Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
I recommend doing the following:

1) Buy quality riding gear. If you value a particular part of your body, it needs to be covered with gear. 2 piece leathers, riding gloves, riding boots, and a helmet are what I recommend. Jeans do NOTHING in a crash, but are more convenient.

2) Find someone that can set up the suspension for your weight. Even just setting the sag will make a huge impact on the way the bike feels. You might have local shops that can do this, or you could take the bike to a vendor at a trackday and have it done.

3) Keep good condition tires on the bike at all times. You should be shopping for tires in the "Sport-touring" category. Any major brand of tire will do.

4) Attend a trackday that offers novice instruction.

You are not going to be able to buy bolt on parts that offer any significant performance gains the way you can with some cars. I recommend buying a few cosmetic things that make the bike look nice and leaving it at that. The bike is light-years beyond your capabilities, and you wouldn't have any way to benefit from more power even if you had it.

I recommend doing the following:

1) Buy quality riding gear. If you value a particular part of your body, it needs to be covered with gear. 2 piece leathers, riding gloves, riding boots, and a helmet are what I recommend. Jeans do NOTHING in a crash, but are more convenient.

2) Find someone that can set up the suspension for your weight. Even just setting the sag will make a huge impact on the way the bike feels. You might have local shops that can do this, or you could take the bike to a vendor at a trackday and have it done.

3) Keep good condition tires on the bike at all times. You should be shopping for tires in the "Sport-touring" category. Any major brand of tire will do.

4) Attend a trackday that offers novice instruction.

You are not going to be able to buy bolt on parts that offer any significant performance gains the way you can with some cars. I recommend buying a few cosmetic things that make the bike look nice and leaving it at that. The bike is light-years beyond your capabilities, and you wouldn't have any way to benefit from more power even if you had it.
Excellent advice :fact

most important... start with msf course, baby steps from there...

:dunce: i was dumb not to get a new r6.... instead i got the r6s...

no matter, now im even more set on beatin my friends wit gsxr's, r6's n r1's! lol South Dakota's "Black Hills" are a great place to learn twisties :D

Discussion starter · #26 ·
lol ok.....well ill do that and to do track days is alot of work on the bike right? is there anyway to get good help with it without having to mod out my bike for track. and i already took that course and passed without a mistake.but next im going to take the advanced course.I just put a brand new more sticky tire on yesterday.and whats a sag?is the r6s not as good as the r6?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.