Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going for my license on april 4th, is a r6 a bad beginner bike for anyone? im 5'7 135 pounds. id appreciate your input thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
For your size and weight I think it is terrible. I don't even think it is a good bike to start on if you are 250lbs. Its a lot of power. Personally I recommend getting a used ninja 250. Ride that for a year. So what you look like a tool, but it is only one year. Master that bike then move up. When you sell that bike you will not lose that much money as they are cheap and retain value. Another alternative is to buy a 600 bike that is more street suitable. Loon up older used 600 street bikes, not track bikes. This is my own opinion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com App

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
im going for my license on april 4th, is a r6 a bad beginner bike for anyone? im 5'7 135 pounds. id appreciate your input thanks
worst beginner bike ever. i hope it's not too late to get yourself a non-supersport bike. look at something smaller and less powerful like the ninja 250/500 or the sv650. not just because you're small, tho, but because you don't know what you're doing yet...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im think im goin to get a r6 but im not going to ride it hard at all, im ging to learn how to ride on it for a season i think

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
im think im goin to get a r6 but im not going to ride it hard at all, im ging to learn how to ride on it for a season i think
you won't believe this, but that's what a LOT of new riders say when they try to justify getting a supersport as their first bike.

hopefully, you can just trust us and believe that this is NOT a good idea. learn on something smaller. it's not just the power of the engine, it's also the ergo's of the bike. you will likely hurt yourself. possibly bad. maybe deadly. your choice...

s3aturnr

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Get a 250 and learn to ride it to its limits. You have no idea how satisfying it is to be able to say you can ride a bike to its limits. Or the satisfaction of passing a liter bike in a turn cause you learned the proper way to ride

·
I swear I wasn't speeding
67 Posts
I agree with the comments... my first (motor)bike was/is an R6. It is terrible to learn to ride on this bike. I know how to drive and I am responsible however i hardly ride to its capability. Seriously i rarely get it over 7000rpm. Even on the highway thats 80mph, and I hardly go that fast ever ! It is Very touchy in traffic and city driving. But im used to it and enjoy the performance capability- like buying a corvette or audi rs. You wouldnt learn to drive on these- but a responsible driver can be safe.

Now saying that I Love riding my R6!

'01 R6
'04 Silverado 6.0L

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
I know right? Rarely do I get over 8k rpm. Hell if you wind out third gear your pretty much doubling the speed limit anywhere your at, even the interstate. I remember taping over the gauge for my first track day. I taped over everything but a window so I could see 12-16k rpm. I only saw the needle a handful of times. At that high of a rpm everything is so sketchy

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
I know right? Rarely do I get over 8k rpm. Hell if you wind out third gear your pretty much doubling the speed limit anywhere your at, even the interstate. I remember taping over the gauge for my first track day. I taped over everything but a window so I could see 12-16k rpm. I only saw the needle a handful of times. At that high of a rpm everything is so sketchy
i wouldn't say its sketchy, not at all in fact, i would just say you weren't comfortable on the track yet and didn't have braking, shift, or other types of markers. i keep it over 9k the entire time, the only sketchy....ness i ever felt was wondering how long i have till the motor gos and i pray its not in a turn...and in rain, gets slippery hahaha

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
and the number 1 answer to the number 1 question on this forum, so dumb, heres a idea, i have a question, i want a answer so ill ask some of the most knowledgable people out there, o wait its not the answer i wanted, f*** it ill do what i want anyways and think i know more then all the people riding these bikes. gos right up there with "i just got a r6 whats the best mods to upgrade" (yeah cause you need more power and when you get the answer of a class like the brc then your ego says I'm better then that) and 1st crash i don't know what happen but it was defiantly someone else's fault like dirt in the road or someone came out in front of me (leaving out the fact they were doing 90 in a 45 cause 1st gear is fun) ugh and here i thought staying in the track tech forum would keep me away from all of this. kid if you even come back on here (which i doubt) get a 250, go to a class, do some track days, put your ego aside. trust me, a hurt ego because a bunch of idiots at a gas station giving you shit hurts a lot less then road rash and broken bones. and is quite a bit cheaper. ps i started on a r6, said exactly what you said, was down in 4 months. been there done that, not saying you will, but buying a 250 AFTER my wreck, i learned more in a week then in the 4 months id riden prior and was ready to hit the r6 ish months later and was a MUCH better and SAFER rider

·
Registered
268 Posts
No matter what any one says this guy is going to get a 600.I no i was dumb and started on a 2003 gsxr 1000.For nothing i never learned nothing on that bike it was heavy i could not turn to good i fell 3 times and got hit on the high way buy a lady.I rode that for 3 months an sold it waited a year and picked up my 07 r6. im 5'9 and 197 pounds

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Ye it was my first track day. I was having trouble looking far enough a head and it made things come at me faster than Im used to. But you're right its not sketchy when you do it right lol. I think a better word than sketchy would be twitchy

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
you won't believe this, but that's what a LOT of new riders say when they try to justify getting a supersport as their first bike.

hopefully, you can just trust us and believe that this is NOT a good idea. learn on something smaller. it's not just the power of the engine, it's also the ergo's of the bike. you will likely hurt yourself. possibly bad. maybe deadly. your choice...

s3aturnr
Listen to this guy, start on a 650/250/500 with standard ergonomics. I started out on the R6 and I sort of wish I started on a 250.

I had my first crash back in October on an off ramp do to freaking out/target fixation on an oilspot and if I were on a 250/500/650 would that have still happened? Who knows, but I would've probably reacted differently on a smaller less powerful/less twitchy bike.

·
Derp
1,308 Posts
Wrong section to be posting this... You're gonna get ate up.

R6, bad starter. /thread

And using the 1 season excuse? Only gonna ride it for a season..what does that mean? You're gonna "upgrade" to a liter bike? This just has bad written all over it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
From personal experience, start on a smaller bike. I've been riding motorcycles since I was a boy (in the dirt that is). When I finally got a big boy job I bought my R6 and thought my years of riding dirt would keep me safe. NOPE! I fell about 5 weeks after buying it being a retard (I'll admit it). I was going too fast for my own good and now my bike still doesn't look so pretty on the right side and my right arm is scarred for life (lucky my leathers prevented further damage). In the end its up to you, you can be responsible and ride safe, but it really is just TOO easy to crank that throttle and do something stupid. Good luck with your decision though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wrong section to be posting this... You're gonna get ate up.

R6, bad starter. /thread

And using the 1 season excuse? Only gonna ride it for a season..what does that mean? You're gonna "upgrade" to a liter bike? This just has bad written all over it.
Maybe this is the right section.

When it gets written off, we can buy it at salvage and turn it into a track whore. :D

And as a track whore is the only place an R6 is truly happy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts