Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys how's it going, I'm hopefully going to get a bike pretty soon. I'm 18 5'11 155. I'm a college student studying to be an Emt right now and aspire to be a Paramedic /Firefighter. I took the msf course in November I scored the highest in the class with 0 riding experience. I asked the MSF instructor if I could start on an r6 as long as I started slow (witch I plane to considering what I've seen in the field of study). I'm wondering what you guys think? It's either between a ninja 300/ sv650sf/ or 06- r6. All the same on insurance and go for the same price on craigslist. This is the r6 I'm looking at. Kbb says it's worth 4.5k. Is it a good deal? And what about as a first bike? Thanks for the responses and reading this and helping me out.

Here's the bike
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4389958767.html

·
Boom
65 Posts
Welcome!

$6000 is way too expensive for that bike, you should be able to find a similar bike for more like $4000. KBB isn't very good for motorcycles. R6 is dangerous as a first bike, but lots of people do it.

·
Newb
94 Posts
I got my '07 R6 for $5k just the other day.

And I wouldn't recommend it as a first bike. SV would be a better choice.
But I started on a cbr600rr. I still think I'd be a better rider if I started on something smaller.

Good luck with the career choice! I was EMT full time and went to college for medic. By the time I was done with medic class I was so is a way burnt out. Fire medic is the way to go though! No damn transports.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I started on an 05 r6 and took things slow learned the bike also took the MSF course passed with flying colours and 0 riding history as long as your not a hot head and let your ego get the best of you ( a guy i ride with started on a 250 ninja upgraded to a gixxer 600 crashed it 2 because he let his ego get the best of him, also was way out of his comfort level) this will be my 2nd season riding , don't get caught chasing people down because we have all seen it too many times, doesn't end well. heres a perfect video of a rider out of his comfort zone and target fixation.

if it was me id go r6 only because i love yamaha but 6000 is a lot for that . to each there own. i got a ridiculous deal on my bike so i couldn't pass it up, plus didn't see a point in getting a 250/300 (i ride full gear swell) then want to upgrade after a season.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
:wave

·
It'll make Ya' blind!
753 Posts
Never understood why people ask if the R6 is a good starter bike. Everyone has their .02 cents, but obviously you're wanting to hear people say "yah it's a great starter bike, go for it"

welcome to the forum :wave

·
Registered
65 Posts
Never understood why people ask if the R6 is a good starter bike. Everyone has their .02 cents, but obviously you're wanting to hear people say "yah it's a great starter bike, go for it"

welcome to the forum :wave
Could be worse. The OP could be asking if a liter bike or hyabusa is a good first bike. lol.

Sad but true, because I hear it all the time over at 1000rr.net.

As for me, I would always recommend a cheap clunker for a first bike. If you drop it you won't even care.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Aloha!!!

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
:wave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the responses but I guess I didn't clarify what I was asking. What would make the best first bike, ninja 300, sv 650, or a pre 06 r6?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I appreciate all the responses but I guess I didn't clarify what I was asking. What would make the best first bike, ninja 300, sv 650, or a pre 06 r6?
It's not that easy. The 300 is getting rave reviews, and the SV650 is cult legend. R6s are R6s and will always have advocates on this site.

You just gotta ask yourself what you expect out of your bike.

If it was me, I'd want rideability, decent performance, low price and dependability. Those three bikes could all fit the bill.

I'd personally opt for the 300 because it has a warranty if its new.

·
make the snow go away!!
215 Posts
As for me, I would always recommend a cheap clunker for a first bike. If you drop it you won't even care.
That! My first three bikes were used and been down before. I still liked them and didn't want to do any damage but now that I have a new perfect condition bike I'm just that much more worried about it.

Get whichever you want. The r6 is OK. I wouldn't recommend it but that doesn't really matter. Just keep looking for a better deal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
It'll make Ya' blind!
753 Posts
Buy a second gen r6... :werd

SV650 are pretty shitty in stock formation, I can't speak for the 300, but if it's anything like a '08 up ninja 250- then I'd pass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts