Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I Just got my brand new 2018 r6 today. Yes 0 miles guess it didn't fly off the shelf. Love this and 2017 color comb. I look forward to learning from the experienced r6 owners on minor modifications, and diy's to keep the bike looking good, n performing better!

Thank you,
Shafia

Attachments

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
545 Posts
Looks good bro! Sad rhe trade mark high vis yellow 80s yamaha is gone. I hear all the time that someone saw me. I'm like were the rims fluorescent yellow? Yeah, it was me.

Reactions: ShafNinja

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good bro! Sad rhe trade mark high vis yellow 80s yamaha is gone. I hear all the time that someone saw me. I'm like were the rims fluorescent yellow? Yeah, it was me.
Man the power is immense. I have ridden it twice in low power mode so far and I don't see how people can justify a liter bike in the streets. Amazing motorcycle. True weapon. I'm still getting used to the shifter compared to my 09 ninja 250 I had for 8 years before it was stolen last September.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
545 Posts
A mode is when it comes alive at 9k..

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Yeah 250 to 600 superbike is a big jump. You'll get used to it though. I know better than to get a liter-bike. The 600 has gotten me into enough trouble as it is.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
545 Posts
R1 with 200hp? My r6 has no shortage already.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Enjoy man! basic mods are frame sliders/axle sliders/ case protection if you really nervous/anal. new grips if you are into that. then its performance at that point. if you have any questions just ask!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah 250 to 600 superbike is a big jump. You'll get used to it though. I know better than to get a liter-bike. The 600 has gotten me into enough trouble as it is.
I asked and he said he has bought and sold bikes that have had oil in it for 6 years with no issues. What do you recommend? The break in oil is currently in the motorcycle. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I trust that the oil would remain slick, but would definitely change it anyway. He apparently knew better than to mention the real issue, which is fuel and rust in the fuel tank. Run a lighted pill/bore cam down there. (plenty of cheaper lighted USB-C bore cam options on amazon) The anti-corrosion properties of coolant suffers with time as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I trust that the oil would remain slick, but would definitely change it anyway. He apparently knew better than to mention the real issue, which is fuel and rust in the fuel tank. Run a lighted pill/bore cam down there. (plenty of cheaper lighted USB-C bore cam options on amazon) The anti-corrosion properties of coolant suffers with time as well.
I'm thinking of taking it to the local shop and having them change it out? Will ask them to look in the tank as well. Bike had like less than 1 gallon when received. Gotta make sure the oil they put in is the break in grade before the 500 mile change.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
545 Posts
I'd change it and filter at 200 or 300 miles but it's up to you if you wait till 500.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd change it and filter at 200 or 300 miles but it's up to you if you wait till 500.
just spoke with a great guy I know from my local dealership. He said I should be ok. Recommend getting brakes flushed. So I set that appointment up. You guys think I should look into gas tank rust issues? Bike had about half a gallon when I received it. Just by best guess.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
545 Posts
If it was never filled, it shouldn't have rust issues. When they sit after being used causes moisture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it was never filled, it shouldn't have rust issues. When they sit after being used causes moisture.
I filled her up for the first time Sunday. Didnt see any rust at the top of the tank. Wouldn't expect it there though.. with the amount of fuel that was in it.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
545 Posts
I doubt it. Dangerous to let gas get old in a fuel system. Hence the delivery prep is put gas, prime, bolt on clip ons. Maybe add oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I doubt it. Dangerous to let gas get old in a fuel system. Hence the delivery prep is put gas, prime, bolt on clip ons. Maybe add oil.
from my talk with dealer the oil had been sitting in it for some time. I have a appointment scheduled for August 3rd to get the brakes bled. I will ask them to look at the tank for me too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts