official R6 rider, but have signed the paperwork to begin the process of getting one.

I come from a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 (my second one actually - wrecked the first one after coming across a ton of gravel late at night while mid-turn).

Below is the bike I am in the process of buying...but after leaving the lot I have a feeling I'm being taken advantage of. Can someone help me out?

Year: 2010
Make: Yamaha
Model: YZF-R6
Mileage: 11,576
Issues: Dropped on right side. Scuffed up main fairing and headlight fairing/upper fairings. No other damage visible.
Other info: No mirrors (?), looks like a Jardine GP1 exhaust, bike is lowered, one owner. Dealer said it has new Michelins, but the tires in the pictures (I didn't check when I looked at it myself) are definitely Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers based on the tread pattern. And they don't look new (at least not the front one). Chain isn't that clean...not terribly rusted, but by my standards it doesn't look all that maintained.
Pictures:

Price we agreed upon was $7,440 plus tax/tags (I pay this myself at my DMV since I'm in NY). That's the $6,990 he wants plus what I owe on the bike (that he isn't paying for) rolled into the other fees they have, etc. I suck at negotiating in person but behind a computer/email I'll gladly tell someone to go suck it. He's giving me $3,500 (I'm reverting it to mostly stock) for my Ninja 300 and I owe $3,850 on it. So I'm looking at about $8,100 after everything is said and done. I may be able to sell some of my aftermarket sparts for the Ninja for like $600...bringing the price down to $7,500.

Plus, my Ninja 300 has a 4yr extended warranty (expires in 2018 - Kawasaki Good Times Protection Plan - KGTPP) which I forgot to mention and he obviously didn't factor into the trade price.

Based on this information, am I getting a good deal or should I back out/re-negotiate? On the slip I signed, it says the deal is null and void if the purchaser does not provide a valid title for the trade-in...so it looks like I can still back out.

Please help...a part of me is excited to get my dream bike so to speak, but the other part of me is screaming that I'm getting shafted. Help me see through the Yamaha Team Blue glasses I am wearing!

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Hi folks, guess it's that time. I signed up on this forum a long long time ago (2009) when I first started dreaming about having a bike...but parents had other plans, etc.

I'm not yet an official R6 rider, but have signed the paperwork to begin the process of getting one.

I come from a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 (my second one actually - wrecked the first one after coming across a ton of gravel late at night while mid-turn).

Below is the bike I am in the process of buying...but after leaving the lot I have a feeling I'm being taken advantage of. Can someone help me out?

Year: 2010
Make: Yamaha
Model: YZF-R6
Mileage: 11,576
Issues: Dropped on right side. Scuffed up main fairing and headlight fairing/upper fairings. No other damage visible.
Other info: No mirrors (?), looks like a Jardine GP1 exhaust, bike is lowered, one owner. Dealer said it has new Michelins, but the tires in the pictures (I didn't check when I looked at it myself) are definitely Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers based on the tread pattern. And they don't look new (at least not the front one). Chain isn't that clean...not terribly rusted, but by my standards it doesn't look all that maintained.
Pictures:

Price we agreed upon was $7,440 plus tax/tags (I pay this myself at my DMV since I'm in NY). That's the $6,990 he wants plus what I owe on the bike (that he isn't paying for) rolled into the other fees they have, etc. I suck at negotiating in person but behind a computer/email I'll gladly tell someone to go suck it. He's giving me $3,500 (I'm reverting it to mostly stock) for my Ninja 300 and I owe $3,850 on it. So I'm looking at about $8,100 after everything is said and done. I may be able to sell some of my aftermarket sparts for the Ninja for like $600...bringing the price down to $7,500.

Plus, my Ninja 300 has a 4yr extended warranty (expires in 2018 - Kawasaki Good Times Protection Plan - KGTPP) which I forgot to mention and he obviously didn't factor into the trade price.

Based on this information, am I getting a good deal or should I back out/re-negotiate? On the slip I signed, it says the deal is null and void if the purchaser does not provide a valid title for the trade-in...so it looks like I can still back out.

Please help...a part of me is excited to get my dream bike so to speak, but the other part of me is screaming that I'm getting shafted. Help me see through the Yamaha Team Blue glasses I am wearing!
It's Gundam from Shift (I know hard to believe from the name right!?), Your photos don't work bro.

The price, to be real with you is High. A lowered bike R6 **** that! No mirrors come on, rusted chain? yeah you could do better you could get a nice one used for around 6k from a private seller. Get me the pictures of this bike dude. We don't call them sealerships for nothing.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man. Not sure why the pics don't work for you...they work on my phone and multiple browsers at home.

Anyway, I went with my gut feeling before you responded and emailed the guy and told him I wouldn't be coming back with any paperwork. Someone on the ninja forum gave me a link to a Toledo Honda dealer which has left over stock of 2013s for 9k brand new...so I'll likely go that route. Supposedly they deliver for cheap too. Waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for checking this thread though man.

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Hey, it's GeneralPatton from Shift lol

Yeah thats a lot of money for that bike. The good thing is you can get rid of the 300 all in the same transaction, but eeek, I wouldn't pay that.

When I was considering selling my 07 R6 with 16,000 miles ... I was gonna ask $5000.

and the photos do work for me. It has a cheap stupid exhaust on it worth $70, so it's not even a nice system .. which in my opinion, should lower the price because if you were to get a header ... you'll definitely need a real exhaust, not just a piece of tin.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, it's GeneralPatton from Shift lol

Yeah thats a lot of money for that bike. The good thing is you can get rid of the 300 all in the same transaction, but eeek, I wouldn't pay that.

When I was considering selling my 07 R6 with 16,000 miles ... I was gonna ask $5000.

and the photos do work for me. It has a cheap stupid exhaust on it worth $70, so it's not even a nice system .. which in my opinion, should lower the price because if you were to get a header ... you'll definitely need a real exhaust, not just a piece of tin.
Look at all these transplants! lol.

Yeah, I realize I will have to take a hit if I choose to trade, in the name of convenience, but that seemed like too much.

Glad I made the right decision to scrap the deal. Always trust your gut they say.

And I didn't realize that exhaust was so cheap, good to know. I'm still waiting to hear back from that dealer in Toledo about their old new stock.

Quick question, since both of you are local, do either of you have a trailer I can borrow should I need to go to Toledo to trade my bike? I know you can rent em from UHaul but when I called around to get one when I went to pick up this Ninja 300 (in November), they had none available (and it was winter time!) so it seems like it's a rare thing to get a hold of especially now that we're in summer (when people go to tracks, etc.).

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
No I dont, but I believe Capital Region Customs has a nice enclosed trailer he may rent out.

I know Gundam uses a trailer to get to the track, but idk if he owns or rents it

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
No I dont, but I believe Capital Region Customs has a nice enclosed trailer he may rent out.

I know Gundam uses a trailer to get to the track, but idk if he owns or rents it
I rent bro, there's uhaul in Cliftonpark that rents them out cheap. Also I think that trailer at CRC was sold.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Do they have a bunch in stock? Cause when I was picking up the Ninja in November they told me that the nearest one was in f'in Mass lol.

Also, my dad has a 2014 Pathfinder, but he's somewhat reluctant to let me use it for towing (yeah, I know. What?) so I plan to install a hitch on my Infiniti M35...which can tow up to 1000lb. I think one bike + a Uhaul bike trailer is <1000, yeah?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts