Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, i had an awful day yesterday on the bike. i didn't lay it down, or wreck it, but i did run out of gas on the freeway, had to coast in the shoulder to the nearest gas station (about a half mile away), then at lunch came out to go to the local bike shop to "browse" and found that i had a flat rear tire. i musta picked up something while coasting on the shoulder of the freeway, and now i'm trying to decide whether or not to...

1) plug AND patch it (it's got about 500 miles on it already)
2) replace with exact match (dunlop qualifier)
3) replace with unmatched rear
4) replace with a decent track take-off ("i know a guy")

thoughts? i've got the tire/wheel already pulled and in the truck and already have the dunlop replacement on hold at the local shop ($180 for the tire/mount/balance OTD). i'm headed there at lunch unless y'all think there's a better/cheaper solution.

i don't MIND running mismatched tires, as long as i'm not adding risk to any of my rides.

quick suggestions would be greatly appreciated (as it is already 9 o'clock here and i'd like to take off to get it taken care of at about 1130).

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Go with the combination of the safest and cheapest options...it's like a just broke in tire ya know?

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
is the take off the same brand and model? how many miles are on it?how much does he want for it? is it off the rim already and accesible quickly?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump...

any benefit of sticking with the Dunlops over another brand other than "looks"?? are there any tires that are cheaper that are better?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the take off the same brand and model? how many miles are on it?how much does he want for it? is it off the rim already and accesible quickly?
well... the take offs are both tires, and are between $100-$150 depending on the brand and wear left on them. i'm leaning away from this option simply b/c i've run take-offs back when i was in college and they took a bit too long to warm up during regular street riding and were quite slick until they did.

but answer, i don't know the brand or wear of said take-offs.

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
If it were me I would probably patch it from the inside for street use, but I would not do any track time with it. If not, I would replace it with a new tire of the exact same brand/type/size.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
610 Posts
Unless your gonna be on the track, try to avoid any takeoffs for the street... unless thats all you can afford. I see your in tomball, have you checked out cycle gear on 45 to see what they have in stock

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless your gonna be on the track, try to avoid any takeoffs for the street... unless thats all you can afford. I see your in tomball, have you checked out cycle gear on 45 to see what they have in stock
lol... just got back from there. ended up going with an exact replacement for $180 OTD. not as good a price for the tire as i coulda got online elsewhere, but for only $20 more overall, i'll have it done in ONE DAY... as opposed to waiting 7-10 business days for it to arrive THEN get it mounted/balanced.

i see you're in spring... did you go to highschool around here? went to klein ('97) BEARKATS, bitch! :lmao

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright... to those that chimed in, i have on the bike now a brand new qualifier, and the guy at the shop said there's a 100 mile "break in" to get rid of the thin layer of silicone that they use in the mold to make the tire. how accurate is this 100 mile reference, and how "easy" do i need to be taking it before feeling comfortable enough to ride like normal???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts