Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

NEW need upgrade help...Experienced Riders Plz

2K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Sundevilr6 
#1 ·
Hi im new to this forum i recently just got a bike and im trying to figure out what kind of modifcations should i get done.If anyone can help me out with that i would be more then grateful. Price is really not an option i just need to know what to get because bikes are way different then car :screwy ...I have a white 09 R6 with a gtyr slip-on and thats is.

#3 ·
flushmount turn signals
fender eliminator
midpipe
new air filter

just some ideas......

#5 ·
standard:
fender eliminator
flush mount turn signals
slider kit
tank pad

less standard:
exhaust (mid-pipe, MJS header or 03-05 header, or full exhaust)
air filter
pc3
double bubble windscreen
HID lights

less less standard:
520 conversion, -1/+2
levers
s.s. brake lines
new rotors
custom tune
etc...

i'm sure this list is missing TONS, but just jump head first into this world, and you'll learn to swim :)

#6 ·
Sliders if it is your first bike for sure then fender eliminator, steering damper, then if you are looking for performance ditch the slip-on get a full system, PCII, High flow filter, 520 sprocket conversion. And if money is not an issue maybe some nice light weight rims, and some better rubber than those stock tires. Then most do flush mount front signals, and a Clear Alternatives intergated rear tail light, seat cowl, spools, windscreen.

#7 ·
PCIII, stainless brake lines, fender eliminator, different front signals (I like the visability of non-flushmounts myself). If you don't go for the 520 conversion at least go -1 on the front, and in doing that I really like the speedo healer.

#10 ·
WoW that you guys soooo much for your input. ill put up a pic of the pic right now and im looking for more performance then cosmetic. but of course cosmetic because i have to look good right :). I was going to get the fender elimator and the sliders because everyone told me about those and i was going to get a power commander??!! idk.i was going to see if i could also go 200 in the rear but the dude at my dealership said it wouldnt be good because it would hurt im turning so i wouldnt want to do that?! what do you guys think?and some of you guys said gears, well what kind of gears?And full system, which are the best kind?

#11 ·
If you want a bike that is going to handle well keep the 180 on the rear, besides a 200 won't fit on the stock rim at least safely. Full exhaust is more of what you are looking for in the looks department since they are all fairly close to putting out the same kind of numbers. I like the leo, and of course the M4 which is the one I went with, but you have graves that has a nice system or arko. For gear go with leather it will save your butt when you go down. I ride with a Icon leather jacket with a field armor vest under it, a set of icon field armor knee pad, icon mesh riding pants, field armor boots, Timax leather gloves, and Icon helmet. Let me tell you when I went down just recently I was glad to have it all on. Just jumped up and walked away just a little sore for the next couple of weeks but that is a million times better then road rash.

#12 ·
i had a buddy that went 190 and he was rubbing the swingarm. i could only imagine what a 200 would do...

if this is ur first sportbike, i'd say leave it alone and start playing with it in a year or so. i plan on spending a few thousand in suspension and control mods before i even consider a full system or any other hp enhancements. ur intentions might change by then... just keep that in mind.

#13 ·
a 200 may not be a good idea for a tire. A 190/55 will work but you may need to either lengthen the chain or go with smaller front and rear sprocket to get some more distance from the swing arm. Running a longer chain isn't a bad thing. It will improve stability and reduce tank slappers. The only downside is that it will slow down your turn in rate and ability to quick flick. It will be years before you need to worry about how fast you can flick the bike though. A lot of people say go cosmetic, or exhuast and power up parts. From experience I say spend your money on the handling. I could care less about 5-6 h.p. when I know I could go into a turn faster than anyone else and feel what the bike is doing and have confidence it will stick. Suspension is expensive but the results far exceed the cost of power up parts. A little goes a long way. You can spend about 2 grand for front and back or less even. You will have a superior handling bike as compared to all your friends. Or you can spend 2 grand on looks and power up parts and have exactly what your friends have.

#14 ·
well im not a track guy so i dont think i need all those things like knee pads and all that stuff when i ride right? and i can do an exhaust or power commander. and suspension....what kind should i get for a better handling?and ill just keep the 180 on and just get a really good tire.oooo and gear like riding gear....i thought the comment was made for gear components lol

#16 ·
The most important upgrade you can make is upgrading the nut connecting the seat to the clipons and the footpegs. The bike is far more capable than you are, whether you want to go the track or do drag racing or even just regular street riding.

1. Take an MSF course. It will save your life and make you a far better rider than most of your friends.

2. After you have at least 6 months of riding experience, sign up for a trackday. Even if you don't want to drag knee in every corner, it will improve your riding enough that virtually none of you friends will be able to keep up with you safely. If you enjoy it, go to more trackdays. Riding on the street will never ever teach you even half of the stuff you will learn at your first day, and from there it only gets better, like sex.

3. Start upgrading the bike to fit your own riding style and needs. Nobody else knows what sound you want from your bike, so we can't tell you which exhaust to get. They all make about the same power, but there are more differences in sound than you can imagine. The same thing goes for suspension and even looks.

#17 ·
OK well what kind of ohlins are you talking about? and again thank you for all your help you guys, i dont know about bikes im a car man. but i am taking those classes now actually today and i will sign up for a track day. and with the upgrades i wouldnt know what to do to improve anything like i could do with my car so i was just wondering what do ppl usually upgrade to get a nice amount of power and stuff.

#18 ·
Since you say your a car guy look at it this way, an SS bike is like buying a Ferrari or some other ultra high performance car. You dont need to upgrade anything. When and if the day ever comes that you are better than the bike and you can see what areas need improvement then go nuts and blow some $$$. Untill then just do some light mods and save your $ for track days and gear.
Peace.

#19 ·
I did flushies/integrated tail/sliders/grips/spools/bar ends. i do recommend sliders-bar ends first then a dampener.

I wouldnt bother with performance mods too much just yet imo re-gearing will be better than any *power* mod u will do to the bike. i would like to get rid of my stock muffler though, its so damn huge. 06+ stock muffler looks good to me

get the suspension set up for your weight. the possibilities are almost endless though:nocontrol

my winter wish list is SS brake lines,-1+2gearing then hopefully some track gear/plastics by this summer

on a side note, good choice on the bike:YEA

#22 ·
I recommend doing the following:

1) Buy quality riding gear. If you value a particular part of your body, it needs to be covered with gear. 2 piece leathers, riding gloves, riding boots, and a helmet are what I recommend. Jeans do NOTHING in a crash, but are more convenient.

2) Find someone that can set up the suspension for your weight. Even just setting the sag will make a huge impact on the way the bike feels. You might have local shops that can do this, or you could take the bike to a vendor at a trackday and have it done.

3) Keep good condition tires on the bike at all times. You should be shopping for tires in the "Sport-touring" category. Any major brand of tire will do.

4) Attend a trackday that offers novice instruction.

You are not going to be able to buy bolt on parts that offer any significant performance gains the way you can with some cars. I recommend buying a few cosmetic things that make the bike look nice and leaving it at that. The bike is light-years beyond your capabilities, and you wouldn't have any way to benefit from more power even if you had it.

#24 ·
most important... start with msf course, baby steps from there...

:dunce: i was dumb not to get a new r6.... instead i got the r6s...

no matter, now im even more set on beatin my friends wit gsxr's, r6's n r1's! lol South Dakota's "Black Hills" are a great place to learn twisties :D

#26 ·
lol ok.....well ill do that and to do track days is alot of work on the bike right? is there anyway to get good help with it without having to mod out my bike for track. and i already took that course and passed without a mistake.but next im going to take the advanced course.I just put a brand new more sticky tire on yesterday.and whats a sag?is the r6s not as good as the r6?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.