Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Never enough!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced fuel tank and put new chain and sprockets on. Now fuel pump won't power and engine will not crank. Gauges cycle as normal. No check engine light. I'm not a rookie and kill switch is on. Kickstand checks out. Neutral switch checks out. I can jump starter.
Acts like it would if kill switch is off. Check kill switch and it is connecting.
Only things I did were to remove tank, switch pump, pull fairings and replace chain and sprockets. Zero issues before this. Blinkers were only wires I touched short of unplugging fuel pump. And yes I've made sure fuel tank was plugged back in like 500 times. Backtracked everything at least five times. Suspect efi control relay or ecu. But why would it be running before and then not after? This thing has got me stumped. Ideas please.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
is the fuel pump priming when you turn it on? if not its not plugged in or you have i plugged in the wrong plug.

·
Never enough!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plugs cannot be mixed up. They only fit one way and I've had them on and off dozens of times. No, pump does not cycle. Just as if you turned key on with kill switch off. Its got me stumped and I've done a lot of bike work. Not a bike tech but I am a certified brp ski doo tech and worked on everything from evinrudes to sea doos. Garage is full of bikes I've kept going for years. Engines changed, heads redone, pistons replaced sect. This thing pisses me off.
Wow.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Plugs cannot be mixed up. They only fit one way and I've had them on and off dozens of times. No, pump does not cycle. Just as if you turned key on with kill switch off. Its got me stumped and I've done a lot of bike work. Not a bike tech but I am a certified brp ski doo tech and worked on everything from evinrudes to sea doos. Garage is full of bikes I've kept going for years. Engines changed, heads redone, pistons replaced sect. This thing pisses me off.
Wow.
There was another thread recently where a guy claimed there's two plugs on the bike that have the same shape/footprint/whatever and it'll make the bike not start if you get them swapped. This seems like crazy talk to me, it's not something I've ever experience, but if you can't find anything else wrong, you might want to do a second pass on the stuff you had unplugged just to make sure.

You said you *can* jump start it? If you can get it to run at all, then it can't be the fuel pump. If it refuses to fire the starter, it's got to be related to the clutch, neutral or side stand switch.

·
Never enough!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can jump the starter to crank but it wont start. I have gone thru everything again and it seems there is no power to the kill switch. I m thinking this has to be either ecu or efi starter relay? If anyone in northern wi has a 03 r6 I can use to test, please let me know.
I would pay to test.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Follow the power. You getting 12v at the plug in for the fuel pump (The harness on the bike side)? If you're not hearing the fuel pump kick on, and you are 110% sure you didn't mess with anything else, there is no sense in chasing your tail until you verify you have power to the fuel pump.

·
Never enough!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked for volts at tank. Nothing. Thought efi relay but in diagnostic mode I can't test coils or injectors. Also kickstand reads "on" in diag mode but doesn't change when flipped up or when I connected contacts at harness side of plug. Neutral switch does change in diag mode when shifted. All pointing to ecu. Diag code 16 comes up. 2 options with that code-throttle position sensor stuck open or malfunction in ecu. Diag test of tps won't work in diag mode.
Anyone else have computer problems with these? My wife is wondering why I bought this to replace her CBR? Which she's riding because this thing doesn't run.

·
Never enough!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeh, I checked fuse at relay---about a dozen times. Keep going back thinking I missed something. Tried different fuse just in case. Then tried another just in case that "other" fuse was bad.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
Oh yeh, I checked fuse at relay---about a dozen times. Keep going back thinking I missed something. Tried different fuse just in case. Then tried another just in case that "other" fuse was bad.
How far north are you located? Off topic but if ur a BRP tech either you work at a dealership or you belong in Mexico or canada! :fact

·
Never enough!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brp certified tech. Worked on ski doo sea doo bomb ATV then can am. Had dealership for 11 years. Like all small dealers we closed in 2009. Kids raced quads, and snow cross. son still races snowcross. Got out shortly after Mexican wheelers arrived.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
At first when i read the dealership closed in 09 i thought of Brule sports up by me. I send my cranks to a guy down in eagle river for rebuilds. We build a lot of motors out of our garage, mostly mod motors.

·
Never enough!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave Levit (stealth)for cranks? We had Manitowish Sports in Mercer. Micro or Nano dealership you'd say.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Ok you have checked the 15A EFI use in the fuse box under the left side handle bar? Did you try the 15A ignition fuse?

These bikes aren't known for ecu failures. I've had my tank off probably 20 times without issue. but they are known for TPS issues. often the bikes would stall but start back up. you could have an advanced case of failure.
the fault codes 15 and 16 are together on one chart. my factory service manual mentions the tps being open or shorted. and the computer fixes the signal to fully open. but it also says you should be able to start the engine and ride it. I'd start with the tps wiring. it's right up there by the tank. it's very possible the tank hoses have pulled on the wiring or something.

edit....
I just checked the fuses on mine since I'm in the garage, the ecu fuse definitely keeps the fuel pump from running and the bike from starting. (crank but no start) I guess that wouldn't be your issue.

The ignition fuse kills all the power to everything.

Did you also look at the code history? I'm wondering if it may have an issue with the tip over sensor. which kills the power to the fuel system

·
Never enough!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shouldn't you be able to actuate throttle in diag mode? I get nothing. Can't test injectors or coils.
I did check fuses under left panel. I will double check tps and efi wiring again. Usually these connectors are two fingernails tight but yes hoses may interfere. I'm also thinking ecu is rare which is why I'm second guessing everything. Does ecu not allow engine to crank if fuel pump doesn't run? Tip over switch will cut fuel pump but also crank ability? Grrrrrrrr.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts