Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, please no flames here, I am just looking for some help. Ok well i'm 15 years old right now but my b-day is in may. I want to get my m1 and a bike when I turn 16. My delema is that I really want to ride but I have no riding experience what so ever and i dont want to start off buying some ugly old bike to learn on. I originaly wanted a R1 but soon found out that it was to powerfull for me so I fell in love with the R6. Would this be alright for me? Another problem I have is that I want to ride soo badly but then I think of all the horrible stories I hear of people getting killed or seriously injured and having witnessed a fatal bike colision myself isn't very reasuring. And I think, is it really worth the risk? But then I really have no clue on how risky it is or what risks are involved, so if anyone could give me some insight toward this I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.

Nick

·
Registered
846 Posts
Welcome...
My advice to you would be first and foremost take the Basic Riders course... That always helps. I think if you respect your 6, you should be fine, but it's been said a million times... The second you don't respect your bike, it'll kill you. I've been down myself, as I'm sure most people around here have been. You've got to remember that people in cars are out to kill us riders. I would suggest starting on something a little less crazy than a 600 sportbike, simply becausae there's so much power there, that it's hard not to fool around. I'm 25 and been riding about 10 years, and I'm still in awe of the power of my 6. As long as you're careful, and learn all you can, you should be fine. My .02 cents.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
134 Posts
welchsm said it man... just respect your bike... i am 21 and this is my first bike and first time ever riding a bike was my R6... It has more power than you can ever imagine...

it will probably be hard for you especially because how young you are... that many of you friends will want you to do all the cool and very dangerous things with your new bike.... its alot of responsiblity. and i wish you the best

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Personally, I feel it's best if you start on a smaller motorcycle, used preferably. As you are young (me too, I'm 20), and have no experience riding, I would give you a 90% chance of dropping the motorcycle while you're still learning how to shift your weight around. There's a huge difference in weight. So get something used if you don't want to ruin the beautiful r6. Also the smaller engine will help you learn how to handle your r6 a lot better. I've read that there are a lot of rider errors that are hidden behind the power of a bigger motor.

In one of the more recent issue's of Cycle World (the one with Rossi on the cover :hammer), they tested the '05 r6 and it's 0-60 time is 2.9 seconds. Can you imagine yourself driving a car that fast when you JUST got your drivers license? If you respond yes, now can you imagine driving a car that fast without doors, a seatbelt, a hood, a trunk, and a roof?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
i agree with the rest of the members. first off take the msf course. then get a ninja 250 or something similar. get used to the small bike first. then when experience build up, then step up to the R6 or what ever is in your budget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not saying I would learn to ride on my 6. I was thinkin more along the lines of getting one of my good buddies whos bin rideing since he was 6 to teach me on his dirt bike and then hopefully by the time may rolls around i would have enough experience and skill to handle the 6. Would this work?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
wootwoot said:
I'm not saying I would learn to ride on my 6. I was thinkin more along the lines of getting one of my good buddies whos bin rideing since he was 6 to teach me on his dirt bike and then hopefully by the time may rolls around i would have enough experience and skill to handle the 6. Would this work?
I think a fresh 16 year old with a bike could be one of the scarriest things I could imagine.....I'm not hatin on you but think about it like this......You're going to be riding this on the street......there are certain laws and certain things that happen on the street that you have to be aware of and always be on the look out fore that you are not yet aware of because you haven't had any experience on the streets, NOT EVEN IN A CAR.

In all honesty I would suggest focusing on getting a car and learning what being on the road is all about FIRST, then maybe in a year or two getcha self a little Ninja 250 or EX 500 and learn on that......

Just use your head man......I wanted a bike for sooooo long when I was in highschool cuz I had ridden dirtbikes forever but my parents wouldn't let me get one until i could completely afford it all on my own and I had been driving for a little while.....

The last thing I wanna read when I open up the paper in the morning is how some 16 just got his license and his brand new motorcycle and wrapped his ass around a pole......I'm not trying to scare you but this is some real life shit here......Be safe man and good luck.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
i would say you should learn the rules of the road in a car before you get a bike and learn on it. since you are new to driving (i assume cuz your still 15) making a mistake driving will be all safer in a car than on a sportbike.

just my opinion..

·
Registered
784 Posts
All of us here just want the best for you, and if we could have it our way, the rest of the world would be riding bikes and having the same fun we have when we ride 2 wheels. This topic is so vast and open that you can argue both FOR and AGAINST an R6 or any 600 as a first bike. Ultimately, it's up to you. Lemme maybe put things into a greater perspective that I, and maybe others, should feel you should taken into account.

Motorcycling in general isn't a cheap or inexpensive hobby. People have mentioned the Safety Course, but no one has mentioned safety gear. Decent gear is quite expensive. Whether you're riding Rossi's YZR M1, an R1, an R6, or a 250 Ninja... you should have some decent gear. That said, you pointed out you're 15. Can you afford a motorcycle without having to rely on others too heavily? More importantly, can you afford insurance ? Depending on where you are and what your options are, you may be in for a shock surprise when it comes time to put your bike on the road legally.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Drooder said:
All of us here just want the best for you, and if we could have it our way, the rest of the world would be riding bikes and having the same fun we have when we ride 2 wheels.
this man speaks the troof.

nobody likes to read about a young life that was cut short due to the mistakes of the person or anybody else on the road.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Riding a motorcycle is more difficult at first also than a car.. It's more demanding of your concentration. Bike's don't have ABS, traction control, etc etc. Things you take for granted in a 4-wheeled vehicle. As others mentioned, everyone can and will seem to be out against you.

I give you this example... stand at a decently busy street corner for... oh I dunno, 15 minutes ? One with a stop sign...
Now, take a look at the other drivers. How many of them come to a complete stop ? How many of them signal when turning. How many of them run the stop sign... How many are on cell phones? How many of them veer into the far lane when turning?

Point is, people are shitty drivers. They have airbags and seatbelts and steel inbetween them and another vehicle or the asphalt.

On a bike, you have nothing but luck, your safety gear (hopefully), and good riding/driving habits.

·
I eat YOUR r6
807 Posts
wootwoot....wassup dude im about to get my first 6 in a couple days and been rding dirtbike for 15+ yrs now but all i can tell you is streetbike as well as dirtbike,if you respect them,they will respect you and if you disrespect them well.............u know ive been down tons of times on a dirtbike off jumps and tracks and all but being down on the street is probobly totally different as your body is sanding off againt the pavement but hell man im not here ta scare ya ...................go ahead and get it and you will choose how it treats you either way................good luck thou man

ps if your stupid in a car you can also get killed very easily too just as on a dirtbike or sportbike..............

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
munoxide said:
wootwoot....wassup dude im about to get my first 6 in a couple days and been rding dirtbike for 15+ yrs now but all i can tell you is streetbike as well as dirtbike,if you respect them,they will respect you and if you disrespect them well.............u know ive been down tons of times on a dirtbike off jumps and tracks and all but being down on the street is probobly totally different as your body is sanding off againt the pavement but hell man im not here ta scare ya ...................go ahead and get it and you will choose how it treats you either way................good luck thou man

ps if your stupid in a car you can also get killed very easily too just as on a dirtbike or sportbike..............
true you can also get killed, but there's less of a chance when you have the frame of the car + safety measures added onto the car to help. on a motorcycle all you have is the gear you buy and luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Personally, I think anyone can start on the 6, if they have the head and common sense for it.. I started on a 6, my first bike ever.. I didnt test ride it let alone know how to shift and I rode off the lot, but I learned quickly.. Yes Ive been down, but it was learning, and Ive learned alot from it, and I doubt anyone who has ridden for any amount of time here hasnt dropped a bike..

Personally, I think your attitude going into bikes is screwed.. IMO your doomed to wreck already.. You said in your first post that you listen to the stories about all the people who wreck and die.. Right there, you are mind fucked.. The mind is powerful, and the second you get on that bike with those kind of thoughts in your head, ITS BAD! Thats how I wrecked, let my mind get to me.. My son told me I was gonna wreck and wouldnt come home, luckily it was on a wreck and I came home..

But I have to agree, if you dont have any driving experience, get a damn car first.. You have NO idea what its like out there until you are right in the middle of it.. Everyone says cars are out to kill bikers, I believe that to be a crock.. Accidents happen and most on motorcycles involving cars is the bikers fault (I know, some of you are thinking bs, but its true, go check statistics).. Drive around, cars are out to get EVERYONE, whether your on a bike, motorcycle, pedestrian, or car, THEY DONT CARE!

But its up to you, you just need to have a STRONG will and be VERY smart about things if you get a bike, especially being 16.. Im 23 and still forget sometimes to control my power.. I couldnt imagine being 16 when my hormones were totally ragin for speed...

·
Registered
194 Posts
DON'T BE A FRIGGIN IDIOT!!! Use your head whenever you ride.... :!: :!: :!:

Plus your too young you need to get experince in a car before a bike you really need to mature and become a good driver b4 you get a bike.

I lost 2 friends this year and on got injured trying to "look cool" if you do get a bike just remember Destiny is "CHOICE" not chance......

·
I eat YOUR r6
807 Posts
deltaonex said:
munoxide said:

true you can also get killed, but there's less of a chance when you have the frame of the car + safety measures added onto the car to help. on a motorcycle all you have is the gear you buy and luck.
well you should have TWO more things i think.......and that it common sense and skill which go hand in hand pretty much and there is less of a chance but if an idiot with no common sense buys a mustang cobra and a halfway smart person buys an r6.........the idiot is most likely to die in the car...........

·
I eat YOUR r6
807 Posts
DINO_ONE said:
DON'T BE A FRIGGIN IDIOT!!! Use your head whenever you ride.... :!: :!: :!:
straight up thats the best advice you can give..............anything and everything else that happens is totally up to you and yourself...........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.